Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Duty rifle purchasing help

As many have stated, too short is too short. My experience with the Mk18s (10.5") was less than exceptional - they required a lot more maintenance and a lot more lube than a standard M4. My carbine would barely run through a 200-round range session without reliability issues - and had to be cleaned spotlessly between sessions.

Contrarily, our agency-issued M4s are the definition of abused and neglected, yet I've yet to see one hiccup that wasn't directly related to ammunition.

Unfortunately, I have limited experience with the "tween" sizes - 11.5 etc...

ETA: I whole-heartedly agree that the shorter carbines are significantly easier to maneuver in/around vehicles and in tight quarters (such as indoors), I just don't know that the juice is worth the squeeze for a general patrol rifle. I think an M4 pattern 14.5 or 16" semi-auto makes perfect sense as a general issue should weapon; shorter barrels probably only needed for specialty teams.

And unless I were funded directly out of President Trump's personal accounts, I wouldn't even LOOK at HK rifles. I'd take a Colt any day; there are PLENTY of "civilian" 16" carbines that will do EVERYTHING a patrol rifle needs to do...
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 10-16-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Arcadia California issues Colt commands 11.5 or they used to. I am told Dean Caputo has a lot of knowledge on this platform.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    If funding is an issue, HK416 wouldn't be on my list.
    This...

Where Sig previously hooked you up on the demo 320's, you should check with them on a T&E SBR. Alternatively, find a local SOT that has what you want and get a demo gun or two from him.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Where Sig previously hooked you up on the demo 320's, you should check with them on a T&E SBR. Alternatively, find a local SOT that has what you want and get a demo gun or two from him.
    If you really want a piston gun the SIG 516 is worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    PM me for your Colt matters...
    Thanks for your help.

I got some more direction from the command today in regards to budget. I've also received some support from Colt and we're trying to secure a T&E of a few models that should fill our mission.

Attachment 20990

I don't know if you are still looking for info, but my department uses HK416 (both 14.5 and 10.5s). We don't like them. I'm pretty sure we all would choose a 11.5 BCM or a Colt 10.5 over it. They are just too heavy and beat the shiz out of themselves. The biggest problem we are having is that we need new parts and can't get them. It's just not worth it.

I was not aware of the Colt LE6933-EPR. But a 6933 with a Centurion M-Lok rail would be an excellent choice for what you are looking for.

Let us know how the T&E goes.

Colt T&E today with a few different models. The 6933 EPR is a very nice rifle. Lots of features for the price. It received the highest marks from our guys. Big thanks to Wayne Dobbs for help in this process. Hope to finalize things soon. More to come.

Attachment 21313

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Colt T&E today with a few different models. The 6933 EPR is a very nice rifle. Lots of features for the price. It received the highest marks from our guys. Big thanks to Wayne Dobbs for help in this process. Hope to finalize things soon. More to come.
    Attachment 21313
    Never got an email from you, but good luck with your procurement.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List