Page 6 of 251 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets!

Attachment 265
    Marvin the Silky Terrier and Lucy the Alsatian.

Honey, My 3mo old Cocker Spaniel

Our new German Shepherd Pup, Jaegar...

Thought about a Mal, but after looking at their needs we decided it was a BIG no. This little guy is about as much drive as our house can handle with so much else to occupy our time. I work obedience with him every day, and socialize him at the kids' bus stop. He is turing into a great addition to our home.

nice lookin pup! great breed. my buddy taught all of the basic commands ie. sit, speak, come etc.... in german to his shephard. thought that was kinda cool.
    I feel that if a gun is good enough to protect something as important as a bar, then its good enough to protect my family. - Homer Simpson

The only command he knows in german is "Potty" - and he will only go in the designated area - "Area 52". He will also recall on a whistle (coach's whistle), which is probably the most important for me - don't want him running out of the culdesac and getting hit by a car.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Our new German Shepherd Pup, Jaegar... Thought about a Mal, but after looking at their needs we decided it was a BIG no.
    Cute puppy, the wife loved the picture. We're talking about getting a GS in a year or two. Did a bit of research on the GS comparing it to the Mal and the one quote that stuck with me was "They're like a fur coated chainsaw with teeth, on meth!" or something close to that effect. Most of the conclusions I've read is that the GS is much easier to handle and the Mal takes a more experienced owner/handler.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Cute puppy, the wife loved the picture. We're talking about getting a GS in a year or two. Did a bit of research on the GS comparing it to the Mal and the one quote that stuck with me was "They're like a fur coated chainsaw with teeth, on meth!" or something close to that effect. Most of the conclusions I've read is that the GS is much easier to handle and the Mal takes a more experienced owner/handler.
    That is pretty consistent with what I found in my research.

If you want some good info on working dogs, check out Leerburg.com. He has hundreds of training videos online that can be watched for free. Michael Ellis also has a good site with lots of training stuff. I am amazed at how much Jaegar has learned in just 3 weeks, and I have based all my training on Michael Ellis' principles.

I would take a good Shepherd over a Mal. In my personal experience, Shepherds are better about the natural protective instinct. My Mal never leaves my side. I would prefer he patrolled the house like my old GSD did. He is however, an excellent family dog. My daughter and he are bonded and he has infinite patience with her. The GSD will do things automatically, out of instinct, and in a precision manner. The Mal will go balls out, 110%, and are EASY to train. The Mals shed less and have far better health overall. No bad hips or spleenatic tumors.

Look for a Czech or East German line GSD. With either of these breeds, you have to be the boss. Their instincts are very different from those of other common dog breeds.

I have gotten a good Mal and a good GSD fom Craigslist. For free.
    #RESIST

He has German Blood Lines, with most of the dogs having Schutzhund Titles. He really loves the kids and I think he will be a great addition to the family : )

I do wish he had short hair like a Mal or a Dutchie, but that certainly was low on our priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    If you want some good info on working dogs, check out Leerburg.com. He has hundreds of training videos online that can be watched for free. Michael Ellis also has a good site with lots of training stuff. I am amazed at how much Jaegar has learned in just 3 weeks, and I have based all my training on Michael Ellis' principles.
    Thanks for the info. After seeing the picture of your pup the response I got was "Oh my God, I want one!!!".

User Tag List