Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buckshot and liabilities of stray pellets.

The terminal distance of a .33 pellet at 1300fps looks to be around 850 yards.

From a height of 48", muzzle parallel to the ground, a .32" pellet at 1000FPS will travel about 130 yards.

Out of the common defensive platforms, buckshot has the least terminal range, but it's still fairly significant.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    I know of deer killed at 60 yards with 00 buck. The smaller 0 buckshot or lower velocity reduced recoil 00 loads might be safer for urban use than the regular velocity offerings.

Now I am am wondering if it might be better to just use slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It’s been a number of years, but in a Bill Jeans Morigan consulting class, he gave an example of a police officer killed at 50 yards or more by a single stray buck shot pellet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I am aware of an officer killed by a stray pellet at about 60 yds distance.
    At Gunsite and through Morrigan Consulting, Bill regularly used the example of the San Jose PD officer who was killed under those circumstances, I believe that GJM and DocGKR are both speaking about the same event.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Now I am am wondering if it might be better to just use slugs.
    It depends. In my current cop role, considering the spectrum of tools I have available, my shotgun is loaded with slugs; however, that is for a specific role. As a private citizen I would not hesitate to use both 00buck & slugs.

Slugs are great against vehicles, large animals, point targets, longer range engagements (typically beyond 25 yds w/a shotgun), and when barriers must be defeated. #1 buckshot excels against close range encounters (generally under 25 yds w/a shotgun)--particularly indoors.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Brobee223 has done some testing with various shotgun loads.

Here is one:

Here is another:

ETA: Disregard this; sometimes I'm bad at math
    Last edited by scott; 10-17-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Just looking at the ballistics, a 00 pellet going 1300 from the muzzle will still be doing 600-something at 2000 yards (assuming .47 BC, 60 grains) if you could somehow get it that far. So this is kind of the obvious answer, but if a stay pellet hits someone, at any distance, it might kill them.
    00 .33" round ball will have a BC around .065-.070. Not much better than a brick. Pretty lousy on paper, pretty good in the real world.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    00 .33" round ball will have a BC around .065-.070. Not much better than a brick. Pretty lousy on paper, pretty good in the real world.
    I dropped a zero between estimating the BC and putting it into the calculator because I'm special. Thanks for catching that.

This is the sort of shit that can drive you crazy.

With buckshot out of a shotgun, I have pellets that while still capable of being lethal out to a couple hundred yards, are less likely to be. But there are 8 or 9 of them.

With a slug, I have a single projectile that is more likely to be lethal out to a longer distance.

With a rifle I have a single projectile that is more likely to be lethal to a longer distance yet.

Sometimes you just have to weigh the pros and cons, pick one, and rock on.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List