Thread: Beretta 92F replcement parts/Maintenance

Beretta 92F replcement parts/Maintenance

Unfortunately I have inherited my dads guns, one of which was his LEO service pistol, a Beretta 92F. I don't think this is a high round count gun, maybe 200 rounds per year for the 10 or so years that he carried it. I plan on reading the 230 page Beretta thread to get an idea of what I want to do with this pistol. I do want to change the recoil spring and other wear parts. I do not find the DA pull offensive on this pistol but is still more than what my P220s were, so I might do a D spring too. I'm not sure if I will carry this one, maybe?? He had 4 magazines, they have more carry wear than use. The sights are a 2 dot style and cannot be seen except in bright light.

Since I do not know a whole lot about Berettas, I'm am asking for yalls input on what you would do;

RSA- standard rate or a +/- one?

Locking block- change now or keep on rockin until there is an issue?

Other springs that need to be changed?

Other parts that need to be replaced?

Sights- Paint the front, change the rear to ______?

Mags- Rebuild the 4 I have or trash and buy new(buying new anyway to get to my minimum of 10 per gun)?

Walnut grips-because I think a Beretta is sexy with them and the plastic grips feel slick.

Anything Else Beside some love from JMCK?

The obligatory pics!

Site Supporter

Beretta 92F replcement parts/Maintenance

I’ve had a similar 92F for a couple of decades now, and it’s one of my favorites. Mine is a 1986 vintage gun that I bought used in the early 90’s. I didn’t start keeping decent logs until years later, but I’d guess I’d put about 4-5K through it since acquisition. I also had a 96G .40 top end on it for awhile, back before I knew any better. Thankfully, I wasn’t shooting much volume then, and didn’t break anything.

On mine, FWIW, I replaced the recoil spring, trigger return spring, trigger bar spring, and switched to a D mainspring. The mainspring cap on the old guns was retained by a roll pin that is difficult to remove & reinstall, but the newer style dogbone pin will drop right in. Mine still has the original locking block, but if I was shooting it a lot, I’d probably update that as well.

Mine has run perfectly with both stock weight 13# recoil springs, and a slightly stiffer 14#. I haven’t tried going lighter, although IIRC, that’s fairly common on competition guns. I used to favor the 14# for .mil use, on the notion that it might help chambering under adverse conditions, but I’m just as likely to use stock replacements now, as it just doesn’t seem to matter much.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dave J; 10-20-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Sorry for your loss. As to the gun, I'd go with new mag springs, recoil spring, & locking lug. There's probably other stuff you could do, but you've identified the things to start with. Periodically, Beretta USA has their parts kit on sale at a significantly reduced price. May sign up for their emails and watch for that.

Add in a trigger return spring- the originals could be problematic. It's a cheap part, and usually included in Beretta's parts kits.
    D-springs are pretty much a requirement, and pretty easy to swap out.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Add in a trigger return spring- the originals could be problematic. It's a cheap part, and usually included in Beretta's parts kits.
    D-springs are pretty much a requirement, and pretty easy to swap out.
    Absolutely. I forgot this &, as you mentioned, that the earlier ones were more prone to breakage. I replaced mine with a Wolff unit that supposedly holds up better https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod16498.aspx

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Absolutely. I forgot this &, as you mentioned, that the earlier ones were more prone to breakage. I replaced mine with a Wolff unit that supposedly holds up better https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod16498.aspx
    They do hold up better but some don't like their effect on the feel of the trigger pull.

I have watched a bunch of youtube vids and done a lot of research and shot the pistol. For right now I have a full set of springs coming and a punch set (wow,I need tools for disassembly?lol) I only put 50 rounds of 115 Blazer brass through it. The brass ended up in a nice little pile to my 4 o'clock. All 4 mags have the aluminum base plates and followers and even though they fed and functioned correctly, they will get new springs. It seems to have an accuracy problem but I'm not ruling out the shooter for time being. Its been over 10 years since I shot a DA pistol. I only shot 3, 10 round groups at 15 yards. I was getting flyers that opened up what should be 2 inch groups to 5 inches. I will bench it once I get the new springs in it. My wife wants it and will carry it for work so if the accuracy doesn't improve I will replace the barrel and locking block for her. If she changes her mind and doesn't want to qualify with it I will leave it as is because it will be just a range gun for me. Thanks to all that responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They do hold up better but some don't like their effect on the feel of the trigger pull.
    Agreed. I had one in my 92FS and it wasn’t long before I took it out.

Every 5,000 rounds I change the recoil spring, trigger return spring, and trigger bar spring.

OP, if you do plan on carrying it, I’d consider a new / updated locking block. Hard to tell from the picks, but this looks like an old generation locking block, without the radius cuts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    My wife wants it and will carry it for work so if the accuracy doesn't improve I will replace the barrel and locking block for her.
    Wow- what a great idea. I sense that your father would be pleased.

I’m very sorry for your loss. And I think it’s cool that you’re keeping it in the family and honoring him that way.

User Tag List