Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative effects of Fireclean?

Negative effects of Fireclean?

So I'm aware of all the drama surrounding Fireclean and it being Canola oil, etc, but honestly I've had good luck with it on Glocks, AR's, and Benelli's. I'm about out and inclined to just refill my bottle with Crisco oil. Have any of you experienced negative effects from Fireclean? Any reason I shouldn't do this?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I had a rifle I used fireclean on. Was great until it sat in a safe for a few months. I don't really clean guns, but there wasn't a ton of rounds on it since the fireclean was last used. Then suddenly I had this thick black crystalline crap all over the internals and could barely charge the gun, like it was full of sand.

While I was shooting a lot it did the job well enough, but when I didn't get to shoot regularly it dried out and gummed up. I mentioned this in a LAV FB post and he acted like that was impossible. I don't need a wonder-lube, I need something that will let me actually fire my gun, even if dirty.

I posted this link in another lube topic a while back, found it very interesting: https://primaryandsecondary.com/yes-experience-matters/

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Other than having random people come up to you on the range and telling you - "you know that's Crisco?"?

Turned gummy and sticky in a couple handguns after a month or two, induced malfunctions with one of them.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post
    I had a rifle I used fireclean on. Was great until it sat in a safe for a few months. I don't really clean guns, but there wasn't a ton of rounds on it since the fireclean was last used. Then suddenly I had this thick black crystalline crap all over the internals and could barely charge the gun, like it was full of sand.

While I was shooting a lot it did the job well enough, but when I didn't get to shoot regularly it dried out and gummed up. I mentioned this in a LAV FB post and he acted like that was impossible. I don't need a wonder-lube, I need something that will let me actually fire my gun, even if dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Turned gummy and sticky in a couple handguns after a month or two, induced malfunctions with one of them.
    Yikes! Sounds like one of @karmapolice 's guns I rebuilt after he'd been using that Frogsplooge garbage. I've got some Slip2k and that's what I'll go back to. Thanks guys!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    This sounds like what I saw from a guy that (and no, I'm not joking. This actually happened, and it looked exactly as described) used PAM Cooking Spray on his pistol at the suggestion of his firearms "instructor" to lubricate.

Admittedly I got it for free when the maker used a karma thread on here to give out samples to several members, but I've been REALLY impressed with Liberty Lubricants CLP. Every time I think it's been a long time since I last lubed one of my guns and field strip it to check, there's still lube in there doing its job, whether it's my carry gun that barely gets shot and has more to fear from dust than mechanical wear or my USPSA gun that sees thousands of rounds/year and barely ever gets cleaned. When that bottle runs out, which given how long each application lasts, will take a long time, I'll be buying more.

There's great cheap shit like Slip2000 out there on retail hardware store shelves. Why anyone would bother with anything else baffles me.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    So I'm aware of all the drama surrounding Fireclean and it being Canola oil, etc, but honestly I've had good luck with it on Glocks, AR's, and Benelli's. I'm about out and inclined to just refill my bottle with Crisco oil. Have any of you experienced negative effects from Fireclean? Any reason I shouldn't do this?
    Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I keep typing really long responses about snake oil and deleting them, and then rewriting the same response and deleting it.

I read on crossfit that canola oil has a lot of oxidative omega 6 fatty acids and that something with a better balance of omega 3's would be better.
    Last edited by txdpd; 10-16-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List