Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealership crashed my truck!

Dealership crashed my truck!

I’m on my way over there now. After dropping it off for service this morning I get a call saying they crashed it while test driving it. 2016 Ram 1500 Sport crew 2wd, fwiw. $50k+ sticker iirc so not some jalopy. 30k miles on it.

They are offering a loaner and promising to totally take ownership of all of the repairs. I don’t know the extent of the damage yet.

Anyone had something like this before?

Nope, just read about that one dude’s on-camera Porsche joyriding dealership fiasco online. That’s a rare phenomenon. I wish you the best of luck; please fill us in as it unfolds.

I know you know this, and it's pretty obvious, but get EVERYTHING in writing and documented. I've hired numerous individuals from auto dealerships in my past in various positions, and the level of scumbaggery (at least at local dealerships) is astronomical. There was even a situation locally of a big name dealership having numerous high level execs there arrested for fraud in a federal investigation. So just common sense stuff with a lot of documentation with them taking full ownership in writing.

I'm not a car guy, so I won't comment on that. I would be interested to see what damage was done and if any mechanics would think it would cause long term damage to the vehicle. I'd also assume a wreck would lower resale/trade value at a later date. Accidents can certainly happen to anyone, but I'd probably want a copy of the police report on the accident.
    Last edited by Kirk; 10-19-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Make sure you are compensated for the reduced blue book value. A car with an accident in it's history is worth less even if it is repaired perfectly.

Site Supporter
    Friend had his Vette crashed by the dealer last April.... They did right by him for the repairs, but he is still arguing with them over compensation for "diminished value".
    Having to disclose a wreck to a future buyer will potentially bring less value for the car at resale.

The extent of the damage will help determine whether you've got a big problem or a manageable one.. A busted bumper/mounts vs a crashed front end that may result in engine issues, steering, alignment...

Also..... If your truck has any sensors... Blind spot monitoring, automated braking, etc.... Problems can arise well after the repair... Those sensors have alignment requirements that are apparently difficult to meet... be sure to get a guarantee from the dealer that any sensor alignment issues will be their responsibility for at least a year..

Sorry for your trouble...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I see you're in Florida. Typically when you crash at Daytona it's going up the high line into the wall, so I would probably expect blown tires and a crumpled/missing right half of the vehicle. Probably bumper damage if they skidded down the bank over the apron.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Man, that sucks. I’ve been less than impressed with the staffing at the service area of most dealerships. My wife drives a Nissan and when she takes it in for service I feel like I’m in the booking area of a jail. Part of the reason I chose to buy a Toyota (again!) is that their service departments have been consistently clean and staffed with nice folk.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Make sure you are compensated for the reduced blue book value. A car with an accident in it's history is worth less even if it is repaired perfectly.
    This. The extent of their liability is to make you whole. You should be returned to the exact financial position as before the accident.
    Last edited by joshs; 10-19-2017 at 11:23 AM.

So, surprisingly, the guy on the phone made it sound way worse than it is. The damage is more like a long scratch, slightly dented, than anything I’d consider “wrecked”. I don’t think they reported it or anything else so I’m not worried about any diminished value.

They had me really worried on the phone. Name:  74E98BBE-5C07-4DCC-AC80-F3C7704432A8.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  DB51C121-0230-46B6-BDB9-09BE14A95FFB.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  65.1 KB

hopefully no-one was hurt, accidents happen, do not let the dealership "dick you around". you're new, very expensive truck has just drastically lost resale value. (happened to a very close co-worker with his 5, month old truck, he ended selling that one back to the dealer and purchasing another) (just seen photos, not bad at all)... my friend had significant front end damage with all air bags deployed...
    Last edited by SD; 10-19-2017 at 12:30 PM.

User Tag List