Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified Duty Glock

Modified Duty Glock

Does anyone work for an agency that allows limited modifications of personally owned duty pistols? I have two Gen 4 G19s. One where the only modification (besides sights) is an Apex trigger shoe and a Freya magwell. The other has the Apex Trigger Kit (trigger shoe, trigger bar, Apex connector, and Apex safety plunger). I REALLY like the improvements to the first gun, which was approved for duty as there were no internal changes to the gun. LOVE the Trigger Kit gun and it's smoother trigger. Would I have a valid argument for duty use of Gun#2, as the trigger bar is OEM, and the other parts don't radically change the pistol's action. Opinions?

What does your departmental policy say in regards to weapon modifications? I think that would dictate any mods that you would do.

If policy says no internal modifications then I wouldn't try to stretch it by thinking that Apex parts aren't changing things that much.
    Last edited by andre3k; 10-16-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    What does your departmental policy say in regards to weapon modifications? I think that would dictate any mods that you would do.

If policy says no internal modifications then I wouldn't try to stretch it by thinking that Apex parts aren't changing things that much.
    That's part of the issue: Previous policy allowed for CID to carry personal firearms approved by Firearms Instructors. It's undergoing revisement (again), but I've qualified with it as a backup/bailout bag gun.

We can change sights but that’s it. Any personal weapon is inspected and approved by range personnel.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

We can change sights and add grip-force adaptors or grip plugs that don't require screws. G34s and 41s (as with all approved Glocks) must have 5.5lb triggers, so if equipped with the negative connectors they must be switched out by armory staff. No specific policy exists re: grip tape, so some guys run Talon grip tape... usually the rubber version because the abrasive version is so... abrasive.

I can only speak for myself and my own preferences but my advice would be to just stick with the stock internals. Maybe they take a little getting used to by they work. From what I've heard Apex does make good stuff and I would like to try their upgrades in my M&P45 1.0, even though I shoot it better with the stock trigger than I did my G21SF or my 2nd gen G22 but my first instinct is to leave well-enough alone. Just something for your consideration, I'm by no means an authority on the subject.

My agency's policy is no modifications which are "competition specific" - so no porting, no red dots, no extended magazine release. There are no restrictions on triggers/trigger components, but personal weapons must be deemed "suitable for duty" by agency FIs.

My personal take is I carry GLOCKs, and they're all BONE STOCK in the trigger area. No ".25 cent trigger jobs", no aftermarket connectors, springs, triggers/trigger bars, etc. IMHO, GLOCKs are shootable exactly as they come from the factory, "improving" them is just asking for trouble.

No changes period.

No sight changes, no grip tape/Talons, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    No changes period.

Same at my agency.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    No changes period.

Damn...can you at least get the steel version of the "cup and ball" sights?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List