Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Slam Fire, Muzzle Direction on Reload

I've had a few people telling me it happened to them but I would bet money that poor handling rather than mechanical failure was the culprit every time. Never seen it happen in person.

There is this, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVoShs4gzSI
    (Legit slamfire with Salient Glock)
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I would also note, how Paul Howe teaches the muzzle orientation on AR’s to reload and Pat Macnamara using the safety.....think there may be some history with folks who shoot a ton maybe having some Post reload discharge issues to initiate those TTP’s for a group far better selected and trained than......anywhere. Should make you at least ponder the question.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I've never really understood how we got to have reloads with the muzzle pointed at the sky as an ok thing, in what seems to me a complete violation of rule#2. I understand the "workplace" concept but, while I can and do bring the gun back in for reloads and other admin manipulations, I can never bring myself bring myself to point the muzzle at the sky, I have to have my gun pointed down and be capable of seeing where the muzzle is pointed.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I was next to a guy loading a brand new, literally out of the box, shotgun, at a class. No finger on the trigger. Suspected culprit was factory preservative lodged in the firing pin channel.

In theory, they can happen pretty easily for a variety of reasons, especially in military style rifles. I’m actually surprised there aren’t more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I've never really understood how we got to have reloads with the muzzle pointed at the sky as an ok thing, in what seems to me a complete violation of rule#2. I understand the "workplace" concept but, while I can and do bring the gun back in for reloads and other admin manipulations, I can never bring myself bring myself to point the muzzle at the sky, I have to have my gun pointed down and be capable of seeing where the muzzle is pointed.
    Check out how Rob Pincus (I think) teaches it...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I've had a few people telling me it happened to them but I would bet money that poor handling rather than mechanical failure was the culprit every time. Never seen it happen in person.

There is this, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVoShs4gzSI
    (Legit slamfire with Salient Glock)
    I’m not sure that is a slam fire. After watching that serval times it looks like the trigger is bouncing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Check out how Rob Pincus (I think) teaches it...
    Bottom line is that there is no correct one direction. It is why I teach off the forearm articulation range from the elbow pivot. The guiding factor is going to be muzzle and backstop as the physical and mindset designator of the basic safety rules as to what the orientation should be....that is not a constant on the range or in the field. This needs to be a skill the shooter can adapt to conditions on as to what a safe direction is for that muzzle when the slide is released and a round is chambered...and that is never going to have a canned answer as to where that direction is.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Bottom line is that there is no correct one direction. It is why I teach off the forearm articulation range from the elbow pivot. The guiding factor is going to be muzzle and backstop as the physical and mindset designator of the basic safety rules as to what the orientation should be....that is not a constant on the range or in the field. This needs to be a skill the shooter can adapt to conditions on as to what a safe direction is for that muzzle when the slide is released and a round is chambered...and that is never going to have a canned answer as to where that direction is.
    I would venture that the majority of schools / instructors are teaching the "work space" muzzle up style without much thought given to the issues mentioned in this thread.

I would be interested in hearing more about your reference to Gunsite's ideas.

I was in Mike Pannone’s class last weekend. One of the first things Mike asked was if anyone had a striker fired pistol with aftermarket parts. Mike went on to tell us about a student in a recent class with a modified Glock. The firing pin plunger spring was altered and the plunger was stuck up in the disengaged position. The trigger modification resulted in approximately 4% striker cruciform engagement. Mike witnessed the gun go full auto and dump the mag after a slide lock reload.

User Tag List