Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft-recoiling carry guns

The best option would be to get into reloading and load some extremely soft ~115 power factor 9mm with a 147-160 grain bullet using a fast burning powder for him to shoot for fun/practice. I would focus more on the ammo than the gun. You can really adjust the recoil characteristics of a Glock and some other guns by adding weight (frame weight on rail or brass magwell) and changing out the recoil spring for an 11-13# spring to match the lighter power factor ammo.

The G42 is a lot closer, recoil-wise, to a Beretta 21 than a ppk; it’s almost impossibly soft-shooting for a small, light .380. I hold a G42 in reserve as a future "old man gun."

So far as wheelies, the new Colt cobra with its sp101 weight, K-frame trigger reach and oversize cushy grips is very mild. A bonus is that the trigger pull is light and short by DA wheelgun standards and the front sight is modern.

Out of the handguns I’ve shotin my life, those jump out as guns to try out for shooters with hand issues. JMO.

The Walther CCP is a bit softer shooting but not like a steel .38.

A long time elderly female student of mine in her mid-60's had fairly severe arthritis. She took her time, did the research, rented various handguns for classes and ended up with a Glock 42.

She could fire 80-100 rounds a session with little discomfort. DA revolver triggers were a no-go, very painful for her after just a few trigger pulls.

That is what she recommends to her friends also. I probably learned more from her than she did from me.

Before the G42 came along, I would have probably said a Beretta 22LR like Claude Werner's "Old Man Gun."
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 10-18-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Auto pistol... G42
    Round gun... Colt Cobra, Kimber K6s, 2-3" k frames, SP101, LCR's Pick a caliber and load to suit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Auto pistol... G42
    Round gun... Colt Cobra, Kimber K6s, 2-3" k frames, SP101, LCR's Pick a caliber and load to suit.
    My 38 LCR is now what I would describe as low recoil. Maybe you had a specific model in mind? They are light and even 158 gr LRN isn't soft recoiling.

Lots of good suggestions--G42 in particular. Comfort is important, but even more so is making sure the gun doesn't malfunction with a compromised grip. SHO/WHO, wet/bloody hands, etc. Can he run the gun easily? Clear malfunctions? If this is in any way an issue, a revolver may be the best choice.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The bigger and heavier the gun and the smaller and lighter the load. Semi auto will have less recoil control issues than a revolver in the same way a semi auto shotgun vs. a pump as it disappointing through they cycling of the action. A BIG gun that allows him to get all of his hands on the grip will help too.

As pointed out previously... if he/you reloaded and you could load up some 110 PF loads and shoot that out of an all steel 9mm with light rail, magwell, and heavy grips. Or as pointed out previously, maybe a .380 1911.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    My 38 LCR is now what I would describe as low recoil. Maybe you had a specific model in mind? They are light and even 158 gr LRN isn't soft recoiling.
    Precision delta wadcutters in a 3" LCRx are powder puffs. If you want 2" LCR/LCRx guns, you also have options of 22 LR, 22 WMR, .327 (can even shoot .32 ACP in these), .38, .357, 9mm. The .357 magnum guns weighs more and recoils even less with the target wadcutters.
    Last edited by jandbj; 10-18-2017 at 01:23 PM.

You might also consider the Beretta .380 with the tip up barrel. Can't remember the model. Don't have to rack the slide then.

User Tag List