Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .224 Valkyrie?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Thanks, good article. Unfortunately it's just data.

I guess I could try re-wording the question: what is the practical application for the 224 Valk where another mainstream (or at least established) cartridge can do the same thing? It's got a cartridge beat on velocity by 200 meters....okay, what does that actually mean for anything other than a gun-nerd's oogie-cookie? If you're trying to extend the range of the 5.56, there's already cartridges that do that (and better, from what I see).
    Which ones do a better job to push the AR past 1000 with factory ammo? If this offers more on the table and less drift at distance than the 6.5G, for ringing steel far away my interest has been pinged.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Thanks, good article. Unfortunately it's just data.

I guess I could try re-wording the question: what is the practical application for the 224 Valk where another mainstream (or at least established) cartridge can do the same thing? It's got a cartridge beat on velocity by 200 meters....okay, what does that actually mean for anything other than a gun-nerd's oogie-cookie? If you're trying to extend the range of the 5.56, there's already cartridges that do that (and better, from what I see).
    Solely in the "oogie cookie" camp here

Is there another .224 caliber ar-15 friendly cartridge that outperforms the 6.5grendel?

The appeal to this IMO is that it makes use of a VLD .224 projectile and beats the 6.5G at it's own game in every respect but retained energy. I'd have thought less drop less drift and more speed would have been a Good Thing(TM)

But if there's a cartridge that extends the range of the AR even more effectively I'd think that's pretty cool too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I just got in some engineering samples of Federal 90 grain matchkings. Velocity out of an 18" barrel (all I have at hand)
    are...
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    I just got in some engineering samples of Federal 90 grain matchkings. Velocity out of an 18" barrel (all I have at hand)
    are...
    Hmm. That looks a little slow compared to some of the ads. I was expecting 2700 from a 20". 170fps is a lot to lose in 2 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Hmm. That looks a little slow compared to some of the ads. I was expecting 2700 from a 20". 170fps is a lot to lose in 2 inches.
    2700 @ 24" is the benchmark. That is about 27fps per inch difference.

2500 FPS is too slow for my taste. It sounds like they are using a slow powder to get those velocities. I wonder what that will do to gas ports?

I like the thought of it as I am a huge 22 caliber fan, having several ARs and a few bolt guns chambered for 223/5.56, and shoot long range with them on a regular basis. The downside of the Valkyrie is what has always kept me from jumping on the 6.5G, 22 Nosler, etc.... I don't want to have to buy specialty parts for my AR, in this case a bolt and magazine. I also don't want to purchase specialty brass or ammo, and don't like having to chase that specialty brass when my AR launches it out into the west desert sage. If I lose a 223 case here or there, no biggie, as people leave it at the range by the bucketloads. If I do a specialty caliber it will be in a bolt gun.

At this point, why not chamber an AR for 6 Creedmoor? I realize that it would have to be one of the larger frame variations but if you are going to get all special with bolts, mags, and brass, why not do it in a caliber that will really perform? The 224V will cost a little less to shoot and has less recoil but the bigger brothers will out shoot it.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    2500 FPS is too slow for my taste. It sounds like they are using a slow powder to get those velocities. I wonder what that will do to gas ports?

I like the thought of it as I am a huge 22 caliber fan, having several ARs and a few bolt guns chambered for 223/5.56, and shoot long range with them on a regular basis. The downside of the Valkyrie is what has always kept me from jumping on the 6.5G, 22 Nosler, etc.... I don't want to have to buy specialty parts for my AR, in this case a bolt and magazine. I also don't want to purchase specialty brass or ammo, and don't like having to chase that specialty brass when my AR launches it out into the west desert sage. If I lose a 223 case here or there, no biggie, as people leave it at the range by the bucketloads. If I do a specialty caliber it will be in a bolt gun.

At this point, why not chamber an AR for 6 Creedmoor? I realize that it would have to be one of the larger frame variations but if you are going to get all special with bolts, mags, and brass, why not do it in a caliber that will really perform? The 224V will cost a little less to shoot and has less recoil but the bigger brothers will out shoot it.
    Lots of cool toys to enjoy. If I could afford to have cars and trucks instead of guns , I would own race vehicles from every sport...why? Because...FUN!

Guns are just cool mechanical tools and I don't need to "justify" or am I concerned about specialty parts, ammo and such and such. 44AMP's Wildey's and Webley's all subject to breakage without
    ready parts availably, yet I shoot them.

I DO understand your thinking for sure and for you it is the way.

Oh and my calculations have the 2530+ from an 18" with a 90 in the pretty sporty category...for such a short barrel gasser. We are seeing some with the 22" Turn Bolts hitting 2700.
    I don't know why the 18" was the first one sent to me, as a 20" at least, or better yet
    a 22" would have made more sense. But, I just test, tune and report. The Marketplace will decide on this new offerings merit.

No argument here. I just don't have the time at this point in my life to play with a bunch of different calibers, or maybe I just like seeing what I can do with what I already have.

It looks like a fun caliber for sure
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List