Page 244 of 305 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,440 of 3045

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Site Supporter
    Works for Easter too...

My only "real" 1911

Earlyish Kimber Classic Custom. My first 1911 was a Springfield 1911-a1, circa 1991. Plenty accurate and reliable, but it was missing all of the parts that make (for me) a 1911 shootable. I was dreaming and drooling over those glossy Wilson Custom catalogs. It was sold and Kimber came out with their offering -- it just seemed to make sense to me. I think I paid ~$550 for it, which was ~$1500 less than a comparable Wilson (I know, I know, they're not actually "comparable," but you get my point). I couldn't stand the cheap phosphate finish so I had a guy (BEAST Enterprises from the old IDPA listserve, where I first encountered TLG) paint it for me.

This Kimber has done good duty for me. I can't say it's never had a bobble, but they are few and far between--and always with (my primary diet of) handloads. It's been through a couple of sets of Heinie Straight 8s and the front is due for a replacement (I no longer prefer tritium in the rear, and may end up going with FO). The best IWB I've ever used is the Ky-Tac Braveheart, and it makes carrying this heavy beast a breeze--even if it does wear off the paint on some of the edges. I keep meaning to buy it a respectable set of grips but I've never gotten around to it...

I say this is my only real 1911 because I just purchased a Wilson EDCx9. I think I saw Tamara state that "real" 1911's are .45, 5" and steel, so there you have it! The jury is still out on the EDC. I only have 100 rds through it.

Name:  IMG_5942.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  52.6 KBName:  IMG_5943.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  52.9 KBName:  IMG_5946.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  58.9 KBName:  IMG_5947.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6360.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  77.7 KB

I'm close friends with the owner of Combat Precision, based in Atlanta, GA. I got to meet him & 1 of his customers at the range yesterday for a little tuning he was doing on a few of the customers pistols, plus some friendly competitive shooting like "best 3 rounds at 25yds", or "9 rounds in 3 rounds of 3, each shot is SHO, WHO, or Freestyle and changing shot type between each round", etc. Super fun to get to shoot great guns, laugh a lot with good friends, all while trying not to blow our entire ammo inventory in one range trip.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

My partner and I are teaching another 1911 certification course this week. I don’t pull my 1911s out as often as I used to, but when I do, it’s like backing that classic muscle car out of the garage.

This particular example came in a multi-gun trade and started as a very plain Springfield Loaded. The only change when I got it was a GI recoil spring setup, which I’m all for. I added an 18.5lb Wolff recoil spring, 10-8 rear sight, S&A mag well and our department Armorer, who is rad with a 1911, fitted a short trigger, commander ring hammer, and single-side thumb safety. I added the old-style sandpaper grips from a Springfield TRP.

It’s one of the tightest locking 1911s I have owned and shoots great. It’s my “Inspired by” old school MEUSOC gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Chuck Rogers
    www.RogersPrecision.com
    Cheap-Fast-Good............pick any two.

Quote Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post

I like the way you did the hammer and the thumb safety on this one. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post

Oh my, that's sexy.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Back on February 25th, I sent the Colt Custom Shop this:

Name:  IMG_0262-edited.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  94.2 KB

What I got back today, was this...fresh from the box, just wiping off the preservative:

Name:  IMG_0872-cropped.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  91.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_0876-cropped.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  99.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0880-cropped.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  48.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0886-cropped.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  34.6 KB

After I stripped it and cleaned all the preservative, relubed and now ready to go:

Name:  IMG_0888-cropped.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  99.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0891-cropped.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  100.1 KB

I had them do their Tactical Package, 25lpi checkering all around, and the only additions/changes were asking them to fit, and then cut/crown a NM barrel, and the ball cuts in the slide. Standard service blue, as I prefer blue...and I plan on shooting/carrying this thing a lot, so I didn't necessarily want to spring for some super pretty finish that would just have to be redone in a couple of years. I'll see how it holds up, and maybe look into DLC in the future if I need to...

Super, super happy with it, and I almost literally cannot wait to get it to the range! I've got a JRC Watson for it on order as well, so I'll be even more superer happier when this all congeals and comes together in one big awesome holster/blaster combination...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Back on February 25th, I sent the Colt Custom Shop this:

Name:  IMG_0262-edited.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  94.2 KB

What I got back today, was this...fresh from the box, just wiping off the preservative:

Name:  IMG_0872-cropped.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  91.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_0876-cropped.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  99.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0880-cropped.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  48.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0886-cropped.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  34.6 KB

After I stripped it and cleaned all the preservative, relubed and now ready to go:

Name:  IMG_0888-cropped.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  99.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0891-cropped.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  100.1 KB

I had them do their Tactical Package, 25lpi checkering all around, and the only additions/changes were asking them to fit, and then cut/crown a NM barrel, and the ball cuts in the slide. Standard service blue, as I prefer blue...and I plan on shooting/carrying this thing a lot, so I didn't necessarily want to spring for some super pretty finish that would just have to be redone in a couple of years. I'll see how it holds up, and maybe look into DLC in the future if I need to...

Super, super happy with it, and I almost literally cannot wait to get it to the range! I've got a JRC Watson for it on order as well, so I'll be even more superer happier when this all congeals and comes together in one big awesome holster/blaster combination...
    My goodness...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List