Page 233 of 307 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 3063

Thread: 1911 picture thread

This 1911 pistol was given to me by a retired Colonel, US Army. It was his sidearm during his long military career. The Colonel was having progressive dementia, and knew that he would one day not recall its significance and meaning. The leather holster is dated 1944. I am not certain how old the frame is, but a quick search on Colt's serial number archives suggests that it was made in 1912.

It does not matter to me how old the pistol is. What touched me was that this decorated officer would entrust me with his sidearm, knowing that his sunset was rapidly coming. Every Veteran's day I think of this Colonel, take out the pistol, and appreciate its history, and appreciate the man.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The only two options for chopping are going to be a Chambers RDS cut or chopped to someone else's collection if I can't get comfortable with it.
    Well, you know there's some interest here. One good thing about the long rail SA, if you have to smack somebody with it, they're going to stay smacked.

The problem I had was a holster. I took the heat gun to a Safariland (3004? 6004?) and got it to where I could use it. I never considered carrying it off duty.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

One good thing that come out of this nearly bankrupt state

Name:  22574A74-007D-4FE6-A8DF-CA14BF9ACA7D.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  101.9 KB
    Name:  3890DC42-7E22-40AF-9EB1-F700B8337748.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  102.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Incredible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Name:  22574A74-007D-4FE6-A8DF-CA14BF9ACA7D.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  101.9 KB
    Name:  3890DC42-7E22-40AF-9EB1-F700B8337748.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  102.3 KB
    That's a beauty! Any details?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    That's a beauty! Any details?
    This was a full house build by Jim Garthwaite. @newyork’s and @theJanitor’sColts were inspirations. If you go back in this thread a ways I posted the build sheet earlier this year, but pretty much everything you can ask for was done to this 1911.

Except for a flush cut and deep crowned barrel cause that’s not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The whole idea of the poly was to bring RR quality to a (barely) below 1k street price. The guns go up pretty quickly from the polymer’s $1025 retail; they are indeed not cheap guns. New street on this one is 9 to $950; of course, used is less. I’m extremely happy with the quality for what I paid. And, I love the sight picture—I forgot to mention that.

As my profile notes: connoisseur, not collector. This is a great freaking gun for the price. Plus, I can beat it like a Glock. Everyone needs a gun that wears like a G19, and shoots like a DW valor. JMB tupperware; I’m in.
    @Totem Polar, are you still on the RRA Poly train? If so, are you still digging it? If not, what made you jump off?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    @Totem Polar, are you still on the RRA Poly train? If so, are you still digging it? If not, what made you jump off?
    Not Totem Poler, but I'm still a fan of mine

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I sold it to a buddy here. That said, I have nothing bad to say about the Poly experience, it’s a great gun; my selling was to focus on 9mm Glocks and my revolvers. If I wasn’t getting away from 1911s, I’d still have the poly.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I sold it to a buddy here. That said, I have nothing bad to say about the Poly experience, it’s a great gun; my selling was to focus on 9mm Glocks and my revolvers. If I wasn’t getting away from 1911s, I’d still have the poly.
    Thanks! I've got my eye on one but don't know if I want to follow this particular trail yet. My carpal tunnel wants to know, is felt recoil about the same as an alloy model?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List