Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative effects of Fireclean?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I really like the Slip2000 but it does dry out quickly when running suppressed supers out of my .300 BLK. @LittleLebowski, are you still running the suppressed .300 BLK? Does Lucas stay put or does it dry out like Slip?
    Regular S2k, EWL or ?

By dries out you do you mean leaves no lubricity? At the point of dry out does it cause malfunctions or feel like there's no lube/sluggish?

-Curious in Austin

Schuler I have been using Slip2000 EWL. It works great for me unsuppressed but when suppressed the bulk of the lube gets displaced, what doesn’t get displaced seems to feel very thin and slightly gritty from the carbon. This happens around the 50 round mark. At 250-300 things feel sluggish.

The gun still runs just fine, though the action feels less smooth when cycling the bcg with the charging handle. The action just feels different is all I can say. No malfunctions and I believe the lubrication is working. I typically just add more lube and everything feels normal again around that 250-300 mark.

I would like to find a solution that offers corrosion protection and lubricity without having to feel the need to reapply lube. I think slip2000 is great stuff just looking for something a little different.

I still like and use FireCLEAN from time to time (mostly on my Beretta shotguns as it keeps the piston and magazine tube pretty much carbon free). Haven't had any of the gunking up issues though I'm well aware of them. I use the Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil on all of my handguns and on my AKs & bolt guns. That stuff is the bomb. Lasts a long time and stays where I put it. The small dropper bottle lasts FOREVER! I've been using ALG Go Juice on my ARs. Works well. Having *any* lube is more important than what the actual brand is. Lubed guns work better than dry guns.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Lubed guns work better than dry guns.
    Swear on a stack of bibles, I've met at least 2 people who thought their guns were supposed to squeak, and had no idea what lube was.
    I'm no fan of glocks, but that's just cruel. I wouldn't do that to a Hi Point.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Don't forget:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....he-final-phase

I think I'll be blasting all the FC out of my EDC and replace it with Mobil1.
    So far, I like the grease on my pistols and oil on my rifles. I am getting ready to really hammer on my Gen5 G17, sans cleaning of course, I will update the G5 thread.
    #RESIST

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Let's come at this from a different direction. Have any of you guys switched from one well-reputed lubricant/grease to another lubricant/grease and seen significant (performance?) gains?

My guess here is that as long as you're not using Crisco, it probably doesn't make a significant difference. Most of the weapons systems we use were not designed in the past 10 years, so they were already designed to function well with older lubes in mind. Unless some new wonderlube really does something miles better, I'm gonna probably stick to the same old crap.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce; 10-17-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Let's come at this from a different direction. Have any of you guys switched from one well-reputed lubricant/grease to another lubricant/grease and seen significant (performance?) gains?

My guess here is that as long as you're not using Crisco, it probably doesn't make a significant difference. Most of the weapons systems we use were not designed in the past 10 years, so they were already designed to function well with older lubes in mind. Unless some new wonderlube really does something miles better, I'm gonna probably stick to the same old crap.
    Yes, Slip to FireClean after I saw that the FC kept the gun lubed through more rounds and over a liger period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post
    I had a rifle I used fireclean on. Was great until it sat in a safe for a few months. I don't really clean guns, but there wasn't a ton of rounds on it since the fireclean was last used. Then suddenly I had this thick black crystalline crap all over the internals and could barely charge the gun, like it was full of sand.

While I was shooting a lot it did the job well enough, but when I didn't get to shoot regularly it dried out and gummed up. I mentioned this in a LAV FB post and he acted like that was impossible. I don't need a wonder-lube, I need something that will let me actually fire my gun, even if dirty.
    Had the same thing happen on several firearms. Paul Howe recommended it, and then withdrew his support for the product due to having the same issues. Not long ago I tossed $120 worth of the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post

I've tried, at different times, Slip 2K EWL, lubriplate, Enos' Slide Glide, Mobil 1, Break free CLP, and probably a couple others I'm failing to remember. Never really did notice enough of a difference for it to be worth worrying about, although I'm done with the greases as they are a bit messy to clean up when it's time to really do a good cleaning.

When it's time to do another lube purchase, I'll probably try the Lucas and the Liberty lubes, but I'll probably also buy another quart or Mobil 1 because I kinda like bringing it to the range to make heads explode.

Quote Originally Posted by RichY View Post
    Had the same thing happen on several firearms. Paul Howe recommended it, and then withdrew his support for the product due to having the same issues. Not long ago I tossed $120 worth of the stuff.
    I liked it when I first used it. I was at a job where I could fire a mag or 2 daily and it kept my go to 11.5" SBR going really well. Then I left that job and experienced a significant lack of shooting time (no job for money = no money for ammo) and stuck it in the safe. I pulled it out after a few months and I may as well have sprayed it with spray-on grip tape; the BCG looked like a ZEV refinished Glock.

I was too focused on getting that stuff out of my gun that I didn't bother taking pictures.

Now I use whatever bulk lube I have on hand. Frankly I'm not convinced there's not really any performance gained when using anything other than Mobile 1 or CLP for the most part.
    Last edited by tcba_joe; 10-18-2017 at 11:20 AM.

User Tag List