Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a retention holster a requirement for concealed carry?

Banned

Is a retention holster a requirement for concealed carry?

I couldn't come up with a better word but I'm curious if anyone uses a retention holster when concealing. What's the general consensus?

ETA This is where the question came from. I'm not asking anybody to disagree with Massad ayoob but this video is the only place that I've heard this so I thought I'd throw it out and ask here

https://youtu.be/HlJUc8iBcEA
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-14-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Not necessary. Keep the gun concealed. Be nice until it’s time to not be nice anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This can be a matter of semantics, but I want ALL my holsters (even pocket holsters) have some level of retention. By that I mean the retention on my concealed carry holsters is "passive" (no snaps, locks or releases that I must manipulate to draw the gun) but they retain the pistol when the holster is turned upside down.

When I was a LEO, some of my concealed carry rigs had "active" retention features, but I personally find it unnecessary as a civilian. YMMV
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Concealment is a level of retention...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Banned
    So I'm guessing you're not watching the video. Because what they're talking about in the video I would say level 1 retention holster. I currently use a Galco open top leather holster. It seems to work fine I've never been in a fight for my handgun but I want to make sure that I'm not missing something stupid

If the majority of respected trainers and industry experts believed it was a requirement, it would be common, and you'd see a plethora of retention concealment holsters on the market. Your holster is but one piece of the puzzle when it comes to carrying a gun. Only you can decide what you need, and not losing your gun is a consideration in the decision making process. There are other ways to avoid this problem.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 10-14-2017 at 09:52 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

For field and concealed carry use you’re probably okay with a holster that will retain the weapon if turned upside down and vigorously shaken. That may be enough retention to keep the weapon from coming out of the holster if it snags on a seatbelt or a branch or if you take a spill. In a physical confrontation I would want to make sure that I’m not going to lose control of the weapon and thereby cause a needless escalation with me being the unarmed party facing my own weapon. My personal decision is not to use holsters that don’t have an active retention feature either a thumb break on IWB holsters or the wonderful ALS Safariland on OWB holsters. With proper training there is minimal hindrance to your draw stroke and I think that taking steps to see that your weapon is secure is both reasonable and prudent.

Just my .02
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    If the majority of respected trainers and industry experts believed it was a requirement, it would be common, and you'd see a plethora of retention concealment holsters on the market. Your holster is but one piece of the puzzle when it comes to carrying a gun. Only you can decide what you need, and not losing your gun is a consideration in the decision making process. There are other ways to avoid this problem.
    That's one of the things I considered. I haven't heard other people suggesting a retention holster for concealment and there doesn't seem to be a large market for it. That said to me the mere fact that two recognized SMEs suggested it at least makes it worthy of further inquiry. The fact that none of you are saying "Yes this is exactly what I do." Is causing me to reconsider and decide I probably will not be pursuing this further.

Thanks

Is a retention holster a requirement for concealed carry?

The last time I trained with Mas he had an open top concealment holster on. I doubt he is using a Serpa holster these days. The video is old (it says LFI...NOT MAG). I’m sure his SME role requires him to use different holsters regularly.

I also see where he’s coming from, but a large part of the rationale he uses is coming from the perspective of the off duty or plain clothes policeman. The argument about the aggressor in a case of targeted violence against you MIGHT know where your gun is and attempt a disarm is plausible, but I’d rather (personally) have a software solution to that, as opposed to putting all of my eggs in one basket with a holster’s security device. And I think Mas would agree. With all that said, I DO use the Safariland ALS and GLS paddle rigs when I can rock a jacket.

I normally carry in a JM AIWB holster, or in a DSG clip when I’m in gym clothes. Both holsters are open top with no other security features (tension screws), but they’re near my centerline and in a good position to be defended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 10-15-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Speaking for myself, my only concern is that there is sufficient retention to keep the firearm in the holster under normal activities and prevent the gun from falling out if turned upside down and shaken.

I learned from personal experience that my DSG holster was more than adequate to secure and protect my Glock when I took a spill on a rough gravel road while sprinting after my dog. The gun was not dislodged nor scratched though I tore up my hands and had abrasions on my torso.

That level of retention gets the (black and) blues seal of approval.

User Tag List