Page 78 of 249 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets!

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    God, I know I agreed to let my wife pick the next dog, but please let the holy spirit speak to her so she doesn't get a trembling little lap dog...
    If she made the request to pick after you got Moose, you're in trouble.

I don't think I posted these here before, if so, apologies.

Grouse hunting last fall with the Malamute bird dog Haley,

Man I cant wait til fall!

Bumblebee VS Bam. I could've captioned this 100 different ways...

Hahahah!

"This cookie tastes way better than those Milkbones of yours. Ask me how I know."

About 20 years ago I remember walking into the kitchen early Saturday morning, and seeing my son sitting with the dog like yours is. They were happily sharing a box of Milkbones and a glass of milk.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Hahahah!

"This cookie tastes way better than those Milkbones of yours. Ask me how I know."
    If it weren't for the wife & kids he wouldn't be so cuddly.

Diamond our 10 yr old American Bulldog after a walk with Daddy

Ollie our 8 yr old Sheltie

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.

Question....
    I have had mutts, Chesapeake Bay and Lab retrievers, and Rotties, all have had pluses and minuses. From a watchdog perspective the retrievers were useless, however when awake, the chessie was the terminator, 8-0 in the neighborhood against other dogs that tested him, and ferocious at the front door when confronted with strangers (but little kids could crawl on him and poke him in the eye without fear of reprisal). The Rotties were scary good watchdogs, "pity the fool" who would have considered breaking in. I could have just sat back and made popcorn. Funny side bar..... I once gave the older Rottie a Nylabone, a really big one, and turned away. I started hearing crunching sounds and turned around to see him chew it into little pieces in about 5 minutes and swallow it. That was not pretty a few minutes later.......
    So, after the death of our last dog, We are now looking for a decent watchdog (not necessarily one that can take matters into it's own jaws) and also a good running companion. I have recently read some good things about German Shorthairs. Thoughts?
    I am also considering a Shepherd, as I love their personality and attributes, but hate the shedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    Question....
    I have recently read some good things about German Shorthairs. Thoughts?
    Why not another Rottweiller?

We currently have a German Shorthair and have had two in the past. Great family dogs but they can tend to be high strung. We have a large yard so they got lots of exercise.

Our female had an excellent demeanor, kept a watchful eye, and had a good bark but I doubt she would have ever attacked anyone if they came in the house.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I do like them. The difference I found with the Rottweilers over the other breeds was that when you tried to get them to do something, they thought about, and if they agreed with it they did it, otherwise, no dice. But, scary smart, super strong, super alert, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Sean,

Can we have a few more pics please! How are things going now with both little guys/gals?
    I only have two additional pics right now......I've been on the road for the last 3 weeks. During that time, she had an ER visit, a couple nights stay in the hospital, and had heart surgery yesterday. I'll drive through the night to get home early afternoon, and pick her up from the hospital tomorrow. Doctor expects her to make a full recovery, and live a long, healthy, normal life..........

User Tag List