Page 272 of 307 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 3063

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Not a super special custom gun but I love it! It's a Colt CCG with some changes. I found it on a "for sale" forum several years ago and subjected my family to two four-hour (ish) drives to go do the private party paperwork in San Deigo. In CA we get to wait ten days to pick up a gun. I'm a huge fan of having no front serrations, vertical rear serrations, a ring hammer with a beavertail, short trigger, and Novak sights. It's a 90s classic custom look to me... The guns I grew up reading about. I'm thinking it's going to be my companion on a really big important (and very much life-changing) trip in the next couple weeks.

So... back to getting the gun... we're on our way back from the pickup and I decide to do some function checks and immediately notice the scant safety. UGGGHHH! In my excitement reading the add I thought the seller had said the gun came (like...from the factory) with a ring hammer. Instead, he was saying he had installed a Colt ring hammer. The factory CCG had the skeletonized modern style version. A new hammer often requires a new safety. Ok... Don't freak out... not that big of a deal. My department's Senior Armorer is more than the title... He's a very good pistol smith and likes to build 1911s. He replaced the safety with a Wilson Combat version (my preferred due to the beveling at the rear of the safety) and threw in a short trigger at the same time as well. It's reliable, accurate, and the only thing I'd like to do in the future is add a front sight with a gold bead just because.

The guitar background is a Fender Stratocaster Professional II that my wife bought me a bit over a year ago. It's a way better guitar than I deserve, but man it plays great.

Last edited by SoCalDep; 07-03-2022 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    Colt factory pencil barrels are generally tossed in the trash during a build and for good reason. When re-building a gun the cost to have them laser welded probably exceeds the cost of a new kart barrel. And a new kart barrel is objectively better than a factory colt pencil barrel.

But........I wanted to know what potential they had if properly re-fit. Kinda like trying to salvage an original engine rather than dropping in a new one. Why not? The owner of this gun was going to leave the factory pencil barrel as is. He was kind enough to indulge me in my curiosity and let me get them laser welded and then refit them.

Lower lugs:
    Attachment 90316

Hood:
    Attachment 90317

Upper radial fitting pads I requested, the welder knocked it out of the park:
    Attachment 90318

Closer detail:
    Attachment 90319

The slide to frame fit is left un-touched from the factory. Not tight but not horribly sloppy. Around .005" play up and down and side to side. I added a EGW bushing.

This is the host gun:
    Attachment 90320

I was super pumped to learn that it seems that these factory barrels shoot quite well when re-fit. These groups were shot off hand at 20 yards:

Wilson Combat 125gr, around 2-2.5":
    Attachment 90321

Atlanta Arms 115gr, around 2-2.5"
    Attachment 90322

And to steal the show, ASYM 115gr match ammo, a smidge under 1.5"
    Attachment 90323

Not to shabby for a pencil barrel!
    FWIW, Kart has a PDFed article linked on their main page about accuracy results from various 1911 barrels in a test fixture (that is, not fired from a 1911, but fixed in place)...a factory Colt barrel (in fact, most non-junk 1911 barrels) aren't all that far apart at 50 yards with accuracy. I'm not saying it's not worth it to fit a barrel to the gun; don't get me wrong - I'm just saying, as great as Kart barrels are (and they are great, and a great company to do business with)...if time isn't an issue, you can make factory Colt barrels do some good work with some fitting. That is, from what I've read; I'm not a gunsmith

I have stripped a Jim Clark conversion of a Colt 1911 (in .45) that was originally done in '55. Shot so much that it had to be set back to Jim in '77 for a rebuild. On the rebuild he fitted a new Series '70 Colt barrel, so they were then up to his standards.

Jim Clark senior built .38 Special 6" longslide completed in 1970.

Meanwhile, at the budget end: Rental RIA "base" model I shot while on the road in the RV, back to back with my G34 game gun.

Name:  IMG_1139.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  100.4 KB

I hope to add a post in future with an ah, personally owned, 5" .45 (it won't be a RIA, however, good value though they are).

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Jim Clark senior built .38 Special 6" longslide completed in 1970.
    Man oh man…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Ani't just a pretty thing? And, with his pistols, beauty wasn't merely skin deep.

Playing around with new holiday appropriate grip panels and background. Should have used more light...

Name:  IMG_5580.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  85.2 KB

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Set up the light box and then played with the photo editor. Which one looks best?

Name:  IMG_5581.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5581 (2).jpg
Views: 471
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5581-3.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5582 (2).jpg
Views: 470
Size:  100.2 KB

User Tag List