Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft-recoiling carry guns

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If we’re at the point of considering a marginally reliable .22 auto, I think he would be much better off carrying a large can of OC spray.
    This is probably true. That said, there have been some useful suggestions upthread, as well as some posts that were surprisingly devoid of fact-checking. I hope the OP is successful in ferreting out the helpful information.

Another vote for the G42 here. It definitely has the softest recoil of any semi auto I’ve ever shot, aside from a .22 of course.

Thoughts and prayers for your father. I hope all goes well and his surgery is successful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JDCRAB View Post
    I think the LC380 is a locked breech design.
    Ah, that indeed be helpful.

If SA/DA is not an issue, I would second a Beretta PX4. The wife has one and the recoil is very light.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    My wife has weak hand strength and arthritis. It was too painful to shoot more than a few rounds out of my Glock 17, but had no problem shooting a 250 round class with a HK VP9. I took her to a range and rented about all of the full size, 9mm, striker fired options and didn't find anything she liked better. She now has a VP9 sitting in the safe.
    My VP9 pistols have more felt recoil than my Gen 5 G17 using the same ammunition.

If sticking with a polymer gun, I have to agree with DocGKR in that the M&P9 is the lightest recoiling polymer gun I've fired. It was a gun that my wife, who is also recoil sensitive, preferred over 9mm Glocks/P30s/PX4 before we switched to all metal Sigs.

I can't think of any modern alloy frame/steel slide or steel frame/steel slide gun that recoils harsher than a comparably sized polymer gun.(surplus metal guns are a completely different story..)

Site Supporter
    The P30sk has really surprised me with its mild recoil and ease of control. The LEM trigger is an acquired taste, but as far as recoil and manipulations, my Mother in Law has had no problems. Good luck in your search!

Subcompacts typically have stiffer recoil springs and are harder to rack. The VP9’s rubber ears are a great feature, and help those with limited hand strength.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    If we’re at the point of considering a marginally reliable .22 auto, I think he would be much better off carrying a large can of OC spray.

This is probably true. That said, there have been some useful suggestions upthread, as well as some posts that were surprisingly devoid of fact-checking. I hope the OP is successful in ferreting out the helpful information.
    Beg to disagree.

1. A gun gives you a better distance option.
    2. You ignore the deterrent aspect. Does an OC spray deter as much as pointed a gun at someone?
    3. There is no reason, you can't have both. Most folks in our sort of thing, carry both.
    4. There is the possiblility of blow back with sprays.
    5. Gary Kleck told me that there is no evidence of differential deterrence rates from various handguns that he found reported.

Carry a large OC - how you going to do that? Hang it from your belt like a bear spray when you are the woods? At home, you can tote one around. Conceal a large one (what is large, BTW), even the reasonable small ones have a few spritzes in them.

From Greg Ellifritz: https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alte...stopping-power

This study took me a long time and a lot of effort to complete. Despite the work it took, I'm glad I did it. The results I got from the study lead me to believe that there really isn't that much difference between most defensive handgun rounds and calibers. None is a death ray, but most work adequately...even the lowly .22s. I've stopped worrying about trying to find the "ultimate" bullet. There isn't one. And I've stopped feeling the need to strap on my .45 every time I leave the house out of fear that my 9mm doesn't have enough "stopping power." Folks, carry what you want. Caliber really isn't all that important.
    I think it is flat out silly to say that if all you can carry is a 22 LR, you shouldn't for an OC. Take both with you. We also came up with reasonable 32 round suggestions. The LCRx in 327 is another option.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 10-19-2017 at 04:21 PM.

This is a woefully ill-informed statement.

You may well be that old guy someday who can't practice with a 9mm anymore... then I'll be curious if your opinion has changed.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 10-19-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    This is a woefully ill-informed statement.

You may well be that old guy someday who can't practice with a 9mm anymore... then I'll be curious if your opinion has changed.
    Sorry folks. I wasn’t as clear as I could have been. I didn’t mean to say that a .22 or other small caliber is worthless to carry as a defensive weapon. Mossad and their Beretta 70s show how effective a .22 auto can be.

However many .22 autos (e.g M&P .22) are unreliable, and in other ways unsuitable for carry.

A 2 to 4oz can of Sabre is safe and easy to carry, and might be a good alternative.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List