Page 281 of 308 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283291 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,810 of 3074

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    This is gorgeous. Who was the builder?
    Burton!
    A custom 1911 is like a fine piece of ass, there is no known substitute... and neither are cheap.

Just in from Woodcaliber: grips made from American Holly. I've owned real ivory grips in years past, as well as several of the substitutes and these are as close to ivory as I've seen. The grain is very tight and straight, much like ivory. Being a natural material, the Holly has a nice warm feel, rather than the cold, slick feel of a synthetic. It will also yellow over time, much like ivory. Quite nice.

Name:  173467785.1b88502f.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  25.6 KB
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Thanks for the visual @Trooper224. I’ve been kicking around American Holly for a couple of projects.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

@Trooper224 That looks great! I was going back and forth on ordering a set of American holly panels from Wood Caliber for several months. Then VZ Grips ran a great deal over holidays and I found their G10 "ivory" panels and decided to try those to see if I liked the look. They're mounted on my No. 1 Guncrafter Industries in .50GI. I'll probably order a set of American holly from Wood Caliber next.

Here's the polished version of VZ's Ivory G10 Micarta.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks for the visual @Trooper224. I’ve been kicking around American Holly for a couple of projects.
    You're quite welcome. I really like it, far more than any of the artificial substitutes, which can actually be more expensive. A couple of years ago I thought about acquiring another set of ivories. After a quick search I decided the current pricing is too high on the mountain, for me. The Holly is a nice alternative. It's not ivory but it's not fake either, if you know what I mean. This is my fourth set from Wood Caliber and the company is first rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    @Trooper224 That looks great! I was going back and forth on ordering a set of American holly panels from Wood Caliber for several months. Then VZ Grips ran a great deal over holidays and I found their G10 "ivory" panels and decided to try those to see if I liked the look. They're mounted on my No. 1 Guncrafter Industries in .50GI. I'll probably order a set of American holly from Wood Caliber next.
    Nice. Then grain on the Holly isn't high figure or dramatic. But, I wanted the grain structure visible and checkering would have obscured it, so I went with a smooth surface. I may pick up a set of checkered Holly though, for reasons.

I tried a beautiful set of smooth fine wood panels from Jon at High Figure Grips and I found them to not have enough purchase for me. Thus, I've limited myself to checkered panels. That, like you said, obscures the nice details of fine wood panels. I wood(!) like a set of holly panels for the "nice warm feel" too.

All these light colors are making me jealous.

Had to go change out to a light color as well.
    White cocobolo.

Name:  IMG_20230314_162344783-01.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  51.4 KB

Not sure if I want to stay with the two tone or stay light...

Name:  IMG_20221209_105308398.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  61.9 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I tried a beautiful set of smooth fine wood panels from Jon at High Figure Grips and I found them to not have enough purchase for me. Thus, I've limited myself to checkered panels. That, like you said, obscures the nice details of fine wood panels. I wood(!) like a set of holly panels for the "nice warm feel" too.
    I'm hoping this set works out. The checkering on the front strap and mainspring house is pretty aggressive and the wood itself isn't really slick, so we'll see.

User Tag List