Thread: Sightmark Laser bore sight to zero a Red dot??? What the?

Question Sightmark Laser bore sight to zero a Red dot??? What the?

So I picked up a 9mm sightmark Laser bore sight to see if the Rd dot sight I have on my M&P 9L is actually zero-in or not.
    I'e been shooting very accurately with it out to 35 or so feet.
    I took it to the range with me and a friend brought his G34 with a vortex Venom on it.
    Dropped it into the barrel of mine and set a target at 35 feet (where I know I'm hitting where I want to be, at least I think I do)
    the Laser was about 2 inches higher than my red dot. So I raised the dot and my gun shot so low it wasn't even funny.
    the exact same thing happened with my friends G34. We had to re zero them back to where we originally had them.
    so what gives? even at 50 feet the laser was up quite a bit higher than the dot (with both of our guns)
    My indoor range only goes out to 50 feet but my outdoor pistol range goes to 100.
    do I have to sight this in at at longer distance for ti to be accurate?
    I kind of feel like I just spent $27.00 for absolutely nothing?

someone please help me out here am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad laser?

You likely have a bad laser...... for that price, I don't expect much from a laser.......
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I have found a lot of these lasers, as well as practice lasers, to be lacking. They don't seem centered, or the button breaks, and then it appears to be way off.

I've bought 4 of them, from dirt cheap to pretty expensive, and all were way way off. On the cheapo ones, I just used them for cat toys, but the expensive ones I sent back, again and again, and after I got the third ones, well, they became cat toys too.

Doesn't work

Sightmark lasers don't seal up into the chamber the way a live round does. I tried this several times with 3 different pistols, each time I'd go back to a different gun to repeat the procedure, the "zero" was way off. Have to do it the old fashioned way on the range.

But yes, they are good for cat toys.

Could it be that you need to offset the laser's poi the distance the RDS is above the bore?

For example, I have a Ruge MK1 with a Sig Romeo mounted on it, I just looked and the center of the tube is about 1 9/16 above the bore.

So my thought is that if I was bore sighting that I would put the dot 1 9/16 below the desired POI.

I've only used a borrowed bore sighting system like this one to get a rifle scope on paper and that was nearly thirty years ago:

Note that above I said 'on paper' because my understanding is that, in essence that is what a bore sight is for, to get you on paper so you can fine tune your zero.

Just my SWAG, YMMV.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

The Wheeler gets me within an inch or two at 25 yards. I use it all the time.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Zeroed a Staccato with the Wheeler last night and shot it today. Five shots at 15 yards of Lawman and five of Syntech. The Wheeler has saved me so much time and ammo.

Name:  A3DEF3E6-B7D0-4A5C-A288-EC7F19B9B3F1.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  32.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Wow, this thread's back from the dead.

But I've had a Sightmark 9mm and .223. Neither were close, or at least no more accurate than a 'poor man's boresight' (securing the upper/slide and looking down the barrel).

User Tag List