Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duty rifle purchasing help

Duty rifle purchasing help

I’m looking for advice on procurement of approximately 25 new SBR’s for my unit. I’ve gotten the green light to begin the process but there is no decent guidance or process in place. Basically, the decisions makers know we need/want new rifles and they are willing to purchase. The rest has been left up to me and I’m not up to speed on where to begin.

We just went through this process for pistols within the last year. SIG was the winner mostly because they were willing to offer up a couple demo P320’s for us to T&E and that’s all it took. Glock and HK reps didn’t answer the bell for the modest 50 unit request.

I’ve been told to try to acquire rifles for T&E. For guys and gals that have been down this road before, any advise on where to begin? Should I just contact the manufacture LE sales reps for our area or are there companies set up to handle the process. We will be trading our current AR’s.

My unit does entry/warrant duty exclusively and we need/want SBR’s in 5.56. Factory complete guns only, not going to approve anything else. We will only equip them with slings, WML’s and Eotech XPS2’s

My two choices so far:

Colt LE6946CQB 10.3”
    HK 416 10.4”

Any advice is welcome and needed. This procurement process is not my area of expertise but I’ve volunteered to take it on knowing that if I don’t, it won’t get done any time soon. Please PM me if you don't want to reply in an open thread. Thanks.

Attachment 20858

Every thread needs a pic...

Site Supporter
    Are you planning to run suppressors on those 10" guns ? You should be.

If you are not running them surpresssd I would look at 11.5" or 12.5" DI guns.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Are you planning to run suppressors on those 10" guns ? You should be.

If you are not running them surpresssd I would look at 11.5" or 12.5" DI guns.
    Not at this point due to funding.

Talk to Stacy or Adam at Primary Weapons Systems for some demo models if you want piston. They are very, very impressive rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have any Colt or H&K L/E contacts?

Colt’s corporate number is 860-236-6311. H&K’s commercial and L/E sales number is 706-568-1906. Worth a shot to ask for a local representative to discuss procurement/testing.

Also, have you considered the SCW0921?

I have no relevant experience with suppressors, so I'll leave those to someone else. My neighboring regional team issues 16" HK416 with cans and the guys report the guns work very well, but being piston guns, are quite front heavy. Also, after putting cans on the guns require much more frequent cleaning. I'm issued a Colt M16A2 Commando (11.5") which has been very reliable despite 18 years of continuous service without any preventative maintenance. Parts have only been replaced when broken. We have 16" SIG M400's for patrol, and other agencies on my regional SWAT team have 11.5" M400s. Decent guns, but the 11.5" M400 seem to require a LOT more lube than my Commando.

For DI, I think 11.5" is about as short as I'd like to go. Even at 11.5", they are VERY loud and depending on the ammo, velocity may drop below the projectile's design window for optimized terminal performance. In addition, some folks much more knowledgeable have said 11.5" is about as short as the carbine gas system can accommodate without becoming somewhat temperamental. I'm already at the edge of my lane, so I would not care to speculate the reasoning why.

Is the EoTech requirement an agency one? They seem to have fallen out of favor lately, for a multitude of reasons.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

We issue Colt M4 (3rnd burst) in 11.5" length. (Can't recall the specific number, but the semi auto version is the 6933). The burst is pretty useless on a police gun. I would prefer a semi only lower with a better trigger.

That being said, our guys don't clean them nearly enough, and they get abused. And yet, they run well in spite of it.

I am confident that colt has any kinks worked out of their 11.5" guns. Just my .02 opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I have no relevant experience with suppressors, so I'll leave those to someone else. My neighboring regional team issues 16" HK416 with cans and the guys report the guns work very well, but being piston guns, are quite front heavy. Also, after putting cans on the guns require much more frequent cleaning. I'm issued a Colt M16A2 Commando (11.5") which has been very reliable despite 18 years of continuous service without any preventative maintenance. Parts have only been replaced when broken. We have 16" SIG M400's for patrol, and other agencies on my regional SWAT team have 11.5" M400s. Decent guns, but the 11.5" M400 seem to require a LOT more lube than my Commando.

For DI, I think 11.5" is about as short as I'd like to go. Even at 11.5", they are VERY loud and depending on the ammo, velocity may drop below the projectile's design window for optimized terminal performance. In addition, some folks much more knowledgeable have said 11.5" is about as short as the carbine gas system can accommodate without becoming somewhat temperamental. I'm already at the edge of my lane, so I would not care to speculate the reasoning why.

Is the EoTech requirement an agency one? They seem to have fallen out of favor lately, for a multitude of reasons.
    Thanks for the input. I'll take note of the 11.5" vs 10.3" DI issues. We are issued the EoTech's and most, including me like them a lot and they have given us great service.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Not at this point due to funding.
    If funding is an issue, HK416 wouldn't be on my list.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    The Colt 6933 sounds like it would do what you are looking for with all the support and parts availability.

User Tag List