Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45--Nearly Flawless Gauntlet Performance

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Can we get over the randomized statistical circle jerk with this test already?

Quality means a fundamentally good design that performs well in its idealized implementation, prints that are complete and well-specified with all the functional features controlled well, materials well specified for the design with trustworthy certs, the microstructure of the metal in the intended condition, whether billet, cast or forged, correct heat treatment, tool wear managed so surface finishes are of the correct profiles, accurate machining and gauging, finishes that meet spec with minimal defects, good "fit and finish," etc.

MAC's "gauntlet" test is not a quality audit. Guns that do well in the test have full-length dust covers and outer rails that prevent the muck from sticking to the side of the slide and getting drawn back into the between-the-rails space and jamming it up. That is the difference that makes a difference for the Arex versus a genuine Sig. It's also logically helpful in the test if the "rails" are short little steel tabs with the forward most ones at least 1/3 of the length of the gun away from the front of the slide where the muck starts entering. Pistols that have both of these characteristics will do well. A Taurus that had those characteristics would do well, if something else didn't go wrong.

Name:  HK-USP-45-leftt.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  37.5 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Can we get over the randomized statistical circle jerk with this test already?
    If I want a statistical circle jerk, it will be made up of numbers, not this N=1 Youtube "torture test to get hits" crap.

Instead, I look at the HK USP's history. Let's start with years of service - release in 1993 still in wide use by no less than 44 MIL/LEO agencies globally. With who knows how many that adopted it initially and have since moved on, due to time?

Multiple shooters have used USP variants to win National and International shooting competitions.

The USP has in some role served as SOCOM available weapon since its 1993 release.

Collectively, millions of rounds of ammunition have been fired from HK USPs and by and large there are virtually no common mechanical issues with these guns.

That speaks to me, that in the collective, the USP is a damn good handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    It just comes down to if you are willing to accept it's horrible ergonomics in exchange for fantastic accuracy and world-class reliability.
    That's precisely what I would give up ergonomics for - fantastic accuracy and world-class reliability.

___

FWIW - I do not know, nor have I ever, owned an HK USP. I have, however, always liked the way they felt in the hand. And maybe it's high time I buy one...

Like I mentioned in the other thread.

The USP is many things, big, bulky, etc, but being unreliable they are not.

Agree with what others have said about the USP45. Also reminds me of that thread on hkpro that supposedly said a USP45 had over 300,000 rounds through it at Federal Ammunitin and was still holding up great.

Quote Originally Posted by AJD21 View Post
    Agree with what others have said about the USP45. Also reminds me of that thread on hkpro that supposedly said a USP45 had over 300,000 rounds through it at Federal Ammunitin and was still holding up great.
    Think it was only 298,000.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    All numbers and statistics aside... did you see how much mud was caked on that freakin gun? Damn.

Now that's worth circling up for...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If I want a statistical circle jerk, it will be made up of numbers, not this N=1 Youtube "torture test to get hits" crap...I have, however, always liked the way they felt in the hand...
    I don’t know what to think about the manner in which you started and concluded that post, but thank you for encapsulating the salient point of this thread - a statistical circle jerk MUST have a N > 1. People who think otherwise are either deluding themselves or are using the Stranger Technique (lights out, sit on your hand until it’s numb).

Everything else in that video and in this thread has been well known for almost 20 years...
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    297,xxx.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    297,xxx.
    My god! KILT IN THE STREET! If my handgun cannot go 300,000+ rounds, it's the worst thing ever. I'm gonna die carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I don’t know what to think about the manner in which you started and concluded that post.
    Hey, just letting y'all know what kind of guy I am.

ETA: I know I'm not supposed to act like this in a tech forum. So let me say, I've found Heckler and Koch weapons and in particular HK USP handguns to be stalwart beacons of reliability. In my time slinging guns across glass, it was hard to convince folks on the upsell to a USP over a G-Lock. And for the most part it doesn't matter too much, to be honest. But I sold over 2000 HK firearms in that time and had ONE - ONE gun go back to HK for service for a frame replacement...and that one had been chewed on by the owners rottweiler.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-16-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    ...and that one had been chewed on by the owners rottweiler.
    I'm guessing it mighta still functioned OK.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List