Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Not Like Halloween?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Anyone Else Not Like Halloween?

If Halloween were restricted to a day's worth of kids having fun in silly costumes, I'm all for it. And let's not forget the perks of "Dress Up Like A Whore Day" amongst the age-appropriate merrymakers. But when people turn it into an entire month of stuff like this:

Name:  FB_IMG_1508010539980.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  40.4 KB

...No. Someone up at the office goes nuts with Halloween decorations. If they were cutesy, Grim Fandango-ish, Dia de Muertos decorations, that's fun. The aforementioned decorations just make my skin crawl.

And then there's the "fun" creepy commercials randomly interspersed during TV shows. A creepy commercial in the early afternoon would be amusing, but at 9:30pm before I'm about to go to bed? Not amusing.

Just me?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

what is this "commercial" thing you speak of? my PVR actively skips such things and my downloads don't even contain them.
    (solves that problem.)

the rest, eh, I dunno.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    You've hit a nerve with me on this subject. I have many neighbors who spend small fortunes on Halloween stuff. Their properties, especially their yards, are nearly completely covered with it. Then, on what I consider to be a more significant holiday weeks later - nothing. BUT, it gets better. When a certain Deity's birthday arrives on December 25th, they MIGHT put a wreath up, or a token string of lights. They obviously believe Halloween is far more important than Christmas. I also decorate for Halloween, but with a bit more taste - and - it's up for only a week or so. After all, Thanksgiving is near, followed by Christmas. Priorities. When I was growing up, we never had anything but a carved pumpkin and trick or treated one time.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Live and let live. I'm "bah humbug" with all of em, but my wife decorates for every single one. Even Cinco de Mayo...and we're not Mexican (she is from San Antonio though...). There's a lot worse things people could be doing with their spare time.

I am with you 100% on this one. Sorry, kids, its one of the most dangerous National holidays there is - perhaps second to Memorial Day in South Beach.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I have many neighbors who spend small fortunes on Halloween stuff. Their properties, especially their yards, are nearly completely covered with it.
    I have also seen that. I know some folks that keep a pile of miniature caskets in their backyard all year so they can make a "fun" graveyard in their front yard during Halloween.

Most of the time, that nonsense irritates me. A handful of times, it manages to be pretty cool.

I think Halloween is an event that inherently appeals to our collective irreverence, whereas other holidays are linked to something somber.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Like free candy as much as the next kid, but yeah I hate Halloween. I hate costumes, on me or on other people. I hate the entire concept of trick or treating. I really hate it when it bleeds over into the glorification of gore, grotesque, and especially of "evil". I hate that it seems like every tv show has to have a shitty, campy, "spooky" Halloween episode in October. Maybe it fulfills some sort of valuable "release valve" for society. I dunno. But I think it's f'ing stupid.

It's a black eye on the otherwise best season of the year.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Halloween is a lot more enjoyable if you 1) Are an adult and go to adult Halloween parties. 2) Have kids/nieces/nephews/etc to take trick or treating.

Christmas is similar in my opinion no young humans makes it more about drinking eggnog and watching Die Hard. The latter isn't bad, mind you, but kids do make it fun.

Personally, Thanksgiving is probably my favorite, because it involves food and football.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post

I think Halloween is an event that inherently appeals to our collective irreverence, whereas other holidays are linked to something somber.
    You may be on to something there. I'm pretty sure that is why it appeals to me. It's the one day a year I can scare the daylights outta people and act like a general all around juvenile ass and not only have it be considered acceptable behavior but be lauded as greatness! It's by far an away my favorite holiday of the year. Plus eating all the remainder candy is a plus. Even my yellow-eyed black cat loves prancing around with her bat wings and drawing attention from all the kids.

The month of decorations I couldn't care less about. I do like to deck out a bit 3-4 days ahead so prepared for the little spooks, goblins, and ghouls coming around.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    I find it odd that so many adults LOVE Halloween because I thought it was for kids.

The last time I thought Halloween was cool was in elementary school.

User Tag List