Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft-recoiling carry guns

Maybe an SP101 in .327 Federal loaded with some flavor of .32. With springs and shimms the DA pull can be brought down dramatically and a good gunsmith could do wonders with it, I'm sure.

M&P9 with 147 gr ammo is quite soft shooting. A G42 is another option...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Depends on how big of a gun he wants, but if he's good with a short trigger locked breech .380, then get him one and rock on. I'd do the G42 personally.
    Last edited by Duelist; 10-18-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    I have a Dan Wesson ECO 9mm that I swear has half the felt recoil of a G19 and has run on everything but some very powderpuff reloads. For me at least DW 9mm 1911s with Wilson mags have been a very reliable combination.

It is also aluminum framed (ramped barrel) so it is still pretty light to carry.
    Polite Professional

1. Glock 42-current production are very reliable
    2. SP101 3" with 38 wadcutters..
    Last edited by Leroy Suggs; 10-18-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Site Supporter
    If the DA pull doesn't hurt him, a Beretta with a D hammer spring and trigger job w/ short reach trigger and thin grips could be a good option. Heavy, and the locking block design soaks up a bunch of recoil.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Maybe an SP101 in .327 Federal loaded with some flavor of .32. With springs and shimms the DA pull can be brought down dramatically and a good gunsmith could do wonders with it, I'm sure.
    I was thinking along these lines too. I have an airweight J frame in .32 H&R, but I believe S&W makes a steel one with a 3" barrel in .327.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zuplex View Post
    My dad and I went shooting this past weekend. He recently got his carry permit and has been trying out some different guns. He has some arthritis in his dominant hand (right hand) that makes him sensitive to recoil. He is getting surgery to mitigate the problem, but he may still have issues with grip strength and recoil sensitivity down the road. He tried out my pistol, a Sig SP2022, with Winchester 115 FMJ. After two rounds he grimaced and carefully handed it back to me. He seemed to do ok with a Sig P238 (.380) we rented.

So what are some recommended pistols for folks with recoil sensitivity?
    As a note if using a 9mm you might consider the competitor's choice and go with a high grain bullet (147 IIRC).edit- other's noted.

Also Springfield has a nice smaller 9mm 1911. This will be heavier, reducing recoil further.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 10-18-2017 at 11:49 AM.

I have no personal experience with them, but perhaps a Browning 1911-380 might be worth looking into.

Wilson brig tac with a x300u shooting standard 147gr

User Tag List