Page 5 of 305 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 picture thread

My one and only 1911 is a Rock Island Armory tactical model that was part of a group buy at the other gun forum I hang out on. While the fit and finish isn't up there with most of the other guns I've seen in this thread, it's fun to shoot, and pretty accurate. Plus I got a great price on it.

Name:  2012-03-18_19-20-36_817.jpg
Views: 2315
Size:  52.5 KBName:  2012-03-18_19-23-36_830.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  41.5 KB

My Springfield TRP Operator

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Name:  v10dragon.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  87.1 KB

A Springfield V-10 from back before I knew better than to buy bitty little chopped-down "1911s". STI trigger, Wilson beavertail (kinda mandatory on a factory Springer because of the contour on the frame, else I'd have used a Brown,) the tallest aftermarket rear sight we could find because the thing shot crazy low @ 7 yds right out of the box, Navidrex contoured grip panels... I think I got it back in '01 and wound up trading it for a PC627 in '03 or '04.

I'll also note that I still thought hex-head grip screws were cool, apparently. Boy, it's like seeing a kiddie picture with birthday cake smeared on your face...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I also have an itty bitty Defender, (in case I actually get around to trying to get my CCW) but who wants to see that unreliable piece of junk. (it has actually been utterly reliable for me)

This '70 is much more fun to look at. Love this pistol, even though Blocks are better. Pics aren't great, did 'em kinda quick, but you get the idea.

I didn't pay much for it, it was retired from a PD, and I've put ~7000 rounds through it since I've had it.

So far, I've done all the work myself. It may got to a smith for slide to frame fit and barrel.
    EGW extractor and .203" slide stop, firing pin stop
    NM tight match bushing and barrel crown
    Millet sights, old skool arched checkered MSH
    Medium plastic Colt trigger (it's lightweight and comfortable), STIs are ooogly. Trigger job = clean 3#.
    Grip safety dehorn
    Marvel disco rail cut
    Disconnector clearanced for rounds in magwell
    Rail and recoil spring tunnel dehorned and polished as well as feed ramp, breechface, ouside of barrel, inside of slide, etc...and lots more to go, next is slightly extended mag release.
    Mainly slide to frame fit and clean up and refinish...maybe. It's starting to feel like a higher end 1911, it just doesn't look like one.

BEHOLD!!!!!

"The best blue gun..."

- Full Time Geek
    - NRA Certified Instructor
    - USPSA Competitor (A-69999)

Quote Originally Posted by DWB View Post
    I also have an itty bitty Defender, (in case I actually get around to trying to get my CCW) but who wants to see that unreliable piece of junk. (it has actually been utterly reliable for me)
    -- A friend has a blisteringly reliable Defender, too -- couple K on it and it hasn't bobbled, rarely cleaned, 2.5" groups with handloads. It really shouldn't work, but apparently it does. Shows what we know.

Quote Originally Posted by DWB View Post

Man, that thing is SCREAMING to be built into a MEU(SOC) clone!

ghetto, it just about is one, though not intentionally, it's just working through parts and going with what works. It's changed some since the pics, still evolving.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    -- A friend has a blisteringly reliable Defender, too -- couple K on it and it hasn't bobbled, rarely cleaned, 2.5" groups with handloads. It really shouldn't work, but apparently it does. Shows what we know.
    CT Brian is a 1911 pro that builds officer's size 1911s more often than most it seems. I emailed him when I got it and asked what I should change or watch out for. He said change the entire recoil assy every ???? rounds and shoot it, Defenders run, and I have run into that theme elsewhere. I think they have improved the Officer size.

User Tag List