Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 18650 Flashlights

Another Malkoff fan here. I have the M61HOT MD2 with high/low head and one of Don McLeish's Ti pocket clips custom installed by Barry Milton. The light will take other clips meant for 6P size bodies, but too much of the tailcap hangs out of the pocket for my liking, and the much deeper ride of the McGizmo clip is preferable for me.

The MD2 switches from high to low by loosening the bezel one quarter turn. Genius. No longer do you have to worry about what mode the light is going to come on in. Leave it in high and it always comes on in high—and only high—when the tailcap switch is activated. Doing ninja stuff and want low mode to avoid giving away your position? No need to flash the light from high to low with the tailcap, just twist the bezel and the light goes directly to low mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Another Malkoff fan here. I have the M61HOT MD2 with high/low head and one of Don McLeish's Ti pocket clips custom installed by Barry Milton. The light will take other clips meant for 6P size bodies, but too much of the tailcap hangs out of the pocket for my liking, and the much deeper ride of the McGizmo clip is preferable for me.
    That clip looks like it was made for the MD2 body. I've seen these on the Oveready site and have been tempted to try one out - you just convinced me to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post

The MD2 switches from high to low by loosening the bezel one quarter turn. Genius. No longer do you have to worry about what mode the light is going to come on in. Leave it in high and it always comes on in high—and only high—when the tailcap switch is activated. Doing ninja stuff and want low mode to avoid giving away your position? No need to flash the light from high to low with the tailcap, just twist the bezel and the light goes directly to low mode.

Must. Have. That looks like a perfect setup...I am carrying the same light currently.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

I'll chime in as the resident cheapskate.

I own several Fenix PD series lights, as well as a couple Streamlights and Sure Fire torches. None of them have ever failed(other than batteries dying at inopportune moments).

Take that for what it's worth, I'm not a law enforcement officer or active duty soldier. I don't use my lights as attitude adjustment or perp control devices. I use them as flash lights. I do use them every day. They do get used when camping or hunting occasionally, but even then I don't abuse them.

I have had only one light ever fail catastrophically and the was a real cheap unbranded chicom AA pen light that just went belly up after about a year of regular use. No warranty but the replacement was just as cheap as the original and is still running.

In summary, unless you need a light that doubles as a baton or brass knuckle(and they may even be good for that too) I vote Fenix PD series lights as the best bang for the buck out there.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 10-23-2017 at 08:25 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

I'm so glad I started this thread.

It's looking like ima buy an MD2, probably the high throw version. It has the minimalist controls I want with crazy good specs for the price. It's also the right form factor for me. I might even try to get a second onto my Yule list...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I'm so glad I started this thread.

It's looking like ima buy an MD2, probably the high throw version. It has the minimalist controls I want with crazy good specs for the price. It's also the right form factor for me. I might even try to get a second onto my Yule list...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You won't regret your decision to purchase a Malkoff...unless it leads to many other Malkoffs in which case your wallet might end up a bit thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    I'll chime in as the resident cheapskate.

I own several Fenix PD series lights, as well as a couple Streamlights and Sure Fire torches. None of them have ever failed(other than batteries dying at inopportune moments).

Take that for what it's worth, I'm not a law enforcement officer or active duty soldier. I don't use my lights as attitude adjustment or perp control devices. I use them as flash lights. I do use them every day. They do get used when camping or hunting occasionally, but even then I don't abuse them.

I have had only one light ever fail catastrophically and the was a real cheap unbranded chicom AA pen light that just went belly up after about a year of regular use. No warranty but the replacement was just as cheap as the original and is still running.

In summary, unless you need a light that doubles as a baton or brass knuckle(and they may even be good for that too) I vote Fenix PD series lights as the best bang for the buck out there.
    I'm with you. Buy once, cry once when it comes to tools is usually a good idea. The reasoning behind it is sound because the speed of mechanical advancement is relatively slow and much slower than elec. tech. advancement. Those costs do add up (especially when you buy backups) and with advancement comes obsolescence. Now, if it's a duty light, buy the best and don't look back. However, if it's an EDC or "general use" flashlight, buy something with a good track record and if it dies one day, throw it in the trash, grab your backup, and buy the newer/brighter/longer lasting light that has already taken its place.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You won't regret your decision to purchase a Malkoff...even it leads to many other Malkoffs in which case your wallet might end up a bit thinner.
    FIFY ;-)

The beam of a TIR lens (such as the M61T and M61HOT) is much different than that of a reflector. The Don McLeish reflector used in many Malkoff drop-ins creates a beautifully smooth and even pattern with the typical hard cut off at the edge of the spill. In comparison, the TIR renders a wider but dimmer beam with a gradually diminishing edge, and a tighter, brighter hot spot in the middle. As they say on the Malkoff site, the TIR lens is not intended for "white wall hunters" who value a smooth and ring-free beam pattern over everything else. It's really something that you'll need to see first hand to determine which you prefer.

FWIW, I prefer a TIR lens for WML duty and reflector for hand held. That said, I could easily live with either for all applications.

Because of you enablers, I just ordered an MD2 Hot, without the high/low (for a defensive light, I want the sun with no chance of not getting it). I am going to try to see if I can get a separate crenulated head. I want this for a travel light. Basically, I want the option to add the crenulated head or remove it for times when security people may have to go to a safe space if they see it. Also, may want to not tear up some clothing. My sort of de facto non lethal "thing" is usually a fist loaded light. Not for everyone, but what I am used to using for interpersonal close quarters behavior modification.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 10-28-2017 at 08:32 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Because of you enablers, I just ordered an MD2 Hot, without the high/low (for a defensive light, I want the sun with no chance of not getting it). I am going to try to see if I can get a separate crenulated head. I want this for a travel light. Basically, I want the option to add the crenulated head or remove it for times when security people may have to go to a safe space if they see it. Also, may want to not tear up some clothing. My sort of de facto non lethal "thing" is usually a fist loaded light. Not for everyone, but what I am used to using for interpersonal close quarters behavior modification.
    Congrats. I don't think you'll regret your decision. (I've no experience with the crenelated heads.)

BTW, I completely agree, Darryl. I think a "fist loaded light" is a very good option for both striking and / or momentarily blinding an opponent.

I tend to think of my robust folding knife in the same way in an emergency. As a potential striking tool vs. something to cut or slash with.

Obviously, mileage and opinions will vary in this regard.

User Tag List