Page 44 of 308 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Haven't got to shoot that Wilson yet, but this just came back from the spa at Innovative Custom Guns.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Haven't got to shoot that Wilson yet, but this just came back from the spa at Innovative Custom Guns.
    Jim does nice work. I have one of his builds and it has been nothing but reliable.

Site Supporter
    TheJanitor is to 1911s what Nyeti is to wheelguns...you guys need to do a blog together.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    TheJanitor is to 1911s what Nyeti is to wheelguns...you guys need to do a blog together.
    what he said...

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Thanks, but no, I'm a complete amateur. I just chase what moves me.

Some amateurs are very gifted amateurs, and I think what people are (correctly) suggesting is that you are one of them.

So this arrived today. A "Custom Tactical Gov't Model" probably sold around 1999-2001. There were three levels, but I never saw two that were the same. A conversation with a friend today confirmed the same, as his LevelIII had a different spec as well. Makes me think that Colt was building them to whatever spec suited them that day.

From the colt catalog in 1999:

• 01991LIII Custom tactical level III: Features long solid Videcki aluminum trigger with over travel adjustment, match grade hammer, slim tactical ambi safety lock, full length guide rod, recessed Bo-Mar adjustable rear and Heinie dovetailed front sight system, custom fit upswept wide grip safety with palm swell, funnel mag well, flat checkered mainspring housing and Double Diamond Rosewood stocks with Custom Shop Medallion. Targeted to no more than 2" @ 25yds.

Last edited by theJanitor; 06-25-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    So this arrived

From the colt catalog in 1999:
    That is right about the time Kimber was starting to kick their butt and I'm guessing they were having to dig deep to find parts to compete.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I had a Kimber from the "Custom Shop" back in 97. That was a great gun, and this would have fared well against it, with the Kimber edging out the Colt for better overall feel. But, this pistol's beavertail is fit VERY well, as is the thumb safety. The Kimber's beavertail fitment was crude by comparison. I think it'll make a great base model for a custom build, as much of the work is already done. All it needs is checkering, a new MSH, and a trigger job.

If anyone knows of an elegant solution for replacing the rear sight with a unit that doesn't hang so far off the back, I'd appreciate a link. Oh, and I don't consider the Harrison or 10-8 to be elegant I like the Jardine, but I think I would have to have the rear section machined back.

A few of my Dan Wessons:

User Tag List