Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Soft-recoiling carry guns

Site Supporter
    Wow, this thread has been a gold mine. Since September I've had reactive (rheumatoid) arthritis that has been in remission for decades flare up in my wrists and shoulders, apparently as a side-effect of arthroscopic surgery, which is pretty weird. Left wrist is especially bad, followed by right shoulder. I've been able to shoot a little with kind of a "modified harries" hold but without the flashlight . But it hasn't been especially fun.

I've typically not been too impacted by recoil so I've never paid much attention in the past. Historically anything 9mm or 45 has been fine. 40 has been "sure I can do that, but why would I want to". Now I'm wondering if there might be an option softer than a gen3 17 that would make sense as defensive handgun. Obviously 22LR is an option if I just want to shoot. I would love it if the answer was "PX4 fullsize", I was already looking for an excuse to buy one of those. Could anyone give their thoughts on say G19 vs PX4 vs P239 vs P226/229 vs something like a GP100 with 38 loads? Obviously trying out a loaner is a good thought, but I'd like to get some input to narrow the field. I'm hoping to stick with 9mm, but am wondering if I am being too optimistic and if there will really be that much difference compared to my G19. I'm guessing the GP100 would be the softest of the above? With my shoulder issue there might be such a thing as "too heavy", but it is mainly the recoil right now.

Two notes, I have small-ish hands. Glocks are fine, given the technique of flipping the pistol in my hand to reach the mag release. P226 I managed but felt a little awkward, IIRC. Also I live in California so that cuts a ton of options off the list as not being on the "DOJ List".

I'd say that my 4" .38 Special K-frame with target wadcutters has less felt recoil than the G19 with 147 gr standard-pressure loads.

If you end up having to step down in caliber, thaere's this new option: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ield-EZ-pistol

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I'd say that my 4" .38 Special K-frame with target wadcutters has less felt recoil than the G19 with 147 gr standard-pressure loads.
    Agreed, I'd say my old Wiley Clapp GP100 and Model 10 both have less recoil with wadcutters than my autoloading nines.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 02-15-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Agreed, I'd say my old Wiley Clapp GP100 and Model 10 both have less recoil with wadcutters than my autoloading nines.
    Oyea... I’d describe my 4"mod 64 as gentle with standard 148 wadcutters. Definitely more mellow than my 26 or 19 with duty loads.

I have no experience with that particular SIG, but if it has the typical high bore axis of most SIGs it might be the torque it is putting on his wrist more than the actual recoil.

Maybe try to find a steel 9mm with a low bore axis?

I'd hate to see him end up with a .22 WRM but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Does anyone still make ammo in .38 S&W? That ammo in a S&W Model 10 or 15 might feel like shooting a .22
    Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 02-16-2018 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    I have no experience with that particular SIG, but if it has the typical high bore axis of most SIGs it might be the torque it is putting on his wrist more than the actual recoil.

Maybe try to find a steel 9mm with a low bore axis?

I'd hate to see him end up with a .22 WRM but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Does anyone still make ammo in .38 S&W? That ammo in a S&W Model 10 or 15 might feel like shooting a .22
    They still make 38 S&W ammunition but it will not fit in guns chambered in 38 Special.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    They still make 38 S&W ammunition but it will not fit in guns chambered in 38 Special.
    Seriously? I swear I remember shooting my moms .38 Chiefs Special with that ammo back in the 60's. It put little dents in the side of a 50 gallon drum. LOL

Is there another short .38 load that will work. I know for a fact I shot .38 Specials from it and finished off a box of something that looked like it was too short to hold any powder.
    Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 02-16-2018 at 07:06 AM.

We shoot a lot of Winchester White Box through our M9’s. It’s not a light recoiling round. As others have said I would try some 147 loads for spending money on a new pistol.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I would love it if the answer was "PX4 fullsize", I was already looking for an excuse to buy one of those.
    Well, AFAIK the PX4 is a rather soft shooting pistol. I am afraid I can't be any more specific, since I personally have difficulty feeling the difference between one normal 9mm load versus another... [emoji14] But might be worth your time to try it? (Do note that the stock grip is stupidly slippery... It might affect how the recoil feels in your hands?)

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Another plug for the PX4 full size in 9x19. Add a 12# WC mainspring (or Langdon Tactical 11#), sights of your choice & you are in business......

User Tag List