Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: History of the U-Notch Rear?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I thought Warren Tactical uses a U notch?
    I thought the same and actually had to go look last night. The original Warrens are a U, but more of a calculator font U, squarish with small radius corners and a flat bottom. The Warren Sevigney variants look to be true square notch.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I thought the same and actually had to go look last night. The original Warrens are a U, but more of a calculator font U, squarish with small radius corners and a flat bottom. The Warren Sevigney variants look to be true square notch.
    Mine were all that style.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I think some of their sights are U, some like the Sevigny are straight, and their logo has a U notch.

Name:  DD452EF7-7EA3-4A14-BB50-ADEA75BE3F1B.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  31.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have tried both Vickers Tactical/Wilson Combat Glock Sights with a U notch as well as 10-8 sights with the U notch. Not a fan. I find accuracy at distance easier with square notch sights and not much difference up close. I have also tried both Y-notch and square notch WOTG Proctor sights. Again, strong preference for the square notch. I have heard both the rationale that the U-notch makes it easier to align the top of the sights, as well as the rationale that squares and right angles are easier to align. My brain and vision definitely prefer the latter, although my preference may very well be due to two decades of experience with square notch sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I thought Warren Tactical uses a U notch?
    Yes, and they did have some explanation behind the shape. Supposedly, human eye get attracted to sharp lines and making rear as U directs the attention to front sight vs sharp edges of the notch. Making it a wide U addresses the issue of not having enough light around the front sight.
    Last edited by YVK; 10-16-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Yes, and they did have some explanation behind the shape. Supposedly, human eye get attracted to sharp lines and making rear as U directs the attention to front sight vs sharp edges of the notch. Making it a wide U addresses the issue of not having enough light around the front sight.
    IIRC, this is accurate to their reasoning.

I think there may be something to it with black on black sights, but I'm pretty well convinced that a bright front sight is a stronger draw to the eye than the sharp bottom of the rear notch in a squared sight. At the very least this has been my own experience.

I got out a couple different slides yesterday, after being disappointed with the precision of my HDs this weekend at class.

I checked Defoors with and without sight paint, HDs, 10-8 rear U with black front and with painted front, Defoor rear w TCAP, and operators with hot pink color fill.

My flash sight picture confirmation was best with the painted Defoors and the TCAP, followed by the Operators. U notch black front was middle of the pack with the HDs bringing up the rear. My automatic refining of sight picture was abysmal with the HDs compared to others and I think that's what I was fighting hard yesterday.

Now I have to get some Dawsons for my HKs for real.

My quick spiel on u-notch..... I used a 10-8 Performance u notch on all my P30s for about 4 years and well over 100K rounds. The theory / opinion is that straight lines draw the eye and cause distraction. Guess what, the 10-8s are serrated with a whole bunch of lines. I have since moved to Tijicon 3 dots on my carry gun, which can be another can of worms. I think much is made about the distraction of certain sights based on the individual perceptions. What one calls distraction, another may call feedback. U notch is great, 3-dots are great, fiber is great, depending on the shooter and the application. Another example of a popular sight utilizing the u notch is the Trijicon HD. Also serrated, and gives the appearance of a golf ball in a gutter to some. Just like the new gun phenomenon, same thing applies to sights. You tend to focus on the new piece of gear, which can be a handy thing with sights.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    The age of shooter has everything to do with how well he sees any sights. A second factor on acceptance is trends. Square notch rear and square post front sights have been associated with precise sight pictures for the 55 years that I've been reading the literature. Wider rear sight notches and more narrow front sights allow more daylight on either side of front sight posts. This choice is one trick to assist older eyes and/or assist with improving accuracy during rapid fire or lowlight shooting. In recent years I've been observing frequent posting of 7 yard shot groups. My opinion is at this range the sights matter very little unless the shooter is almost blind, and then they may not matter at all.

I use 10-8 rears and really don't notice the shape of the notch at all.

I had a Heinie Classic rear with a 10-8 front this summer and it was a more pleasing sight picture to my eyes, but when actually shooting the gun I couldn't tell the difference. I know that when I'm on the clock I see the front sight when I want to and that's it.

I've always been able to use any sights without much performance difference between 'em.

I personally hate U-notch sights. I shoot a lot at 25 yards on B8s and some at 50, and for me, it really seems to destroy my accuracy.

User Tag List