Page 172 of 249 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 2485

Thread: Pets!

Thank You for this community

Please forgive the word count on this but I will be as brief as I can.
    This forum is a fount of wisdom from experienced and knowledgeable people. I've come here to learn for several years now.
    This thread however, has always been one of my favorites. My family and I are dog people and our dogs are family.
    Four years ago we lost our yellow lab of 13 yrs. She was my constant companion and I was her loyal frisbee launcher. I thought I was ready for her departure but was sorely mistaken. Not only was she an awesome friend and companion, she was a direct link to the brother I never had growing up and my son's Godfather. We lost him in Afghanistan in 2005.
    After two years my wife took the initiative to push me back on the horse and decreed that I should start looking.
    I had read entry after entry in this thread about GSD's and what amazing animals they are. So, slowly at first, I began the research about them. All the while reading the comments regarding them written here by folks I considered to be both well informed and squared-away.

So, after a ton of OCD research, we brought home our first GSD. A tiny ball of furry attitude that instantly owned my heart. We just had her first birthday party tonight (my wife's insistence).

Name:  IMG_2066.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  46.2 KB

I can't say "thank you" enough to the people here who provided the insight that led me to have this amazing girl in our family. She is a high drive, working-line dog and all of her grand parents were either German or Czech. She runs me ragged and my body is bruised and broken from her enthusiasm. But I love her with every morsel of my being. Her personality is a mix of crazy, stubbornness, and affection. I can see her thinking when she looks at me and she is, by a large measure, the smartest dog I have ever known. She's 88 pounds now and built like a water buffalo. Most mornings, when the alarm clock goes off, she vaults into the bed with my wife and I and flops down between us. It's kind'a like getting mugged but she's so damned cute all I can do is hug her.

So, again; my family and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the guidance and honesty that led us to her. We truly appreciate it.

Name:  IMG_3424.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  70.7 KBName:  IMG_3238.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  40.4 KBName:  Tala Natural Arch.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  54.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BBDT View Post
    Please forgive the word count on this but I will be as brief as I can.
    This forum is a fount of wisdom from experienced and knowledgeable people. I've come here to learn for several years now.
    This thread however, has always been one of my favorites. My family and I are dog people and our dogs are family.
    Four years ago we lost our yellow lab of 13 yrs. She was my constant companion and I was her loyal frisbee launcher. I thought I was ready for her departure but was sorely mistaken. Not only was she an awesome friend and companion, she was a direct link to the brother I never had growing up and my son's Godfather. We lost him in Afghanistan in 2005.
    After two years my wife took the initiative to push me back on the horse and decreed that I should start looking.
    I had read entry after entry in this thread about GSD's and what amazing animals they are. So, slowly at first, I began the research about them. All the while reading the comments regarding them written here by folks I considered to be both well informed and squared-away.

So, after a ton of OCD research, we brought home our first GSD. A tiny ball of furry attitude that instantly owned my heart. We just had her first birthday party tonight (my wife's insistence).

Name:  IMG_2066.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  46.2 KB

I can't say "thank you" enough to the people here who provided the insight that led me to have this amazing girl in our family. She is a high drive, working-line dog and all of her grand parents were either German or Czech. She runs me ragged and my body is bruised and broken from her enthusiasm. But I love her with every morsel of my being. Her personality is a mix of crazy, stubbornness, and affection. I can see her thinking when she looks at me and she is, by a large measure, the smartest dog I have ever known. She's 88 pounds now and built like a water buffalo. Most mornings, when the alarm clock goes off, she vaults into the bed with my wife and I and flops down between us. It's kind'a like getting mugged but she's so damned cute all I can do is hug her.

So, again; my family and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the guidance and honesty that led us to her. We truly appreciate it.

Name:  IMG_3424.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  70.7 KBName:  IMG_3238.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  40.4 KBName:  Tala Natural Arch.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  54.1 KB

Dogs like this are "family-you-choose", but they also choose you. You will have no deeper connection nor loyalty than this, for however long they can endure. Dogs such as this are proof that our deity loves us and wants us to be well looked after.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

She's adorable! What's her name?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Annie is allowed on the leather couches and chairs. She is not allowed on the beds.
    We were all strict(er) with Seth's predecessor Astro (Jane his wife...), but we took Seth in after he maybe had a tougher life so we let him do what made him most comfortable. There is some chance we might have become a bit more mellow at the same time

No dogs on our bed or "good" living room furniture. They are allowed on a couple of designated couches in the TV room, and computer / library room.

And, of course, their own bed at the foot of ours. (I call it a Puppy-Pedic.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    No dogs on our bed or "good" living room furniture. They are allowed on a couple of designated couches in the TV room, and computer / library room.

And, of course, their own bed at the foot of ours. (I call it a Puppy-Pedic.)
    That works in my house until I go out on the road. Then I return to find a German Shorthair Pointer sized divot on my side of the bed... I actually had to have a bit of “discussion” with him a few months back. I walk into the bedroom about 2am from jet lag and he gives me this look like...”The spare bedroom is just down the hall...”

Umm....No.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    That works in my house until I go out on the road. Then I return to find a German Shorthair Pointer sized divot on my side of the bed... I actually had to have a bit of “discussion” with him a few months back. I walk into the bedroom about 2am from jet lag and he gives me this look like...”The spare bedroom is just down the hall...”

Umm....No.
    My wife is the one that is more “hell, no” about dogs in the bed. I had dogs in the bed as a kid, but I like my wife sleeping with me more than my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    She's adorable! What's her name?
    After much gnashing of teeth, we decided on "Tala".
    "According to the internet", it's Iroquois for wolf.
    I wanted something short and distinct that she'd be able to recognize and distinguish easily. My wife had reached out to her facebook minions and was getting the rough equivalent of "Doggy McDogface" back. So I found and pitched Tala to my wife as a compromise and she relented.

Site Supporter
    Looks like I am getting "Lucky" after all. Although we won't be picking her up until mid April.

We've confirmed we are naming her "Sasha".

(who am I kidding?; I've confirmed my wife has decided to name her Sasha )

Name:  PHOTO1-Sasha.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  81.6 KB

Here's some action plctures of our dogs:

User Tag List