Page 137 of 305 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 3045

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    @RevolverRob, I think Trijicon offered and adjustable LED RMR with a 1MOA dot. That might be what you need. I haven't looked through one, but I can imagine you could turn up the brightness, and still keep the dot relatively small, even with bloom. Heck, now that I typed that, maybe I should have gone that route
    For me it’s two-fold. Dots bloom and I prefer a 6 o’clock hold with a delta or straight line front sight, it works best with my brain. For the cost of going dot, I can have a Yost gold-line front sight installed and regulated by Harrison and have cash left over for ammo.

I really wish Trijicon would do a proper RMR with a delta, instead of the dual-illum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    I have been seriously considering doing this red dot setup on my 9mm full size rail build that's currently in process. I can see irons fine, thankfully no real vision issues (yet) but I'm super "dot curious". But I also keep thinking that perhaps the best way to "try it out" is to pick up a second hand GLOCK slide and give that a good solid run for a few months before I commit to having a 1911 slide set up for an RMR.

Following your progress over the next few weeks/months to see how you acclimate to it.
    I really like the idea but when I shoot my wife's g19/rmr I'm left unenthused. I love RMRs so it's not that, I have 1 on my go to carbine and my shockwave

I've also thought about the Ed Brown slide thats already milled. Add in the trijicon mount and you're looking at $500+ before the optic or the parts.
    Last edited by 03RN; 04-21-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post

This changes everything for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That gun looks sweet!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quick pic at work of the velcro and DIY generic foam wedge I put on my SME this morning. haha. It works well enough, until I can research and source some proper foam.

I don’t know enough to write anything in the Semi-auto RDS thread. But it’s coming around. And I think I’m figuring this out.

The Mantis is helping me evaluate more info post shot, cause I can’t process it all at once

Master grip is more critical than ever

Bright blooming dot let’s my brain let go of minutiae and shake. Dim crisp dot gives me too much unnecessary info

Bright dot let’s me run a light and not wash out the dot.

That’s all I got for now. And a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Quick pic at work of the velcro and DIY generic foam wedge I put on my SME this morning. haha. It works well enough, until I can research and source some proper foam.

That foam is probably going to compress pretty quickly, as in a matter of days... but it should give you a sense of if it's helpful for you or not.

If you like it, you can of course keep using foam like that (I did this for a couple years, making a new wedge every month or so) but I found that Dale Fricke sells this "Extra Girth Adaptor" which is a dense closed cell foam. I believe it's nearly the same material, or nearly the same, as the foam that you can buy for shaping kydex and is available on Amazon, etc. But I figured for $7 I'll give that a shot and see how it goes, especially if it lasts longer than that less dense foam which I was using from packing material when I would receive shipments via UPS, etc.

Another option is of course the "Are you gel'in'?" solution that Melody Lauer published on her blog a few years ago.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Name:  E9A2B51D-E4CC-4B48-8466-371F43ECA486.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  103.2 KB

Picked up this one a couple weeks ago and got it all cleaned up... Colt 1911 made in 1917 next to my grandpaws Winchester 1894 also made in 1917.

Name:  AD470E60-7936-479C-B6E4-061CEF470A05.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  100.9 KB

Missed the edit window, it’s a 1892 not a 1894, and a little of my megaforce landscaping...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    That foam is probably going to compress pretty quickly, as in a matter of days... but it should give you a sense of if it's helpful for you or not.

If you like it, you can of course keep using foam like that (I did this for a couple years, making a new wedge every month or so) but I found that Dale Fricke sells this "Extra Girth Adaptor" which is a dense closed cell foam. I believe it's nearly the same material, or nearly the same, as the foam that you can buy for shaping kydex and is available on Amazon, etc. But I figured for $7 I'll give that a shot and see how it goes, especially if it lasts longer than that less dense foam which I was using from packing material when I would receive shipments via UPS, etc.

Another option is of course the "Are you gel'in'?" solution that Melody Lauer published on her blog a few years ago.
    Appreciate the suggestions. I've actually used Keepers and JM wedges for the last five years on kydex holsters. I've been carrying that Wilson in a SME without a wedge for the last 18 months. Started working harder on fitness and loosing weight this year, and have lost enough (12lbs) that my jeans are much looser. I can already fit in the next size down no problem, but they're not that comfortable with a gun stuffed in them at my normal daily activity level.

The problem I've had since hitting the 10 pounds lost point is that the SME wants to shift unless I really cinch the belt down, which gets uncomfortable. I thought I'd try the wedge as a way to help keep it in place, hence the make-shift wedge as a testbed. Theory was proven, so now I'd like to get some new wedges, but I'd like to role my own this time around. I'll be into the other jeans soon enough, but I plan to keep the wedge for the normal benefits (moving muzzle away from body and tucking the grip).

Here's a crappy pic I took yesterday. You can see how bunched up my jeans are, and the belt is perfectly adjusted. I carry centerline, with the top edge of the holster runny basically down my zipper, and the Wilderness FF belt buck offset.

Last edited by StraitR; 04-26-2018 at 10:14 PM.

User Tag List