Thread: How I fixed my surging Champion generator

How I fixed my surging Champion generator

Problem: Champion 3500 generator (like this one sans electric & remote start) began surging/idling up and down intermittently and consistently during operation after the first twelve hours of operation.

Diagnosis: Main jet/nozzle is too tight/restrictive due to EPA restrictions.

Previous repair attempts: Brand new carburetor, flushing both carburetors, SeaFoam, different types of gasoline with different additives/treatments. Note: Champion power equipment is generally very well known for their superior customer service, but such was not the case for me.

Fix applied: Drill out the main nozzle on the old carburetor using a Dremel tool and first, a .028/#70 bit (this worked fine & I probably could have stopped here), then a .029/#69 drill bit. I used this $4.46 drill bit kit from Amazon.

Results: Perfect operation, no more erratic idle/surging idle. One pull start on months to over one year old 87 octane, Stabil treated ethanol gas. This method worked and I believe that many people whom have given up on their small carbureted engines should try this.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-17-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    #RESIST

Bump.
    #RESIST

Nice work! Did you gauge the jet aperture initially? I curious as to how much you opened it.

I have a Honda snow thrower with a hunting carburetor. This past winter it would not run worth a dam. I pulled the carb and ran a wire through the main jet. That got it working but it isn’t perfect. I purchased a new carb and gaskets. Surprisingly inexpensive from a Honda dealer at around $40. I got through the winter without changing the carb and was planning on putting the new carb in when I prep the snow machines this year so it’s fresh. I just may experiment with opening the aperture as I’ll have the original carb to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Nice work! Did you gauge the jet aperture initially? I curious as to how much you opened it.

I have a Honda snow thrower with a hunting carburetor. This past winter it would not run worth a dam. I pulled the carb and ran a wire through the main jet. That got it working but it isn’t perfect. I purchased a new carb and gaskets. Surprisingly inexpensive from a Honda dealer at around $40. I got through the winter without changing the carb and was planning on putting the new carb in when I prep the snow machines this year so it’s fresh. I just may experiment with opening the aperture as I’ll have the original carb to play with.
    Nope, I was working under a time crunch, luckily that worked great.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Had an early 2000's Kawasaki that benefitted from a slightly bigger main jet and a couple of shims under the carb needles. (4 carbs). Thankfully bigger jets were available to order. Drilling the jets accurately.... 4 jets, all straight, by hand, would be a small miracle for me, YMMV...

That thing was a beast. I don't miss carburetors though. FI FTW.

I had a small (4k) generator surge on me when I got distracted and let the fuel run low. By the time I got to it, it had caused an outlet fire in the wall, inside the house (post hurricane power outage). Just enough to burn some insulation and a burn mark on the wall board, which is how we located the source of the burning smell. We got lucky. Surging generators are BAD.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Bump.
    #RESIST

Just fixed a friend’s pressure washer that had been dead for a year, using this technique. Works perfectly now.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    In the past two years I’ve fixed 4or 5 carburetors by drilling them a little larger. I’m ham handed sometimes with little thing like that so I always bought a spare first.

User Tag List