Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory ammo, specifically Federal, but other too

Factory ammo, specifically Federal, but other too

Posting ammo question here as it specifically pertains to the USPSA competition. As a starting point: reloading is not going to happen for me any time soon. I shoot factory ammo and since Federal is supposed to have the softest primers, Federal is what I shoot, 115 grain. After two years of trying to get random light strikes out of my Stock 2 (14 lbs hammer spring, PD firing pin and spring for technically inclined or curious), or at least to find a way to not have them happen during major matches, I kind of gave up on Tanfo. Light strike during A3, light strike during the Nationals, and I picked up a CZ Custom tuned Shadow 2 from my local gun store (GJM). 13 lbs hammer spring, extended firing pin and light firing pin spring, supposedly this should ignite everything. Two light strikes on same Fed ammo in single action today made me think I was unfair to Tanfo.. My PX4CC lit those rounds up no problem, from a DA too. That prompted this post:

- Is a consensus opinion that these race Production guns demand handloaded ammo?

- Anyone here shoots factory ammo out of their tuned CZs and Tanfos with a good success?

- Anyone noticed any issues with Federal Am Eagle ammo in terms of reliability?

These damn race guns are like crack, once you start shooting them, it is hard to give them up, but I am starting to get pissed.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I may be mistaken, but I thought Federal primers were considered "soft" when purchased as reloading components, and in duty ammo, but not necessarily in American Eagle?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Our agency practice ammo is AE 124 grain. I wouldn’t call them hard, but dabbling with 17/18 lb mainsprings in the Sigs led to more light strikes than I was willing to entertain. I’d consider them similar to the HST primers. Both of which SEEM harder than Federals purchased in component form (or the Winchesters I’ve been using the last several years). FWIW.

Those are some interesting observations. I keep a log on my guns. With these specific guns it is hard to do analysis at times since I was effin around with different spring weights and I am sure that at some points I went unrealistically low. That said, at spring weights that conventional wisdom would suggest reliable functioning, I seem to have had more light strikes with the Federal than CCI Lawman. So I do have my doubts if factory Fed ammo is that soft.

My competition ammo is AE 124g. I have never had a light strike with that ammo from any gun I've shot it in.

My competition gun is a Beretta Elite II though.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Of issues I've seen in pallets of AE9DP/AP/FP, ignition has not been one of them. Federals are pretty easy to light off, but Winchester, CCI, and some green frang here and there are better to check fire control mods against.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

In my Tanfos I use the extreme 13.8 lb hammer spring and it is about 99.5% on CCI primers. I would put in a 15 or 16 lb hammer spring before switching guns. You could also order Atlanta Arms ammo for matches.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...I thought Federal primers were considered "soft" when purchased as reloading components
    Correct.
    Last edited by JV_; 10-18-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    In my Tanfos I use the extreme 13.8 lb hammer spring and it is about 99.5% on CCI primers. I would put in a 15 or 16 lb hammer spring before switching guns. You could also order Atlanta Arms ammo for matches.
    All of these options have been tried to some extent. I installed a 15 lbs PD spring and didn't particularly like what it did to trigger pull quality. It was still a decent gaming trigger but I wasn't sure I wanted to put up with a less than great trigger on a purpose built game gun. I had terrible light strikes on Atlanta Arms and Federal ammo during this year's A1 match, GJM and Talionis witnessed my misery. I am not blaming the ammo, my mainspring then was too light but my learning point was that I didn't perceive AA and Fed to be significantly different in reliability department. I do plan on shooting my remaining AA ammo through the Tanfo and maybe getting some more for a bigger sample size. I don't mind $335/case match ammo. However, if Shadow 2 allowed me to run $190/case ammo in practice and matches without any headaches, I'd switch for a headache reason alone. If Shadow 2 is the same crop of a special needs gun, then I'll stick with Stock 2, subjectively I like better.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I shoot primarily AE147 in all match and training guns, including a Mink Shadow (not sure of hammer spring weight, but it is a crazy light trigger). No light strikes to report.

User Tag List