Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft-recoiling carry guns

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    However many .22 autos (e.g M&P .22) are unreliable, and in other ways unsuitable for carry..
    MY Plastic M&P .22 COMPACT (Made in USA, not by the foreign bb gun company like the large one.) is thus far 100% with fresh high velocity .22 LR. I bought it because a local lawyer who thinks a .22 is enough said his was reliable. But then he has other modern .22s that look cheaply made alongside my Woodsman and they have been fully reliable every time I have seen him shoot.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    MY Plastic M&P .22 COMPACT (Made in USA, not by the foreign bb gun company like the large one.) is thus far 100% with fresh high velocity .22 LR. I bought it because a local lawyer who thinks a .22 is enough said his was reliable. But then he has other modern .22s that look cheaply made alongside my Woodsman and they have been fully reliable every time I have seen him shoot.
    At the risk of thread drift, I am curious about the trigger reach on the M&P Compact .22 and how it compares with other options for a shooter with small hands (in particular, as a training gun for a female less than 5 feet tall).

I agree with those who believe that a .22, while not ideal, is far better than nothing.

It is also worth pointing out that the wide variety of options appearing in this thread are at least partially the result of how individualized hand problems are. As one example, while I would generally be inclined to lean towards a semiauto for a shooter with compromised hand strength, two female shooters with hand or wrist problems have told me that revolvers work better for them, partly due to difference in the nature of the recoil. Any decision will have to be based heavily on trial and error, as well as input from the affected individual.

Trigger reach, curve of trigger to inner curve of backstrap.
    M&P .22 Compact 2.60"
    M&P 9mm 2.62" but a lot more girth over 9mm magazine.
    J Smith 2.40"
    K Smith 2.77"
    Colt Gov't .380 2.36" (Similar guns from Kimber and Sig)
    Kahr CW 9 2.47"
    Colt Commander 2.63" (Would be about 2.5 with short trigger.)
    Colt Pocket Hammerless 2.22"
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    M&P .22 Compact 2.60"
    J Smith 2.40"
    K Smith 2.77"
    Kahr CW 9 2.47"
    Thank you! That is not only useful, but much more than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

M&P .22 Compact 2.60"
    J Smith 2.40"
    K Smith 2.77"
    Kahr CW 9 2.47"
    These measurements matter for older folks with limited digital mobility due to arthritis. Good post.

A few folks have suggested the Beretta PX4 due to the rotating barrel that slows the Recoil pulse which makes it feel softer.
    Several have suggested metal frame guns since their mass has more resistance to force than a lighter frame.

I like carrying a Beretta MiniCougar. It is the predecessor to the PX4 & has almost identical controls to the 92. The fullsize Cougar grip appears longer than that of the 92, but 92 magazines can easily be modified to work in it. I use MecGar 18 round Mags in my fullsize Cougar. They even made a Compact model that splits the difference in grip. Beretta quit making the Cougar & shipped the equipment to Turkey where they were made by Stoeger. They offered the Compact in 9mm with a rail and the fullsize in .45ACP with a rail.
    Last edited by AdioSS; 10-22-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    A few folks have suggested the Beretta PX4 due to the rotating barrel that slows the Recoil pulse which makes it feel softer.
    Several have suggested metal frame guns since their mass has more resistance to force than a lighter frame.

I like carrying a Beretta MiniCougar. It is the predecessor to the PX4 & has almost identical controls to the 92. The fullsize Cougar grip appears longer than that of the 92, but 92 magazines can easily be modified to work in it. I use MecGar 18 round Mags in my fullsize Cougar. They even made a Compact model that splits the difference in grip. Beretta quit making the Cougar & shipped the equipment to Turkey where they were made by Stoeger. They offered the Compact in 9mm with a rail and the fullsize in .45ACP with a rail.
    I carried the Cougar L for a few years. Somewhere around G19 in size, slimmer slide that a traditional Cougar. It was an excellent firearm.
    Last edited by Bucky; 10-23-2017 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    These measurements matter for older folks with limited digital mobility due to arthritis. Good post.
    How does the Ruger SR22 compare for grip size? I could use a "small hand" .22 pistol -- my MkII is big and heavy for smaller/weaker shooters.
    Last edited by peterb; 10-23-2017 at 04:03 AM.

I didn’t read every page of the thread, but my wife and I each own a SigP238. Don’t buy into the .380 sucks nonsense, especially since that was proven deadly wrong a week ago in Virginia. A .380 is a 9mm in Europe, just 1mm shorter than what we call 9mm. Yes, the rounds we call 9mm are more powerful, but a .44 Magnum make 9mm seem like a B.B. gun... ;-)

P.S. I own .22 long rifle pistols, and really can’t recall any problems. I clean all of my firearms after every range session, so maybe that’s why mine don’t fail the some people claim they do.
    Last edited by FrankB; 10-23-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Zuplex,

Whatever he decides, I hope you end up, updating this thread, with the results.
    Thanks

User Tag List