Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a retention holster a requirement for concealed carry?

The issue with taking an SME's suggestion from an article, or Internet forum, or video clip is that they are rarely framed in the appropriate context, with an in depth explanation as to how he/she arrived at the "why" they think this is a good idea. A guy like Ayoob has changed an evolved his opinions on these things over time, and it is important to understand the background on his opinions to apply it properly to our individual situations.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Last I checked, level 2 or greater retention and concealment were mutually exclusive. The Safariland IWB/AIWB GLS gets close but nobody would confuse it with a JM.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I consider true concealment to be equivalent (or even better, depending on the situation) to one level of active retention such as a level 2 holster like a thumb break or ALS. If you could get complete concealment of a level 2 holster it would definitely be more secure, but most level 2 mechanisms significantly detract from concealment as well as add complexity to a draw where you're already having to deal with reliably clearing a garment.

Site Supporter

Is a retention holster a requirement for concealed carry?

My experiences at ECQC, which is one of the best weapon retention testing labs available and relevant to civilians, did not lead me to conclude that a retention holster was worthwhile for concealed carry. Instead, for retention purposes, it did lead me to greatly prefer AIWB, and it also gave me a marginal preference for leather instead of Kydex for such a holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by nalesq; 10-15-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Last I checked, level 2 or greater retention and concealment were mutually exclusive. The Safariland IWB/AIWB GLS gets close but nobody would confuse it with a JM.
    What is a JM

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    What is a JM
    JM Custom Kydex
    Last edited by blues; 10-15-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    My experiences at ECQC, which is one of the best weapon retention testing labs available and relevant to civilians, did not lead me to conclude that a retention holster was worthwhile for concealed carry. Instead, for retention purposes, it did lead me to greatly prefer AIWB, and it also gave me a marginal preference for leather instead of Kydex for such a holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This is an excellent summary of my thoughts here, too.

I would say that if you carry strong side and carry a Glock, that it is worth looking at the leather pancake version of the safariland GLS holster. IF it works for your carry style, there isn't much to lose for that added layer of retention.

I'm fine with a good leather or kydex IWB. If I were in an occupation where I was quite likely to have to get hands on with people that knew I was packing, I would give more consideration to active retention holsters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    This is an excellent summary of my thoughts here, too.

I would say that if you carry strong side and carry a Glock, that it is worth looking at the leather pancake version of the safariland GLS holster. IF it works for your carry style, there isn't much to lose for that added layer of retention.

I'm fine with a good leather or kydex IWB. If I were in an occupation where I was quite likely to have to get hands on with people that knew I was packing, I would give more consideration to active retention holsters.
    I currently use a Galco Combat Master holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I currently use a Galco Combat Master holster.
    If I recall, that holster does not have a reinforced mouth/opening. That is something to keep an eye on. As the holster wears over time, it can lose some rigidity and become a trigger fouling hazard.

Not to say don't rock on with the holster. Just be aware that when it starts to feel a little old and soft, it's time to start looking for a new holster.

I would also say that if you are liking that style, it is worth checking to see if Safariland makes a GLS model 537 holster for your gun.

User Tag List