Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft-recoiling carry guns

Soft-recoiling carry guns

My dad and I went shooting this past weekend. He recently got his carry permit and has been trying out some different guns. He has some arthritis in his dominant hand (right hand) that makes him sensitive to recoil. He is getting surgery to mitigate the problem, but he may still have issues with grip strength and recoil sensitivity down the road. He tried out my pistol, a Sig SP2022, with Winchester 115 FMJ. After two rounds he grimaced and carefully handed it back to me. He seemed to do ok with a Sig P238 (.380) we rented.

So what are some recommended pistols for folks with recoil sensitivity?

If the 2022 with 115gr WWB is too much, there's not a lot of options that will shoot "softer." You'd have to look at larger, heavier steel or allow frame pistols - maybe the CZ75 or Sig P226. But, if he's going to have compromised grip strength, then holding a heavy pistol and working a DA trigger might be an issue. Maybe a 9mm 1911?

It seems odd that he's OK with a smaller, lighter pistol, even though the .380 is nominally "softer" than 9mm. Maybe the G42, which many folks proclaim is one of the "softest" shooting .380s around.

Hopefully you've got a range close by that rents pistols..You might try a Beretta PX-4, the rotating barrel seems to soak up a bit of the recoil, a full size Beretta 92 will also soak up alot of recoil, although a bit large for carry..I 've also got steel framed CZ Compact, these were a limited run of about 1500, it's also heavy, but it does soak up some of the recoil. I guess you'll just have to have your father try as many as he can, and see what he can tolerate.. you might end up with a .380.Anyway good luck. Another thing you could try, and this is'nt going to be easy, is have him learn to shoot with with his left hand and use his weaker right as support.
    Last edited by ralph; 10-18-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

It seems odd that he's OK with a smaller, lighter pistol, even though the .380 is nominally "softer" than 9mm. Maybe the G42, which many folks proclaim is one of the "softest" shooting .380s around.
    I loved my G42s but if his arthritis is severe enough to compromise his grip strength, I wouldn't recommend the G42 as both of mine were prone to limpwristing.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    A steel frame 9mm 1911 is definitely going to be very soft shooting, but may require significant investment of time/effort to get running reliably.

A Glock 42 would be my bet, or a 3" GP100 loaded with .38 SPL standard pressure wadcutters.

Try critical defense lite in your sig to see if it will run reliably. Use it in my LCR and the reduction in recoil is noticeable compared to 115

Vending Machine Operator
    A quality 9mm 1911 would cover the bases, I bet. It might be the trigger pull as much as the recoil that is hurting his hand. I'm almost 30 and have some signs of early onset arthritis (one of the sad but common side effects of being 6'5" with hit-and-miss genetics) and sometimes, especially if my hands are feeling colder, even a standard Beretta 92FS DA pull is noticeable. One of the reasons I went Glock 9mm across the board.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I'd echo the suggestion a 3" Smith like a model 64 or 65 with target wadcutters.

Getting a lighter recoiling gun than a Sig Pro shooting WWB is possible...a 9mm 1911 for instance, but Neph is right when he says that it'll have negative side effects on reliability. Plus his recoil sensitivity likely will affect his ability to use defensive ammo.

My dad has the same issue but only arthritis in one hand...so he learned to shoot with the other hand and uses a laser grip.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    You'd have to look at larger, heavier steel or allow frame pistols - maybe the CZ75 or Sig P226. But, if he's going to have compromised grip strength, then holding a heavy pistol and working a DA trigger might be an issue. Maybe a 9mm 1911?
    It's possible to carry cocked and locked, which would negate the concerns with the DA trigger at the cost of needing to train using the safety correctly.

Generally,
    Heavier pistol = less recoil.
    Smaller caliber = less recoil.

However, if his grip strength is really hurt a DA pull may be a poor choice. It's going to really depend on his ability. A heavy gun may also give him trouble holding it up to shoot. Depending on how severe the issue is, he may look to even a .22lr for a defensive gun. It's nobody's first choice, but it can still be a very valid one in some circumstances. I think those with severe grip issues can be one of them. A S&W 317 gives 8 rounds of 22lr in a really light package. Ruger LCRs come in 22, 22WMR, 38, and 357 mag. They could still be a rough choice if his grip won't allow for a good DA pull.

If likes automatic's more I would suggest looking for something with some weight (but not so much that it's hard to hold up), and a smaller caliber. 9mm 1911s as suggested could be good. Perhaps a 147gr "powder puff" load would be a decent option to pair with one. It's not going to offer the same reliable effectiveness that others might but you have to work with what ya got.

Hopefully something in there helps. Good luck, and tell your Dad good luck with the surgery.

-Cory

User Tag List