Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Soft-recoiling carry guns

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Wow, this thread has been a gold mine. Since September I've had reactive (rheumatoid) arthritis that has been in remission for decades flare up in my wrists and shoulders, apparently as a side-effect of arthroscopic surgery, which is pretty weird. Left wrist is especially bad, followed by right shoulder. I've been able to shoot a little with kind of a "modified harries" hold but without the flashlight . But it hasn't been especially fun.

I've typically not been too impacted by recoil so I've never paid much attention in the past. Historically anything 9mm or 45 has been fine. 40 has been "sure I can do that, but why would I want to". Now I'm wondering if there might be an option softer than a gen3 17 that would make sense as defensive handgun. Obviously 22LR is an option if I just want to shoot. I would love it if the answer was "PX4 fullsize", I was already looking for an excuse to buy one of those. Could anyone give their thoughts on say G19 vs PX4 vs P239 vs P226/229 vs something like a GP100 with 38 loads? Obviously trying out a loaner is a good thought, but I'd like to get some input to narrow the field. I'm hoping to stick with 9mm, but am wondering if I am being too optimistic and if there will really be that much difference compared to my G19. I'm guessing the GP100 would be the softest of the above? With my shoulder issue there might be such a thing as "too heavy", but it is mainly the recoil right now.

Two notes, I have small-ish hands. Glocks are fine, given the technique of flipping the pistol in my hand to reach the mag release. P226 I managed but felt a little awkward, IIRC. Also I live in California so that cuts a ton of options off the list as not being on the "DOJ List".
    I recently picked up a PX4 Compact, it is definitely a soft shooter you should look at.

For me, I tore one of the collateral ligaments in my right thumb crashing on my mountain bike. The hand surgeon harvested tendon from my wrist to rebuild the right thumb and 16 months post surgery, all mobility and strength is back, it’s just recoil sensitive (in my mid-40s). I am liking the felt impulse of this Beretta for long term continuation of this hobby/lifestyle.

I looked at all metal frame options, and have owned or used a ton of different firearms in the last 24yrs, from M9s I. The Army to Glocks, XDms, M&Ps and 1911s. Shot some Dan Wesson 9mm 1911s, CZs, FNs and all the new Glocks at the LVMPD event at SHOT show this year, even spent time talking to Mr Langdon at the Beretta booth. Found some demo PX4s here at local ranges to try as well.

PX4 Compact, for me, is the best shooting, softest recoiling, lightest to carry compromise for my defensive needs. Not as heavy as a 229 or 1911 9mm, softer shooting than a G19 using the same loads and easier for me to manipulate than a small single stack .380 (though my wife’s P238 is an absolute joy to shoot). It is a good, ergonomic, well made gun and meets my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The absolute softest shooting pistol I have (less the .22s) is the old all-steel Colt M1903 .32 auto, and it is very reliable with hard ball ammo. (New-production ones aren't as good and don't use the same Colt parts.)

That said, they likely aren't appropriate in the OP's context. Most gun people flee in horror from the .32 auto, but it was a mainstay even in the US for decades. They are quite hard to rack, and there's no drop safety. Still, for soft-shooting, this is the one, and it's what a Swiss watch-maker's elves would build - beautiful.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 02-16-2018 at 10:15 AM.

I have been continuously surprised at how soft the recoil is on the Beretta APX. Every time I shoot it after shooting Glocks and P10C it seems like I am shooting a different caliber even with the same ammo. The other nice thing is it is great for small hands. I use no or the smallest backstrap on guns and still have reach issues with Glocks and even a touch with the P10C. The APX is much nicer for light control feel and good reach as well as small thin grip size. I don't know what Beretta has done to make the APX so soft shooting but they got it right. This is for polymer framed guns compared not heavy steel or metal framed guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    Seriously? I swear I remember shooting my moms .38 Chiefs Special with that ammo back in the 60's. It put little dents in the side of a 50 gallon drum. LOL

Is there another short .38 load that will work. I know for a fact I shot .38 Specials from it and finished off a box of something that looked like it was too short to hold any powder.
    The short .38 rounds you fired were probably .38 Short Colt rounds. They are still available, although pricey.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    The absolute softest shooting pistol I have (less the .22s) is the old all-steel Colt M1903 .32 auto, and it is very reliable with hard ball ammo. (New-production ones aren't as good and don't use the same Colt parts.)

That said, they likely aren't appropriate in the OP's context. Most gun people flee in horror from the .32 auto, but it was a mainstay even in the US for decades. They are quite hard to rack, and there's no drop safety. Still, for soft-shooting, this is the one, and it's what a Swiss watch-maker's elves would build - beautiful.
    If the Beretta Pico finally makes the promised .32 barrel available, I would strongly consider one for NPE carry. It would probably recoil less than the .380 version and hold one more cartridge.

User Tag List