Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help putting a trauma bag together?

Question Help putting a trauma bag together?

I'm trying to get a couple of trauma kits put together and am looking for some input. Looked over previous threads and got some ideas, but I know I tend to go overboard what-iffing when it comes to packing things so I need some help keeping things rational and not bank-breaking.

As background, I was a volunteer firefighter for four years; never got to take EMT classes and never worked a major trauma case, but we did basic trauma training, I have done CPR in the field, and back in the day I could board and collar like nobody's business
    There is a local outfit that offers a trauma training class and I'll be trying to attend their next series of classes whenever that is.

The idea would be to have one stashed in the car (which I could attach to the range bag as required) and one at home. Ideally I'd like something I could carry every day but I'm not quite sure what to put in that, nor how big of something I could make use of that I'd actually be able (and remember) to carry every day.

We live within line-of-sight to a fire station, but sometimes we drive through more rural areas. We also have a toddler to worry about so I need supplies that will work for him, too.

For each of the big kits, I'm thinking this:
    Tourniquet (2)
    Israeli bandage (2)
    Emergency blanket (2)
    CPR mask
    Chest seal 2-pack (2)
    Hemostatic gauze (2)
    Regular gauze packs (2)
    Tape (1 roll)
    Pocket BVM (1)
    Nitrile gloves (2-3 pair)
    Shears (1)
    Alcohol swabs
    Baby aspirin

"Booboo kit" for the car pack; we have this stuff at home

All criticism welcome
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Needle decompression. Neosporin. I have a lot of gauze and Kerlex. Otherwise, yours pretty much sounds like mine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chingy98 View Post
    Needle decompression. Neosporin. I have a lot of gauze and Kerlex. Otherwise, yours pretty much sounds like mine.
    Unless/until I get training on the needle, I'm leaving it out. Neosporin is part of the "booboo kit".
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Very wise move on the needle. Without EXTENSIVE training, no one has any business trying to dart someone's chest.

I'd consider an NPA or two in children/adult sizes. And rolled gauze. And more than 2-3 pair of gloves. And a couple of ACE wraps, wide and regular sized, Velcro closure would be nice, but not critical. Handful of safety pins; they take little room and work wonders for keeping people's guts from falling out.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Very wise move on the needle. Without EXTENSIVE training, no one has any business trying to dart someone's chest.

I'd consider an NPA or two in children/adult sizes. And rolled gauze. And more than 2-3 pair of gloves. And a couple of ACE wraps, wide and regular sized, Velcro closure would be nice, but not critical. Handful of safety pins; they take little room and work wonders for keeping people's guts from falling out.
    NPA I've kind of thought the same thing--until I can get some training in one (I never saw one used in practice and only saw an OPA used once that I know of--that was a memorable call!) I'm hesitant to put it in the bag.

More gauze and gloves, not a problem. I buy the gloves in bulk packs from Sam's for working with paint and other things in the workshop, cleaning bathrooms and guns, etc. so not a problem to add a few more. Ace wraps are easy to get too.

Keep in mind that this kit, or any for that matter, isnt all about you. Having tools trained professionals can use, such as an NPA is not excessive, and even a basic level EMT will know what to do with it. Which is why I say no Needle Thorocentisis...... a medical professional would be very reserved in using such a technique outside of a controlled/sterile environment. Even in combat, chest decompression is a last resort, and few combat medical trauma care providers are keen on performing the task in the field.

Ace wraps and rolled gauze can stop bleeding in all but the most severe arterial hemorrhage. If I was choosing between rolled gauze + ace wrap or Israeli battle dressing, I'd choose the gauze and ACE.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 10-15-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Good thread. I've got a similar kit x 2 (one on my GHB and one in my range bag). I've had some basic IFAK training, but need more.

My kit has...

Shears (1)
    4" IBD (2)
    CAT 6 TQs (2)
    S-compressed gauze (3)
    QC combat gauze (1)
    tape (1 roll)
    gloves (2)
    space blanket (1)
    chest seal (petrolium gauze dressing - 2)
    NPA with lube (1)
    Head lamp (1)

May replace the petrolium gauze dressing with HALO or HYFIN. Also considered a decompression needle - not for me to use (I've had zero training with this), but perhaps someone else may be nearby who has training but no kit.

Part of GHB kit includes boo boo supplies. These aren't part of range bag kit.

My question here...

Why more than 2 or 3 pair of gloves? To equip more people? Because they break during use? For more than 2 or 3 victims? Really curious.
    Are 3 compressed gauze enough?
    Never thought of safety pins. Never thought of having to keep contents inside rather than spilling out. Would an IBD-type abdominal wrap be better (replacing one of my 4" IBDs)?

My intended use for my kit is for myself or a family member following a trip to the range or an accident of some kind (hense more than one TQ and IBD), so I'm not too worried about bodily fluid exposure from blood or mouth-to-mouth, but I realize I'm not really equipped for helping a stranger. What kind of CPR kit is reliable, will offer protection to me as the user, and fit inside my already crowded kit?

Sean M - looks like you already answered some of my questions as I was writing my response. I get it regarding the decompression needle.

Regarding gauze and ACE vs IBDs - IBDs aren't much bigger than an ACE wrap, but seem to do more without having to improvise. Would it not make more sense to perhaps add compressed gauze and use IBDs instead of ACE wraps, or am I missing something?

Not trying to be argumentative. I really want to know.
    Last edited by Moonshot; 10-15-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    I agree with Sean M on the needle. I don't have one in my kit currently ( I probably should) and I'd be real hesitant to place one outside of work.

Gloves are cheap and don't take up very much space ( roll em). And you had to buy a whole box anyway right?

Why more than 2 or 3 pair of gloves? To equip more people? Because they break during use? For more than 2 or 3 victims?
    Yes, yes, and yes. Also, when in doubt go up a size. If they just barely fit when your hands are dry, if you have to change gloves, you may not be able to put new ones on once your hands are sweaty.

CPR wise, the standard for single rescuer/layman is now hands only. The concept being that once you build up some pressure/flow with good CPR, there's more benefit to maintaining that flow/pressure than stopping to get some oxygen into them.
    http://rebelem.com/wp-content/upload...ns-765x632.png
    If you want to include a barrier device, one of the 'CPR key' type face shields won't take up too much room and should do the job. 1st Amazon link I found https://www.amazon.com/ResQue1st-CPR.../dp/B00GBG0NL8
    Last edited by TQP; 10-15-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

There's frequent mention of needing a quantity of training to do a needle-D. I think many of you would be surprised at what professional rescuers with that skill in their scope of practice actually get in initial and recurring training. Even with regional and service-specific variations.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I agree with the needle d. Not that you should do something you're uncomfortable with, but it's not hard. And if you think someone needs it, hopefully the good Sam law will cover you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

User Tag List