Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Negative effects of Fireclean?

For the guys who didn’t like Slip because it wasn’t heavy enough, did you try one of Slip’s heavier products?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I think it may have a shelf life. It worked great for me across a dozen guns and three years when applied as directed. One day it started to stink and turned to sludge, inducing failures to feed in one of my 19x's. My 9mm bore snake stinks so bad I might have to pitch it... Kind of like rancid vegetable oil.

Before that, I was very impressed with how slick it was. So slick that if you get it on your fingers you can forget getting the cap off of the bottle. Ease of cleanup was a dream.

I also have to admit not being pleased to see that it can be frozen solid.
    FireClean is a veggie based oil, and what you describe is exactly what happens when oils go rancid.

Environmental factors can go a long way to explaining the varied experiences of folks w the product. Oils spoil very differently depending on age, storage conditions, additives, etc. Maybe FireClean has an additive that helps prevent spoilage, but the batching isn’t super-consistent, which could explain one persons spoiling in conditions that another’s didn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried it out mainly on one particular AR, which I ran through a couple of classes, one a pretty high round count Frank Proctor class and the other a fairly low round count Sheriff of Baghdad video diagnostics class, and it seemed to work well. I then let the gun sit for at least 3 months during the cold season, after which time I noticed that the oil and fouling mixture was congealed, gunky and pasty, and kind of nasty. I since switched to using Lucas Oil which I have no complaints about at this time.

My other anecdote about FireClean is that in a subsequent SOB class a student had laid his rifle down bolt locked back, and his rifle was beset by an army of ants. The assistant instructor asked the student if he used FireClean, and the student answered in the affirmative, at which point the AI said, "yeah, it is some kind of vegetable oil and ants love that stuff." I thought that was kind of funny, and I will say that getting your gear attacked in the field by ants going after your lube could royally suck.

Oils and Lotions SME
    I really want someone to use cooking oil on their guns. Because they deserve what they get.

Don't use lubricants with Chlorinated Esters, like Militech-1 (at least it used to) because of chloride stress corrosion causing cracks in metal.

Don't leave food safe lubricants on guns for any significant period of time unless you want to clean the sticky oxidized crap off of said guns.

The lubrication problems posed by pistols are really very easy to solve. You can use almost any decent lube that is good for your temperature window, the only real performance difference is how often you need to reapply.

I don't like grease on guns.

Most people (even famous ones) have no business recommending lubricants for any specific application.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    I really want someone to use cooking oil on their guns. Because they deserve what they get.

Don't use lubricants with Chlorinated Esters, like Militech-1 (at least it used to) because of chloride stress corrosion causing cracks in metal.

Don't leave food safe lubricants on guns for any significant period of time unless you want to clean the sticky oxidized crap off of said guns.

The lubrication problems posed by pistols are really very easy to solve. You can use almost any decent lube that is good for your temperature window, the only real performance difference is how often you need to reapply.

I don't like grease on guns.

Most people (even famous ones) have no business recommending lubricants for any specific application.
    Curious: Was the old lube fully cleaned from the gun before appying the FireClean, or was it just layered on top of whatever mix was used last?
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Aray absolutely nailed it.

https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-735R Militec was giving it away by the case during the early swing of the war years, and it's only advantages were: higher viscosity over CLP and similar products, it was available in abundance because of receiving unsolicited cases, and folks not knowing better. The metal hardening and subsequence cracking issues were pretty well known in my AOs by mid-'06.

Fireclean's only hope as a lubricant is to be replaced prior to going rancid and decomposing; it doesn't matter if it is applied to bare or partially lubricated parts; it's x number of temperature cycles and y period of disuse away from being a mess.

Froglube's only hope as a lubricant is for it to be baked on (removing the majority of it in the first place, and also reducing its lubricious donating) and for the weapon it's applied to, to never be cooled. It's better than chapstick on a weapon for OTB activities, but food processor machinery have the wear and failure rates that they do in large part because they have greater mechanical resistance at the start of their operation than at the end. Froglube being repackaged food processor lubricant, most firearms starting from the closed bolt (e.g. no running start prior to first cycling); well, it's not a great combination. Most firearms aren't designed with the same drainage ports or eye for lubricant not accumulating in small channels while still in a fluid state, before congealing into a paste while at rest.

My org does not have good experiences with Fireclean nor Froglube, and it is usually identified because the weapon gets deadlined until a detailed strip, clean, and\or time in the oven or cleaning tank.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

If FireClean "expires" because of it being vegetable based (which I thought was disproven?), it should expire whether its in the bottle or applied on the gun, right?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    it should expire whether its in the bottle or applied on the gun, right?
    Exposure to oxygen accelerates vegetable oil spoilage. So, spoilage could differ based on whether it's sealed or openly exposed to air.

(I'm not saying FireClean was/is vegetable oil. I have no idea what FireClean is made of and I didn't follow all of the drama around it. I don't use "gun oils.")
    Last edited by JV_; 01-13-2019 at 10:36 AM.

I apologize for the thread drift, but has anyone used Cherrybalmz lubricant? I received a complimentary bottle of their Black Rifle lube, and applied it to my issued Glock 35 Gen 4. I only have 1,200 rounds on this gun since applying the lubricant, but so far, I'm pleased with it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Re: Fireclean; https://patents.google.com/patent/CA2867869A1/en

Re: FrogLube; http://www.tracklubeplus.com/ one might compare the descriptors.

It should be mentioned, that outside of austere environments it is not ideal to use automotive fluids to clean nor lubricate firearms. Quite a large many of those carry substances that are not beneficial to inhale when aerosolized or vaporized, to absorb through the skin via direct contact, or to ingest by accident during firing or through secondary contamination.
    Last edited by runcible; 01-13-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

User Tag List