Thread: 1911 picture thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Gears View Post
    Finally got a full rail TRP.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Name:  61284784.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  31.8 KB

@That Guy let me know if this is better. I did throw a set of Rogers grips on the Classic.

Name:  93591C6F-D50A-462B-91BE-A0AA2336F5CE.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  74.4 KB
    Name:  28FCC07D-E5C9-46E8-8172-9B7904F703C3.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  81.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Saw this at the LGS for a hilariously low price. Had to bring it home.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    This...and how do you like the bobtail on a full size?
    Oops. I never answered this. When this pistol was built, the round butt on the 1911 was still a few years in the future. I had already spent some time with two Colt CCOs and two Baer Stingers as well as a handful of Defenders and Officer's ACP models. What I took from those is I preferred the Government Model length frame in terms of how well I shot the pistol. The Bobtail was an attempt to make the longer grip frame more concealable without sacrificing how it shot in my hands. For the most part, it was a success as it eliminates the same point the round butt does. Of course, the round butt is a simpler solution, not requiring the change to the Officer's ACP mainspring. As such, the Bobtail has faded away. But it did well for the time and the pistol is still very usable. The one issue is the magazine well opening is limited by the Bobtail. If you are used to a large magazine opening, the Bobtail is not for you.

The story behind the pistol itself is a weird one. I bought it from a friend who hates front strap traction treatments; he is kinda famous for this in the 1911 world. John had done little to it before it came to me, mostly fitting the grip safety and sights it still wears and doing an action job. The front strap, of course, was unmolested and the pistol was blued. At that time, I could take or leave various traction treatments. That all changed on hot, humid day when I drew the pistol, and it slipped from my hand and ended up in a stream. Once I recovered the pistol and got my daughter to stop laughing at me, I decided it was never happening again (the pistol flying into the stream as I keep doing stuff that makes my daughter laugh) and the front strap was going to be checkered. I decided on 20 lpi as it was the stickiest at the time. Since John was going to be doing the checkering and a refinish was going to be required, I decided to see if it could be made easier to conceal. Hence the Bobtail. At the time, I was also remembering it had been dumped into the stream and decided the finish needed to be better than bluing. John was working on various projects with George Smith at EGW at the time, and that pistol ended up being one of test guns for the EGW version of nitride, E-Treat.

While both the Bobtail and E-Treat have faded away, the pistol itself is a great tool.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Gears View Post
    Saw this at the LGS for a hilariously low price. Had to bring it home.
    I am an avowed Rail Hater and FDE Skeptic, and I could not pass that gun up if I saw a deal on it. It’s just moto AF.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Name:  B679D853-9EC9-4B82-8F7E-F1024C7921C5.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  76.9 KB
    Colt Series 80 by John Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Millbarge View Post
    Name:  B679D853-9EC9-4B82-8F7E-F1024C7921C5.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  76.9 KB
    Colt Series 80 by John Harrison.
    That is a gorgeous pistol. I love the classic rowel hammer on the five-inch pistol. The grip safety fit with that hammer is awesome. Much better than the rat tail as seen below.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

John is a maestro.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That is a gorgeous pistol. I love the classic rowel hammer on the five-inch pistol. The grip safety fit with that hammer is awesome. Much better than the rat tail as seen below.
    Is that a Harrison retro rear sight? I've avoided looking at many GI models for a project because I need better sights but that looks like something I could live with and I could adjust the budget to just have front sight work done.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is that a Harrison retro rear sight? I've avoided looking at many GI models for a project because I need better sights but that looks like something I could live with and I could adjust the budget to just have front sight work done.
    Novak charges $75 for the rear sight machining. If I'm reading you right, I'd surely cut something else out of the budget before nixing the rear sight install. Or increase the budget by $75...

"Sights you can see, and a trigger you can manage" - Jeff Cooper

User Tag List