Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Negative effects of Fireclean?

PensFan
    I never understood why people would use something that's biodegradable to lubricate machine parts. I'm not a fan of CLP's. Always struck me as counter productive for one product to clean and lubricate at the same time. I prefer metal conditioners like Miltec and lubricating oils and grease. If push comes to shove and all I have is CLP it will be Weapon Shield and lube will be Lucas Extreme Duty or Slip EWL.

Application dependent. When I was maintaining over 300 AK's converted to blank firing guns and carried in a rain soaked environment for a month, FIREClean was a Godsend. It allowed for our "juice" (Kerosene and ATF) to work well on the rapid cleaning and reissue of the guns and the final clean up. Basically, I like it for a carbon build up preventative. For a lube and for any kind of long term storage...run. I had a very expensive custom 1911 basically become unusable till it could be detailed stripped by an armorerer and all the FIREClean removed after it sat in a safe for a year awaiting photography. I now use my old stand by Slip2000 or Liberty that I am so far very impressed with.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I found Fireclean gave a shotgun a slightly fishy smell after sitting for a few months. Don't want that infecting my whole safe, so I now only use it for areas exposed to gas, where it does seem to help cleanup.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post
    I had a rifle I used fireclean on. Was great until it sat in a safe for a few months.
    ... it dried out and gummed up.
    Just came back from shooting a stored 10/22 that was lubed with Fireclean. Or better: not shooting, as the firing pin
    and extractor wouldn't move. This stuff gives the word "gummed" a new dimension...

I think it may have a shelf life. It worked great for me across a dozen guns and three years when applied as directed. One day it started to stink and turned to sludge, inducing failures to feed in one of my 19x's. My 9mm bore snake stinks so bad I might have to pitch it... Kind of like rancid vegetable oil.

Before that, I was very impressed with how slick it was. So slick that if you get it on your fingers you can forget getting the cap off of the bottle. Ease of cleanup was a dream.

I also have to admit not being pleased to see that it can be frozen solid.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 01-12-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Just came back from shooting a stored 10/22 that was lubed with Fireclean. Or better: not shooting, as the firing pin
    and extractor wouldn't move. This stuff gives the word "gummed" a new dimension...
    Larry Vickers assured me that couldn't happen...

For a while, I used fireclean on my HK pistols and I liked it. I shot the HKs very regularly so kept swapping out the fireclean. Probably a good thing, I never used it on my metal guns. For those, I used M-Pro7 oil. I have an old half used bottle of fireclean and it's turned very gummy. Finally decided fireclean wasn't worth the risk when gun oil works.
    Real guns have hammers.

I don't know how you guys have such different experiences than I do. I just returned from OCONUS and my firearms that stayed stateside were absolutely fine. None of them had been shot in 14 months, and several hadn't been shot in almost five years.

I've got a beater PSA upper laying around. If you guys really want, I can re-lube the shit out of it and leave it out for the next few nights. We're supposed to get snow tonight, though I doubt it'll be the six inches they're estimating.
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don't know how you guys have such different experiences than I do. I just returned from OCONUS and my firearms that stayed stateside were absolutely fine. None of them had been shot in 14 months, and several hadn't been shot in almost five years.

I've got a beater PSA upper laying around. If you guys really want, I can re-lube the shit out of it and leave it out for the next few nights. We're supposed to get snow tonight, though I doubt it'll be the six inches they're estimating.
    Luck of the draw I guess? I was extremely happy with it and recommended it to everyone right up until the point where it failed spectacularly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Luck of the draw I guess?
    Or, it could be environmental. Things like humidity impact things differently.

User Tag List