Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modified Duty Glock

Site Supporter
    Ours only has to pass an armorer's inspection, and chief's approval...The only one I denied was a Hi-Power with a missing mag disconnect safety in the lasts decade.

My current off duty gun will be my duty gun next year, with: RMR, Suppressor sights, Suarez ignition parts (striker, striker safety plunger, trigger bar, flat patrol trigger, "." connector, and a robar grip reduction and bevertail.

As an armorer I check that all the safeties are functioning, send it up for the chief's approval and the shooter can then try to qualify with it.

A very large agency nearby used to allow APEX trigger parts, and I purchased my own....Then there were some reliability issues popping up that caused the agency to reverse course and stop permitting the APEX parts. I can try to do more digging if you need it.

It all boils down to what your agency decides it is willing to take a risk on. My agency, you are pretty wide open. My CTC laser grips get a lot of gripes, but I am still carrying them and teaching with them. We had one guy with a $3500 Nighthawk custom, and a LT with a Kimber Warrior that had been professionally smithed down to a 3.5# trigger.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 10-18-2017 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Damn...can you at least get the steel version of the "cup and ball" sights?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Our G17 Gen 4s come with factory Glock night sights.

Our department also will issue a G43 if you want one. Those, unfortunately, come with the plastic sights. There are no changes authorized for these as well. I showed some of the powers that be my personal G43 with some higher speed sights and showed them the one hand slide manipulations and such to no avail.

Overall, it's a good place to work. Firearms and shooting tactics are not the focus.

We work off of a Lexipol policy that allows modifications "with the approval of the firearms program manager, at the recommendation of an armorer." Any modifications must be made by an armorer or approved gunsmith. So, it is doable.

Sights, grips, magazine floor plates, mag wells - easy day. Triggers, fire control groups - doable with explanation and knowledge that they won't bypass or defeat safeties, etc. We have guys using Apex parts, OEM trigger groups that Robar has cleaned up and NP3 coated but not some of the questionable after-market triggers. When I started, a lot of our revolvers had action jobs and somewhere just south of 50% of the Office carried customized 1911s (I did for 20 years).

The caveat is someone needs to stay on the mods, ensure they are approved, and installed correctly. This is far more of a policy issue than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Ours only has to pass an armorer's inspection, and chief's approval...The only one I denied was a Hi-Power with a missing mag disconnect safety in the lasts decade.

My current off duty gun will be my duty gun next year, with: RMR, Suppressor sights, Suarez ignition parts (striker, striker safety plunger, trigger bar, flat patrol trigger, "." connector, and a robar grip reduction and bevertail.

As an armorer I check that all the safeties are functioning, send it up for the chief's approval and the shooter can then try to qualify with it.

A very large agency nearby used to allow APEX trigger parts, and I purchased my own....Then there were some reliability issues popping up that caused the agency to reverse course and stop permitting the APEX parts. I can try to do more digging if you need it.

It all boils down to what your agency decides it is willing to take a risk on. My agency, you are pretty wide open. My CTC laser grips get a lot of gripes, but I am still carrying them and teaching with them. We had one guy with a $3500 Nighthawk custom, and a LT with a Kimber Warrior that had been professionally smithed down to a 3.5# trigger.

pat
    Definitely want to hear about the reliability problems with the APEX parts. After shooting a friends Gen 5 G17, I am seriously considering a Gen5 G19, as it seems to be the solution to my personal issues with the Gen 4 19, which are admittedly minor. I do know I shoot the APEXed 19 better and faster than any Glock I've ever owned, cleaning the FAST Drill last week with a 5.9 and 6.1, which are personal bests. Getting there, slowly but surely!
    Last edited by mongooseman; 10-18-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Having previously “outed” where I work, in this forum, I cannot have an opinion, and can only speak about policy in very general terms. We can install non-OEM sights and grips, and this has been interpreted to mean reasonable modifications to the gripping areas of polymer-framed pistols. Everything about the trigger components must be OEM. It appears that installing lighter OEM springs or connectors is not OK.

OEM can mean Les Baer or Wilson Combat parts, in 1911 pistols made by Les Baer or Wilson Combat. Officers who have attended the relevant training can carry 1911 pistols on duty.

I am presently “qual’ed” with two Les Baers and five Glocks.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-19-2017 at 02:33 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mongooseman View Post
    Definitely want to hear about the reliability problems with the APEX parts. After shooting a friends Gen 5 G17, I am seriously considering a Gen5 G19, as it seems to be the solution to my personal issues with the Gen 4 19, which are admittedly minor. I do know I shoot the APEXed 19 better and faster than any Glock I've ever owned, cleaning the FAST Drill last week with a 5.9 and 6.1, which are personal bests. Getting there, slowly but surely!
    Should probably add that the APEX parts were for the terrible resetting first iteration (is incorrect to call it a Gen?) of the M&P9s that they were issuing. Will try to dig, but won't see my source until late next week.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 10-19-2017 at 04:14 AM. Reason: syntax/spelling

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Should probably add that the APEX parts were for the terrible resetting first iteration (is incorrect to call it a Gen?) of the M&P9s that they were issuing. Will try to dig, but won't see my source until late next week.

pat
    No problems with Glocks?

My current department says you can't change anything. Sights, triggers, whatever. Nada.

I'm trying to get into another department that basically lets you do whatever you want if the Chief Firearms Instructor improves. My buddy rocks a total custom Agency 17. If I get hired I'll have a Agency 17 with a RMR and a KKM barrel/comp. I'm stoked for them to let me carry a Roland on duty.

They won't let us carry 2011s cause they want magazine compatibility....which is fair. But I'll try when I get there!

Quote Originally Posted by gskip View Post
    They won't let us carry 2011s cause they want magazine compatibility....which is fair. But I'll try when I get there!
    I wonder if there’s been many / any cases where that paid off?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I wonder if there’s been many / any cases where that paid off?
    The only time the concept has been used by my department is when the chief forgets his mags on qual day.

I can't complain though, my duty G35 is sporting a ALG federal magwell, gadget, 10-8 sights/base pads, and some grip/frame mods. I did however have the minus connector swapped for a dot, not that I can tell the difference.

User Tag List