Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout scope setup

Ruger Gunsite Scout scope setup

I have a poly stock, Ruger Gunsite in .308. It has the OEM, “Scout Mount,” for forward mounted optics. I’ve noticed that there exists an XS rail product that allows the user to install optics in the forward mount (Scout) or conventional position.

I have a Leupold Mk 4 LRT 3.5-10 that is currently not in use, and I could put it on this Rifle.

My use is primarily for training...I plan to take the Gunsite Scout course AND Randy Cain’s GP Rifle Course in the immediate future.

My question to the cognoscenti is, should I roll with the XS long rail and the Mk4, or get a Scout scope setup for this? I have other conventional scoped hunting rifles, so that’s where my familiarity, in terms of usage lies.

Please advise and thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The LRT scope and the GSR are a bit of a mismatch.

For the uses you describe I would recommend a conventionally mounted low power variable scope with illumination 1-4, 1-6 or 1-8.

The scout scope concept was developed to fill the niche currently occupied by red dot sights and LPV scopes. An optic which is better than conventional hunting scopes for snap shooting and better than irons for precision. It was a good soloution given the technology available at the time but there are better options now. Another factor which made Col Cooper such a fan of the forward mounted scout is the fact Cooper was cross eye dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The LRT scope and the GSR are a bit of a mismatch.

For the uses you describe I would recommend a conventionally mounted low power variable scope with illumination 1-4, 1-6 or 1-8.

The scout scope concept was developed to fill the niche currently occupied by red dot sights and LPV scopes. An optic which is better than conventional hunting scopes for snap shooting and better than irons for precision. It was a good soloution given the technology available at the time but there are better options now. Another factor which made Col Cooper such a fan of the forward mounted scout is the fact Cooper was cross eye dominant.
    Awesome! Makes sense! What scopes in the Leupold line matches that? The VXR?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Awesome! Makes sense! What scopes in the Leupold line matches that? The VXR?

VXR 1.25-4, 2-7

Also VX6 1-6

Mk4 1.5-5 and 2-8

I would also take a hard look at the Vortex PST II -1-6 and the Trijicon accupower 1-4 in that price range. Trijicon and Burris have some 1-8 optics's just over $1k which are ideal.

Burris has a 1-6 worth looking at.

Site Supporter
    Here is a good video from Lucky gunner with a "practical rifle" in this case a Tikka with a Leupold VXR- Patrol 1.25-4.

Last edited by HCM; 10-14-2017 at 05:23 PM.

There are quite a few discussions regarding Scout Rifles, scout-ish rifles, and practical rifles over on the Hill People Gear Forum. I think both of the Hill brothers are Randy Cain Practical Rifle alums as well.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

With great LPV scopes and red dots now, the argument for an IER scout scope is thin. Perhaps a Winchester lever gun, a very heavy caliber rifle that you want the action open for loading and mounting fixed aperture sights, or "to go with your scout rifle to work day."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I have a poly stock, Ruger Gunsite in .308. It has the OEM, “Scout Mount,” for forward mounted optics. I’ve noticed that there exists an XS rail product that allows the user to install optics in the forward mount (Scout) or conventional position.

I have a Leupold Mk 4 LRT 3.5-10 that is currently not in use, and I could put it on this Rifle.

My use is primarily for training...I plan to take the Gunsite Scout course AND Randy Cain’s GP Rifle Course in the immediate future.

My question to the cognoscenti is, should I roll with the XS long rail and the Mk4, or get a Scout scope setup for this? I have other conventional scoped hunting rifles, so that’s where my familiarity, in terms of usage lies.

Please advise and thanks.

I have one too (the project has kinda fallen on the back burner, though). My thought was to put the XS Rail on it, a Trijicon 1-8 Accupower in QD rings, and then use the forward section for an offset light setup. I'm seriously considering replacing the GSR with a Q "The Fix" now, though, so it will probably, eventually, get sold

Any field reports on the Fix?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Any field reports on the Fix?
    Nothing aside from the write up and test in Recoil that I've seen. They seem to be just entering the field.

User Tag List