Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 18650 Flashlights

If you can use a headlamp, I highly recommend the Nitecore HC30 (Neutral)

It can also be used as a handheld or clipped on to your gear or clothing.

I've had mine for a year or more, it is used daily and has proven to be a great light with a good variety of modes.

Helped me spot the (large) black bear crossing the gravel road in front of me and the dog (and into our woods) on a late walk two nights ago.

Comes in handy for many tasks in and around the home and vehicle when two hands are preferable.

Otherwise, any of several Malkoff models get my vote for handhelds.
    Last edited by blues; 10-17-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add additional info

I had a Nitecore MT26 and I really liked it. Can't remember why I got rid of it.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    I've been on a crusade to purge 123 lights from the inventory (with the exception of X300/TLR lights) and converting to AA/AAA/14500/18650 for most everything. I'm running a Streamlight 2L-X as my bedside light and Protac Railmount HL-X on two of my long guns and have liked them so far. I'm using Simon 18650 batteries and haven't had any problems. My 1L-1AA has been back to Streamlight twice for service. Once for the switch circuit, once for the main circuit board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

18650 Flashlights

My current EDC:

Modified Klarus XT2C & Raven Clip, and other clip mods

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    I am tempted to get something like the HoundDog head @NHshooter posted above to run on the MD2 body, and snag an MDC or something for pocket carry.
    The Hound Dog 18650 is now my overall favorite light. When taking the dogs for their evening walk we have a Surefire 6PX Pro at the door for that purpose, but I always go to the bedroom and grab the Hound Dog instead. Even on low (30 lumens) the beam pattern is perfect and the run time with an 18650 cell is measured in the hundreds of hours. A short, easy twist of the head with my thumb and index finger activates high, which is impressive in both quantity and quality (beam pattern) of light.

My Malkoff MDC replaced a Foursevens Quark and though I liked the Quark, the MDC is really in a different league in terms of build quality. Maybe Gene and Kathy package some kind of brain washing fairy dust with their products but now everything else seems like a toy compared to a Malkoff.

Site Supporter
    I've been carrying a Nitecore P12GT since March. So far so good.

https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-P12G...nitecore+p12gt

I would recommend the Surefire P1R. I carry it on my duty belt and it has been excellent.
    https://smile.amazon.com/SureFire-Pe...acekeeper&th=1

I purchased these Orbtronic batteries to use in the light and have been very happy with the results:
    https://www.orbtronic.com/protected-...650B-orbtronic

I would also consider the new Streamlight HL-X
    https://smile.amazon.com/Streamlight...&keywords=HL-X

With both Surefire and Streamlight you are making a one time purchase and they will fix or replace the light if you have any issues.

I have wasted money on the Chinese lights including Eagle Tac and learned that when you have problems you are expected to email it back to China or Hong Kong. In my case, EagleTac still didn't fix the problem or replace the light.

I have spent over $2K on Surefire handheld and weapons lights over the years and have always been impressed with their durability.

The only Streamlight that ever failed was replaced and mailed to me in a couple days.

I regret the $4-500 I have spent with the Chinese flashlight manufacturers(FourSevens, Fenix, Eagletac) in my experience they often had issues with switching, or thermal regulation and were not as reliable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John10-19 View Post

https://smile.amazon.com/Streamlight...&keywords=HL-X

With both Surefire and Streamlight you are making a one time purchase and they will fix or replace the light if you have any issues.

[snip]

The only Streamlight that ever failed was replaced and mailed to me in a couple days.
    The HL-X is on my short list for a bedside light. The 2L-X is awesome an the HL-X railmounts will throw some lumens. I'm a big fan.

As for service, I'll second that. I've sent my 1L-1AA in twice and tracking the service order on the Streamlight website showed the light getting in and back out in the same day. I cannot argue with that turnaround. Twice I've called Surefire for some busted pocket clips, they sent them out no questions asked.

I just wish that Surefire would do some more rechargeable stuff in 18650 or 14500. An E2DL that took 18650s would be on my "Must Buy" list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

I like my Streamlight 2L-X too. I've been running 2 CR123As in it, but I plan on switching to the Orbtronic 3400 mAh 18650 in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by John10-19 View Post
    Like most Streamlight products, the HL-X is also made in China (see bottom of the HL-X Fact sheet) but as stated Streamlight CS is generally good in the event of a problem. FWIW, I carry a Streamlight PolyTac with primary cells in my car for emergency use and consider it excellent for that application.

I also own a Surefire PR1 and can second it as a very solid choice - it remains one of my go-to lights. To the best of my knowledge it is only sold with a battery and charger as a kit.

As much as I like the PR1, the slightly larger Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 outperforms it by a large margin, both in spec and in use. Though the Hound Dog is too bulky for pants pocket carry, it fits comfortably in a jacket pocket or in a Blackhawk light holster. My thoughts on the Hound Dog 18650 vs. the PR1 here.

User Tag List