Page 243 of 307 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253293 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,430 of 3063

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Name:  IMG_0318.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  101.0 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Cross post from the "Art and Science" thread. These Kimbers aren't anything spectacular, but they're what I have for government .45s, and thanks to all the info on this forum I've got them both set up and running the way they need to be, or just about.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A year after Colt introduced the 80-Series 1911 design in 1983, they made a special run of these Combat Govt Model pistols. This model differed from the standard Government model in that they had high-profile sights, a flat mainspring housing, a long trigger and serrations on the front strap.

In the mid-80's when Ed Brown Custom was still just a 1-man bench, I sent the gun to him for a trigger job, a Commander hammer, a Wilson trigger, a fitted match barrel bushing and his in-house electroless nickel finish on the frame. I shot the gun in this configuration until I went to Gunsite the first time in ’92 for my 250 (General Pistol) Class.

The Gunsite Gunsmithy at that time was managed by Ted Yost, of Heirloom Precision fame. Ted took my gun at lunch time on Day 2 of the class and installed the Novak sights as an overnight project. I picked it up the next day at noon; the job completed, and the gun perfectly sighted in for 230 gr hardball at 25 yards. This pistol helped me win the man vs man “shoot-off” that took place on the last day of class on Saturday morning. Me and another guy (a Cop from LAPD) went at it for a while (via the J-Ladder elimination process) until I finally edged him out. My prize for winning the shoot-off was a Milt Sparks Summer Special holster.

I took this pistol back to Gunsite in 1993 for the 499 (Advanced Pistol) Class where I was fortunate to earn another “E-Ticket”, but I didn't get close to finishing on top in the Shoot-Off.

In the mid-90's I heard about a guy named Walter Birdsong who had developed a new applied finish called “Black-T”. This turned out to be one of the first of many applied finishes that led to stuff like Cerakote. At the time, he was heavily involved in only doing contract work for the military (mostly SAW’s & .50 cal M2’s) and he was generally not accepting outside work. I got his phone number from a friend and he agreed to do the slide on this pistol. The gun has been mostly dormant ever since .... except for an occasional outing to kill a deer or two.

It's been a good, reliable pistol with lots of great memories associated with it. I'm gifting it to my SIL tomorrow, so I thought I'd snap a few pics before it changes hands. Perhaps owning it will bring some joy to him an ultimately to my grandson, as well.

Last edited by 41magfan; 03-30-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Nice gun 41!!!

I'll attest to that black T. I have a Range Officer Elite in 9mm that is finished in Black T. Very, very wear resistant, and a great not shiny/not flat finish.

Name:  20210309_151544.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  44.0 KB

Site Supporter
    I'm down to one 1911 these days...

Nothing special, just a S&W I carried on duty for a couple years about a decade ago. I've forgotten the details...I think C&S fire control parts and an EB thumb safety.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    From the halls of Montezuma, to the summits of Appalachia? Is that how it goes?

Well, in any case, a good day hiking with the M45A1 in a Hill People Gear kit bag.

Attachment 68122

@TC215 @rcbusmc24 @JSGlock34
    That looks like one of the views from Skyline Dr. Stony Man perhaps?

Chris

Some new pictures of a well-used STI Lawman chambered in .45 ACP. This pistol was made in 2003 or 2004, not long after STI bought Lone Star Armament (LSA) of Stephenville, TX in 2003. The model was later renamed to Lawman 5.0 to match the STI naming convention. LSA marketed high-end factory 1911 pistols, including the Lawman, with Nowlin barrels and Cerakote finishes. For some reason, LSA was unable to make it and was purchased by STI. STI kept the Lawman name and for a while made pistols that looked much like the LSA version. LSA also made a Commander-length pistol called the Ranger, and the Ranger name was also used by STI. The frames were forged with the front strap and MSH checkered at 30 LPI. There is some question over whether LSA made their own frames and slides or bought them from Jericho. I tend to believe the former because the LSA purchase coincided with large increases in STI's manufacturing of 1911 parts, including frames and slides, using machines moved into an enlarged manufacturing facility.

The model is also unusual in that the trigger is not STI's famed polymer pad. It is a heavy steel trigger lightened in the LSA pattern. As such, I assume the LSA acquisition also came with gun parts, but the hammer and sear are the usual STI parts made of S-7 steel using the MIM process. The trigger pull is not "glass break" as it has some roll, but the trigger has never been an issue in whether I hit or miss a target. The MSH is drilled and tapped for a mag well as can be seen in one of the below pictures. The pistol features the STI inside the outline of the state of Texas on the right side of the slide and the corresponding billboard model name on the left side. Typical STI marking of the time. For STI it is unusual in that the slide has the traditional round top profile versus the usual flattop or tri-top profiles.

The STI Lawman is a bit of a non-traditional pistol in that the barrel is an STI-made Wilson-Nowlin ramped model, the slide has front and rear cocking serrations, and the pistol came with a single-piece FLGR. While traditional for STI (same frame can be used for any caliber), ramped barrels in .45 ACP are definitely a departure from JMB's design. That being said the pistol has been reliable with both factory ammo and my handloads. I have thought about running it with .45 Super loads with a recoil spring change, but i have never done so. The usual diet is 230-grain standard pressure ball or JHP. I do not remember using any 185-grain ammo, but I may have done so.

Back in 2009, the pistol went to Robar for the installation of Novak night sights, the replacement of the ambi safety for a strong side safety, a good dehorn, and NP3 finish. These changes took the pistol from good to great. I have used it for years now as a field and carry pistol, and the finish shows the usage. The pictures actually make it look better than it is. The finish is worn, though not perforated. One of my favorite things about NP3 is the pistol, other than springs, is impervious to corrosion. As such, it has been carried in many downpours and on many hot, humid days in the southeast. It currently is in my Sparks HR-LTD at 3:30 due to the depletion of my 9x19 ammo stocks and an abundance of .45 ACP ammo. The combination of the NP3 and the smooth leather of the inside of the HR-LTD make for a very smooth draw stroke, but holster retention is not all it is with lesser lubricity finishes. It continues to serve well and should continue to do so with a modicum of care.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by farscott; 04-03-2021 at 10:44 AM.

Chuck Rogers
    www.RogersPrecision.com
    Cheap-Fast-Good............pick any two.

User Tag List