Page 259 of 305 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261269 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,590 of 3045

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I've got a Colt awaiting it's THUG conversion.
    There’s some controversies about MARS floating around the inter webs right now. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I've got a Colt awaiting it's THUG conversion. Since you've got one, your idea of "quicker" might not match other peoples' What's Reid's turnaround time these days
    1 year

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    There’s some controversies about MARS floating around the inter webs right now. Good Luck.
    Yeah. Same old stuff. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not sufficiently in touch with the interwebs to know about any such controversies.

I've had absolutely no success contacting Steve Morrison in the past two years, by either phone (several numbers, including his cell phone) or email (several accounts), though he's had a pre-paid NIB stainless Series 70 Colt 1911 of mine for over TEN YEARS now, and prior to the last two years, he had given multiple promises and assurances of its being "almost finished."

I have taken no direct action on this, and have counted him a friend, having known him for many years and having been to his shop many times. (He doesn't answer knocks on the door, BTW.) I have no interest in discrediting him or doing any sort of harm to his reputation.

If you don't mind, please elaborate about the controversies you mentioned, or PM me about them.
    I still hope to get my gun back, even if not finished.

Thx.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not sufficiently in touch with the interwebs to know about any such controversies.

I've had absolutely no success contacting Steve Morrison in the past two years, by either phone (several numbers, including his cell phone) or email (several accounts), though he's had a pre-paid NIB stainless Series 70 Colt 1911 of mine for over TEN YEARS now, and prior to the last two years, he had given multiple promises and assurances of its being "almost finished."

I have taken no direct action on this, and have counted him a friend, having known him for many years and having been to his shop many times. (He doesn't answer knocks on the door, BTW.) I have no interest in discrediting him or doing any sort of harm to his reputation.

If you don't mind, please elaborate about the controversies you mentioned, or PM me about them.
    I still hope to get my gun back, even if not finished.

Thx.
    Basically just variations of your story from multiple people.

Site Supporter
    The “Truth” (Series I Kimber s/n 8xxx) with a one off set of VCD grips modeled after a “tree bark” texture I have done on my Glocks etc. Been carrying it a bit as the weather turned cold.

I need to shoot it a bit and decide if it will go into the line up.

One a side note, I took off the Wilson slip on mag well. While it has always been a solid piece of kit, I noticed that because of the OEM beveling of Kimber, (0.69 ish down to 0.56) when in place the mag well was actually a bit narrower that without (0.59) If I had any smithing skills, I would “blend” the slip on to the gun.

Name:  FB96659D-E766-45E0-9A6B-1B071F3A3709.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  52.1 KB
    Name:  D6CBE2E7-F94A-48C0-84B7-8AE435B083B8.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  60.8 KB
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 01-20-2022 at 11:12 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post

Thx.
    If I had a dollar for every time I have heard this story told about a gunsmith, I would be a rich man. A similar scenario happened to me a few years back with a rifle gunsmith.

It's like they teach this stuff in gunsmithing school.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time I have heard this story told about a gunsmith, I would be a rich man. A similar scenario happened to me a few years back with a rifle gunsmith.

It's like they teach this stuff in gunsmithing school.
    What was the final resolution with your rifle? Asking as someone who also has skin in the game with MARS.

This thread has taken a right turn, mods may want to split this off...

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    What was the final resolution with your rifle? Asking as someone who also has skin in the game with MARS.
    Sorry if my post misled, my situation was not with MARS.

My situation happened in 2010 with another local gunsmith. He was putting a new barrel on an action for me and originally quoted 4-6 weeks. It ended up taking 5 months and he finally finished when I threatened to come pick up the action and take it somewhere else. When I shot the finished product, it shot great but left lines in the brass so the chamber wasn't done properly. He took it back to finish it and since it wasn't completed after another 12 months, I took it to another guy who refinished the chamber.

A good friend put down $2,900 on a custom rifle, from a well known gunsmith in Wyoming, and was promised 6 weeks. He ended up getting it almost a year later.

This story can be repeated a thousand times. I honestly don't think that there is a lot of money in gunsmithing until you get a good reputation going and can charge whatever you want. Since my last experience I have found a guy who is 5 minutes from my house, turned around my project in 2 weeks for a reasonable price, and the gun shoots fantastic.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    SC

if you have a quality guy local whose turnaround can be measured in weeks, not months or years, you might consider having him to do whatever you want done sooner v. later. It seems like these folks, once the word gets out, their work becomes near unobtanium as well.

Generally:

I have only experienced this phenomenon in holsters. A local kydex bender made me wait months for a 2 week job. I had to go to the shop to collect my gear. No price break. No apology. He is no longer in business.

I am told that Cylinder and Slide back in the day had you cue up and they did not have you send in the pistol until your work window opened up. The result was the process might take a 12 to 18 month overall, but you were only out the pistol a 6-8 weeks.

The cynic in me thinks that a lot of these folks know that the "value/amount of loss" in a sub 1000.00 base pistol is not worth suing over in small claims court when it can cost you 300+ just to get the case filed and the guy served six states away. Add some value for your time to figure it all out and you are "losing" money to pursue it further.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List