Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help putting a trauma bag together?

I keep 2 packs of aspirin ( 2 325mg tablets) in my kits, truck, wallet, etc. I don't know how to link to Amazon so Tom gets a nod, but the name is Logisitics Aspirin Tablets, 2 pack (50 packs for $10). Not cheap but super handy for carry.
    Last edited by vaspence; 10-16-2017 at 06:18 PM.

If we’re talking baby aspirin for a MI (a term I remember from when my dad had one), I have a small case 1” x 1” x 1/4” with 4 x 81mg chewable baby aspirins already ground up for use (no need to chew).
    Last edited by Moonshot; 10-16-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Does anyone know of a source of individually wrapped baby aspirin? Seems more practical than adding a small bottle to each kit...
    Not exactly the dose you're looking for, but Chinook Medical carries a lot of the single-dose packets of OTC meds, including standard aspirin (2x 325mg). Also check out their medication module and MedsPAK for stocking boo-boo kits and your Dopp kit.

This is what I posted last time around:

I've owned a number of portable med kits. Ironically, the best one I've found for a compact kit is an old laptop bag I got at a thrift store for $5 that I cut the internal straps from to allow it to splay open flat. I have a full sized Iron Duck kit with everything up to first-line drugs and chest tubes + Heimlich valves. But seeing as it's probably $20k+ worth of supplies, it stays locked in the home except for road trips or range days, when it goes in the trunk. For my smaller kit that stays in my trunk I have:

Small pouch

PPE (N95 mask, nitrile gloves)
    CAT Tourniquet
    Quikclot Z-folds
    Decompression kit (Clorhexidine scrub pad, 14g IV catheters, 3-way stopcock valves, Durapore tape)
    Gauze (rolled and loose)
    Coban roll
    Trauma shears & gauze shears
    10cc saline flushes
    Hemostat & tweezers
    Bulk sterile military gauze dressing (for open abdominal wounds/eviscerations)
    NPA + Surgilube
    Sharpie

Large pouch:
    Hyfins chest seals
    Bolin chest seals
    Asherman chest seal
    4x5.5in. Opsites (for chest seal)
    6x8in. Tegaderm (for chest seal)
    Various IV's (14-24g + plugs + lines + tape + tourniquets + alcohol swabs)
    1l Saline
    0.5l Ringer's lactate
    SAM splint + wrap
    Various Naloxone kits (0.4mg/ml MDV + 2mg/ml pre loaded syringes + IM syringes + tourniquet + alcohol swabs)
    Stethoscope

Outside pouch:

Heat blanket
    MRE heaters
    Chemlights (white, high intensity)
    Cravats

I live in a very murdery, heroin infested place, hence the abundance of chest seals and Narcan. I could bring back 6 heavy-duty OD's @ 2mg's naloxone each and treat ~20 individual thoracic wounds with just what is in the smaller kit. With my full kit I can do much more, including crich's, chest tubes, cardiac arrests and intubations (though no RSI drugs anymore ). But I would be heartbroken to have it stolen from my trunk, so it stays at home except for certain occasions.

Attachment 20274

Attachment 20275

Attachment 20276
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Site Supporter
    I wouldn't recommend a BVM for the non-professional. Bagging is best done with 2 people ( one maintains the seal, one bags) and it takes practice to maintain the skill. I get a lot of practice ( Thanks, Fentanyl and co!). They also take up a lot of space.

If you want more than a piece of saran wrap between you and your patient, you could use a pocket mask.https://www.amazon.com/MCR-Medical-Rescue-Pocket-Resuscitator/dp/B008NP66UW/ ( Again, 1st Amazon link)
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I wouldn't recommend a BVM for the non-professional. Bagging is best done with 2 people ( one maintains the seal, one bags) and it takes practice to maintain the skill. ( Again, 1st Amazon link)
    We're taught to bag solo. I would be comfortable doing this in the field, but I also get mucho practice at it too... that said we're also usually only bagging them for a handful of minutes before they get RSI'd. Also agreed a CPR face mask is probably best for someone w/o training

one more thing I forgot re:splints; there is absolutely NO fucking way I am letting someone reset my arm in teh field if I am anywhere with a <1hr EMS response time and I can immobilize it in a sling or such. as far as I am concerned the only person who can touch my broken extremities are Ortho and that's only after the propofol
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-16-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    one more thing I forgot re:splints; there is absolutely NO fucking way I am letting someone reset my arm in teh field if I am anywhere with a <1hr EMS response time and I can immobilize it in a sling or such. as far as I am concerned the only person who can touch my broken extremities are Ortho and that's only after the propofol
    While this is an issue I largely agree with you on, if I come across an extremity fracture with no distal pulses, significant bleeding, or neurological compromise, it's getting reduced in the field (assuming I get consent from the patient). And if I reduce it, it gets a SAM splint or traction held until EMS arrival. Plus you can use a SAM splint for a C-collar if necessary. Splinting should only be attempted by those that are comfortable doing so (especially with improvised splints like the SAM), but it should not be delayed when there is deformity combined with neurovascular complications. The ortho docs can reset a bone in surgery later with all their awesome power tools if necessary. But neurovascular compromise is nothing to play around with. In my experience, most patients see a marked reduction in pain once a serious fracture is reduced in situ. While I'm a firm believer in the magical powers of Propofol, sometimes turning that 90 degree angle into a 180 degree angle is all it takes to recuce a majority of the pain. And even if you don't decide to reduce a fracture in situ, you can still splint and stabilize a deformed limb with a SAM. Stabilizing is always a good option. SAM's are cheap, light and a worthy addition to any first responder kit IMO. Though I was a Wilderness EMT back in the day and took a class specifically on how to get creative with SAM splints. YMMV.

http://emj.bmj.com/content/22/9/660.short

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...99581DFA616C07

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1964177/

http://www.jems.com/articles/print/v...w-properl.html
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    While this is an issue I largely agree with you on, if I come across an extremity fracture with no distal pulses, significant bleeding, or neurological compromise, it's getting reduced in the field (assuming I get consent from the patient).
    OK, yeah, egregious but good exception. Still, in a metro area, even if that was my leg... no way. If I kink my popliteal or something that's really bad, for sure, but I don't want it to dissect because Fire comes along and wants to use their inflatable raft to set my tibia (no offense Fire... just please dont jaws of life my car). Here I'd also get a code 10 return, a trauma activation and ortho + gen surg in the ED on arrival. If I was deep in backcountry... different story.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-16-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Having run the risk of losing my leg from a complex multi-open fracture due to lack of blood flow and significant nerve damage, I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that you won't get a splint on me if there were to be a repeat of that injury....... ain't gonna happen as long as I am conscious.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Having run the risk of losing my leg from a complex multi-open fracture due to lack of blood flow and significant nerve damage, I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that you won't get a splint on me if there were to be a repeat of that injury....... ain't gonna happen as long as I am conscious.
    Oftentimes during overnights, when they are staffed only by one 1st and one 2nd year resident, Ortho will come down for consults and attempt to set broken limbs with inadequate pain control onboard. You can hear the screams across the department. We remedy the situation by introducing ortho to the magic of ketamine.

We are taught in school that muscle can go without blood for about 3 hours before you begin to get irreversible damage. I would wait til the very last minute before I let someone set my limb in the field.

User Tag List