Page 189 of 249 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2485

Thread: Pets!

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Love the Newfies. They do seem to attract cats, kind of like a planet has moons.
    When your goal in having a dog is for it to be a gigantic friendly drool monster which other people may mistake for a black bear, they sure do fit the bill.

New puppy...
    Eight weeks old.

Name:  IMG_20201109_083723281_HDR.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20201108_212456.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  50.6 KB

Named him Colt.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Love the Newfies. They do seem to attract cats, kind of like a planet has moons.
    Well, one of our cats is pretty big too (part Maine Coon).

Name:  IMG_20201101_051857.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  56.5 KB

The major thing all the books and articles about Newfies missed is this:

If your Newfie barks, everyone but Newfie and English Mastiff owners will be scared. (OK, not everyone--the 5' 3-4" girls at daycare aren't phased.) Giant breeds have huge deep barks. And Newfies go through fear periods like many other dogs. But a Newfie with puppy brain can be 140+ pounds.

Having one of these barking at you is disconcerting for most people. Our dog, even after ridiculous amounts of socialization, will still get scared by unexpected things. Like being snuck up on by a trash can. We were walking while my wife got allergy shots. The traffic and commuter train noises distracted him and he didn't notice the trash can at first. I made him quit barking, then sit, and then relax, before letting him go up and sniff it.

Name:  IMG_20201107_090548.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  69.5 KB

It is weird -- we think some of the people he barks at are scared of him before he barks. But others, who aren't scared of him, also get barked at. He barked at the husband of the lady who does grooming for all the Houston area Newfies -- he just laughed and said "I've been barked at by bigger dogs". But the inanimate objects are particularly weird.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    Well, one of our cats is pretty big too (part Maine Coon).

Name:  IMG_20201101_051857.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  56.5 KB

The major thing all the books and articles about Newfies missed is this:

If your Newfie barks, everyone but Newfie and English Mastiff owners will be scared. (OK, not everyone--the 5' 3-4" girls at daycare aren't phased.) Giant breeds have huge deep barks. And Newfies go through fear periods like many other dogs. But a Newfie with puppy brain can be 140+ pounds.

Having one of these barking at you is disconcerting for most people. Our dog, even after ridiculous amounts of socialization, will still get scared by unexpected things. Like being snuck up on by a trash can. We were walking while my wife got allergy shots. The traffic and commuter train noises distracted him and he didn't notice the trash can at first. I made him quit barking, then sit, and then relax, before letting him go up and sniff it.

Name:  IMG_20201107_090548.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  69.5 KB

It is weird -- we think some of the people he barks at are scared of him before he barks. But others, who aren't scared of him, also get barked at. He barked at the husband of the lady who does grooming for all the Houston area Newfies -- he just laughed and said "I've been barked at by bigger dogs". But the inanimate objects are particularly weird.

Those are cool dogs!

We had a red heeler that was a stray or dumped on us. She’s getting close to a year old now. She barks at the oddest things, like she has OCD. The normal stuff I get, wild animals, strange people, etc. What seems odd is she barks if something is out of place, like a broom lying in the garage or a new bucket in the yard.

She’s a good dog, but the energy level is other worldly. It’s not the kind of dog I would have chose but I’m glad to have her, especially for my wife.

Presa Canario Pup picked him up Sat.
    Comes from good working lines.

His Mom
    Name:  19OctZorba8-e1581402373840.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  50.9 KB

Good lookin' brindles.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Grandson sleeping with his 4 month old mastiff puppy...

Name:  611F952E-5593-4E07-BA64-941AA6884A04.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  31.6 KB

While I’m sweating my ass off on the Peloton Maggie the Chocolate Lab is snoozing err halping.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

The traditional Thanksgiving hike. Somebody had a great time.
    I think this was the only time he stood still.
    Name:  IMG_5310a.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  73.6 KB

My sweet Mollie would have been 7 today. She was a once in a life time dog, and I can’t believe how much I still miss her.

User Tag List