Page 234 of 307 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 3063

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks! I've got my eye on one but don't know if I want to follow this particular trail yet. My carpal tunnel wants to know, is felt recoil about the same as an alloy model?
    No, IMO. Alloy guns are snappier. There is something about the polymer frame and slightly wider backstrap that makes the poly feel softer—like an 85/15 combination of a Gov’t model and a Glock 17. I had the poly at the range with an ancient Kimber custom, a Springfield Gov’t and a lightweight commander, and the Poly was as agreeable as the 5” steel guns. It’s as close to a free lunch as it gets. It’s been a while since I had all 3 frame materials to compare, but I still have reasonably vivid memories of how surprising the Poly was in that regard. It’s not night and day, but I do remember how controllable the Poly was, because it was so noteworthy.

It’s still no G17–any 1911 running 230 ball or Gold Dot will put stress on your elbows and wrists given enough exposure, again, IMO, but the Poly is on the mellower side.

@fatdog @45dotACP

Many thanks! As long as it’s not comparable to a compact/sub-compact in felt recoil I think we’ll be OK. Or I can just take some ibuprofen before hitting the range, naproxen sodium after and telling my wrists to shut up.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Many thanks! As long as it’s not comparable to a compact/sub-compact in felt recoil I think we’ll be OK. Or I can just take some ibuprofen before hitting the range, naproxen sodium after and telling my wrists to shut up.
    It’s not even in the same league as, say, my lightweight commander. I’ll wait for current owners, like the dudes I tagged to, er, weigh in and backstop my now-fading memory of how mellow the Poly is, but I will absolutely state that it’s a lot closer to full-size steel Gov’t than *any* compact or lightweight alloy gun. If you still enjoy shooting 5” 1911s, you’ll love the RR—and not just because it’s easy on the joints. The factory sights and quality fit on the guns is also memorable.

Dammit, now I sort of want one again, and I swore to myself that i was going to pare down the calibers I stock...

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    ...to pare down the calibers I stock...
    pare UP to the 45

The Poly is indeed comparable to a full size steel government model in terms of felt recoil. I can no longer endure a 150+ round practice session with my alloy frame commander or my alloy frame colt XSE, but with the Poly my wrist and hands hold up as well as they do with my all steel government models.

I did pick up one NIB that had big time extractor tension issues (almost none) but that was an easy fix. The used one I obtained at the expense of a now slightly remorseful seller (he will admit it) did not have extractor issues. My only complaint is the grip is a bit wide, think 2011 girth. and the frame is wide enough that you cannot fit most standard 1911 holsters. It will fit in all of the 2011 holsters I have tried, and all of the holsters configured for the Springfield railed frames, including the JMCK version which is how I currently carry it.

I shot a 2011 frame so long in USPSA it is not difficult for me but in a single stack gun I wanted a change. I resolved the grip girth a bit by filing down the grip screw bushings to accept 1911 thin G10 grips and I like that a lot better. You cannot simply change the grip screw bushings because they are molded into the frame, so careful filing is required to get thin 1911 grips in place with the correct length grip screws.

Accuracy is excellent, on par with custom guns. Rear sight is a Novak cut but the front is a proprietary dovetail, although I have found no reason to want to replace the sights at this point. I modified the existing rear to be a wider U notch with careful filing and I am very happy with the set up.

I think fitting an ambi safety might be a challenge because of the non-standard frame width, but the factory version works very well and I have no desire to change that either.

All in all, excellent pistol for lighter weight carry without the recoil punishment of an alloy frame. Just expect you might need extractor work because I am not the first person to report substandard extractor tension on a RRA gun.

Site Supporter
    I checked and adjusted extractor tension before firing a single round through mine and it has been excellent.

Accuracy is as good as any pistol I've fired and my only gripe is holster selection is different from a standard 1911 and the thumb safety was impossibly stiff. So much that I filed it somewhat so I could actually use it.

It's POI was pretty low for me, so I also filed the front sight down somewhat and cold blued it.

It is far and away superior to any other 1911 that shares it's price tag however, and as comfortable to shoot as a 5" steel gun while weighing a bit less.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

A simple John Harrison pistol.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    A simple John Harrison pistol.
    Very nice.
    Details/specs of the build?

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Very nice.
    Details/specs of the build?
    This...and how do you like the bobtail on a full size?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List