Page 128 of 250 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 2494

Thread: Pets!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    A dog that charges you from across the street is definitely a problem, IMHO.
    Dogs sniffing at each other in passing and having it escalate is a judgment call.

I wasn't there, so, YMMV, of course.
    That does make sense.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    So...

Ungrateful Freeloader and I were out for our normal Saturday morning walk when a pitbull across the street (unprovoked) slipped its owner, charged UF, and bit her. She's got puncture/lacerations on one of her forelegs, and in her inguinal area (where the pit bit her thigh), so we're in full "cone of shame" mode for the next several days. The pit's owner was able to get control of his dog pretty quickly, and he reimbursed me for the vet bill, but it's a pretty but inconvenience.

For my part, I had no idea what to do. Once the pit started biting UF, I didn't want to stick my hands into that mess, and I tried to maneuver myself between them, but a dogfight is... well... a dogfight. I'm not sure what I could have done; my options seem to be either do next to nothing, try to pull them apart, or go up to "11" and pull out my clinch pick or something. Maybe some pepper spray for the future?
    For the aggressor (or both) grab back legs, lift, pull apart when they let go. Dogs do not like that.

Or if you have the right choker collar like a fur saver approach the biter from behind, put both hands under the collar with palms up, lift the collar as high as you can on the neck, lift dog up and turn your hands in like you’re trying to touch your thumbs. They’ll let go when they can’t breath. Just be aware if you choke a dog unconscious he’ll probably come up fighting when he recovers.

I don’t like sticking my hands close to the faces of fighting dogs.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 04-30-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A working dog:

Name:  FFred.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  78.0 KB

He's my sister's dog.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroob View Post

We added even more this past Thursday. This is Kira. Also a Tamaskan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damn, I seriously thought that was a coyote for a min.

Speaking of the cone of shame. Jake has a wound on his rear leg that he won't leave alone. The vet's guess is lick granuloma, which I've never heard of, but it seems to fit. He gets beside himself when I'm gone, despite having someone home with him 24/7 (we're one of those weird home school families). I've been travelling for work a lot lately, and he's decided chewing on his leg is the best way to cope with it. Poor dude.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    Speaking of the cone of shame. Jake has a wound on his rear leg that he won't leave alone. The vet's guess is lick granuloma, which I've never heard of, but it seems to fit.
    My dog was never diagnosed with this, but at one point he was an excessive licker of his feet and legs.

I'm pretty sure it was a food allergy as I changed his food and he stopped the licking - almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    My dog was never diagnosed with this, but at one point he was an excessive licker of his feet and legs.

I'm pretty sure it was a food allergy as I changed his food and he stopped the licking - almost immediately.
    That was our first guess too. I've tried quite a few different foods: grain-free, isolating and avoiding the differebt meats one-by-one, etc. Haven't found one that seemed to help. I suspect there may some odd nerve thing going on too. He will pick his leg up while he eats like his wound is hurting while he chews. As soon as he stops eating he'll go to lick the wound.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    Speaking of the cone of shame. Jake has a wound on his rear leg that he won't leave alone. The vet's guess is lick granuloma, which I've never heard of, but it seems to fit. He gets beside himself when I'm gone, despite having someone home with him 24/7 (we're one of those weird home school families). I've been travelling for work a lot lately, and he's decided chewing on his leg is the best way to cope with it. Poor dude.
    We've been giving my dog catnip with peanut butter to ease his anxiety. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Damn, I seriously thought that was a coyote for a min.
    No yote in her bloodline. But you are not the first to think it.

Also a heads up for those with Dual coat breeds. Look into your local crafting markets. You may be able to sell the shed hair to yarn spinners.

User Tag List