Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do Decide What Kind Of Ammunition To Buy ?

From the 80's to the 2000's I carried whatever "Uncle" provided. (I still have some but will shoot it up as training ammo over time.)

Since I no longer qualify for free carry ammo I've tried to carry ammo which has proven effective in the field or via testing.

Current carry is Federal HST 147gr standard in my 9mm Glocks. (I also have some of the HST 124gr +P, and 124gr standard Gold Dots.)

Hornady Critical Defense is available for those times I have to be in NJ to visit family in order to avoid the hassle of having to prove the legality of hollow points under LEOSA. In NYC I only have to concern myself with magazine capacity. And so it goes.

Like others, I keep an eye on Doc GKR's list of "best qualified" ammo for the handful of firearms in my small stable.
    Last edited by blues; 10-16-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    I am definitely unqualified in the field of ballistics, so I read Doc's ammunition reviews.
    That won't stop some from piping in........
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I don't get too wrapped around the axle about pistol ammo unless it's a specialized and/or necessary requirement. Somebody handed me 600 rds of this stuff a few years ago ..... enough to get me through several gunfights. It's acceptably accurate and dead-nuts reliable (my MAIN criteria) in all my 9mm pistols so more times than not that's likely what's in my guns.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I don't get too wrapped around the axle about pistol ammo unless it's a specialized and/or necessary requirement. Somebody handed me 600 rds of this stuff a few years ago ..... enough to get me through several gunfights. It's acceptably accurate and dead-nuts reliable (my MAIN criteria) in all my 9mm pistols so more times than not that's likely what's in my guns.
    I think all of my remaining "issue" ammo is 115gr +P+

(One thing I can say about my time in federal service, you never knew from one quarter to the next what the carry ammo was going to be. To their credit, however, one always qualified with the same ammo which was to be carried. Might be Silvertips, Black Talon, Sub Sonic, Hydra-Shok, etc etc from one quarter to the next.)

Site Supporter
    I buy Gold Dots for my AR and pistols because they always seem to make Doc's list. Lawman 9mm is cheap and shoots similar to my gold dots. M855A1 type ammo is also cheap and shoots similar to 55gr Gold Dots.

Federal HSTs are my back up if I can't find Speer.

I shoot the same weight in practice ammo as I do carry ammo because I am too simple to remember differences based on what weight bullet I just stuffed in the gun (which frankly for my shitty shooting doesn't really matter that much anyway, but I am determined to get better 25 yard groups).

The reason we carry high quality, well tested ammunition is because it's not a major hassle for an advantage. If it becomes anything of a hassle (like beyond adding a 50 round box of Gold Dots to your 1000 round ammo order), it starts to matter less and less.

To bring perspective, this is pretty low on the priority list (this isn't really sorted by any kind of priority, just pointing out there are a lot of things ahead of whether you're carrying the newest/bestest ammo)
    1. Are you mentally and physically prepared?
    2. Are you trained in medical/unarmed/blade/firearms techniques?
    3. Are you carrying a reliable gun that you can shoot well? Preferably .380 or up.
    ...All the other things I can't think of...
    X. Is your carry ammo a quality hollow point?
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 10-16-2017 at 09:35 AM.

I’ll pipe in. First, we are fortunate to have docGKR access here. That’s way too good to ignore. Second, 20-round boxes are an abomination. 3rd, I grew up playing on the snake river, and later used to ride my sportbike up and down the old lewiston grade for fun (a fantastic, quasi-abandoned roller coaster ride), so I’m partial to the locals for my SD ammo. Simple, really.

Federal HST, 147 grain, $17.75 per 50. A 1000 round case is $350, shipped. I just press the "easy" button and use what's readily available, vetted (DocGKR's list) and not in a 20 round boutique box.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/coll...p-50rds-p9hst2

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Since I no longer qualify for free carry ammo I've tried to carry ammo which has proven effective in the field or via testing.
    The worst part of retirement. I'd buy a couple boxes of duty ammo, it's the free training ammo I really miss.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The worst part of retirement. I'd buy a couple boxes of duty ammo, it's the free training ammo I really miss.
    There was no difference between carry and training ammo at our agency...but yeah. Me too.

(However, if that's the worst part of retirement I'll venture a guess we have nothing to bitch about. )
    Last edited by blues; 10-16-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I especially like to hear "why" when people completely unqualified share their methodology.
    I'm completely unqualified and my methodology is pretty simple. I got on Facebeast and sent a PM to Pax/Cornered Cat and asked her what's in your gun right now.
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-16-2017 at 02:22 PM.

User Tag List